New Fuego member
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default New Fuego member

Gooday fellow Fuego owners. I have recently joined this forum and I am member of the French Car Club Tasmania.

I have an '85 Fuego which is in great condition body wise and interior. It has 6" x 14" aftermarket wheels on 195/65 tyres (I gather the correct tyre should be 195/60 which I plan to change once I have had a bit more wear out of the ones on it). The motor is good, but has done over 230K. Could run a bit smoother when cold, but I suspect the standard weber carb is probably in need of tuning/reconditioning.

I recently picked up another 86 Fuego cheap but with poor body and interior although 188K on the clock. I plan to use it for parts and to install some of the extras not in the good one.

In particular, I want to swap the engine and power steering. Is the power steering swap a difficult job once you have the motor out?

It also has air con that needs regassing and has slow electric windows. Is this worth swapping these units as well. The PLIP/CL is not working and there is no sender unit so won't bother with that.

Probably have to change the whole wiring loom to pick up these extras.

Welcome any thoughts ideas from other Fuego owners

Advertisement

Icon14 Welcome!

Welcome Phewgo

check first that your window tracks don't need cleaning before replacing...a quick clean etc...might just get them winding up quick again
    I think mistarenno did a post on the method ages go (you could find it using the forum search...There is also alot of information on this forum about converting the plip from infra red to RF (for about $30!)..search threads by "the Gonz".

Let us know if there are any parts you need picking up from the mainland (if you do) as I am comming down after Christmas & can bring them over for you.

we have quite a community of fuego lovers here...so you should find some interesting reading

Aus
    Aus
    ".....the good health of a pond is held in a delicate balance. A pond's condition
    deteriorates when the bottom environment cannot support animal life.
    The bottom is the area that runs out of oxygen first, it is where the most oxygen is used........"

'84 fuego GTX
    '87 fuego GTX
    '85 fuego GTX
    ....beginning to look a bit frightning isn't it.

Quote Originally Posted by PhewGo
    In particular, I want to swap the engine and power steering. Is the power steering swap a difficult job once you have the motor out?
    Check this thread for the reply by alpinesau, you are in a good position of having the spare car to supply all the parts!

Fuego power steering conversion

[QUOTE=PhewGo]Gooday fellow Fuego owners. I have recently joined this forum and I am member of the French Car Club Tasmania.

Welcome- We are coming to Tassie in April with our Fuego and I think a couple from the other parts of the Big Island may come as well.
    Be there around Targa time.

Warren
    1986 Renault Fuego GTX
    1972 Mercedes Benz 280E
    1988 Nissan Trakka Campervan
    1972 VW Kombi

In business, words are words; explanations are explanations, promises are promises, but only performance is reality.
    Harold Ganeen.

The power steering swap is easy BUT,MAKE SURE YOU MARK THE HEIGHT OF THE OLD RACK,before you undo it.I didn't and now have the chore of having to reset the rack height whilst the car is on wheel alignment equipment to mesure bump steer. It has taken a lot of searching to find an establishment that believes me when I say the rack height is adjustable, and even more searching to find someone who will do the job with/for me.(I now believe that most wheel alighnment shop workers are un-intelegent morons who don't care to understand the basics of steering geometry, and will reveal their stupidity by arguing the contrary!!)
    I think(??) the power steering column is heavier duty then the non powered, so swap the whole Kit and Caboodle.The power steering rack will just fit in or out of the holes in the body, but it took me about an hour of stuffing about to make it fit.Without a motor, it will be much easier as you can stand in the engine bay and pass it through easily.Good luck and welcome to the fuego gang,Jo

Tadpole

Sorry its taken so long to reply but access to the computer is difficult with two teenage sons!

Thanks for the advice, I have had an interesting read of all the posts about Fuegos and how to keep them on the road. The knowledge of others who have found out things (often the hard way) makes life easier for the rest of us.

Pleased to hear that some Fuego owners are planning to visit Tassie. Great time to be in Tas and thanks Australdi for the offer to bring parts. At this stage I don' t know what I need, but hopefully it will already be on the spare car.

Please let me know me know when/where you plan to be in the State and perhaps I could meet up with you and join you on a run somewhere.

As I mentioned, there is a French Car Club in Tas so I may be able to rope in some others (although I am the only Fuego owner)

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by PhewGo
    Sorry its taken so long to reply but access to the computer is difficult with two teenage sons!

Thanks for the advice, I have had an interesting read of all the posts about Fuegos and how to keep them on the road. The knowledge of others who have found out things (often the hard way) makes life easier for the rest of us.

Pleased to hear that some Fuego owners are planning to visit Tassie. Great time to be in Tas and thanks Australdi for the offer to bring parts. At this stage I don' t know what I need, but hopefully it will already be on the spare car.

Please let me know me know when/where you plan to be in the State and perhaps I could meet up with you and join you on a run somewhere.

As I mentioned, there is a French Car Club in Tas so I may be able to rope in some others (although I am the only Fuego owner)

Cheers

Have had e-mails from Ben Sturges and he will try and organise a meal, get together or "something"

We are arriving on 22nd April and staying in Devonport for start of Targa amd may base there for a couple of weeks.
    1986 Renault Fuego GTX
    1972 Mercedes Benz 280E
    1988 Nissan Trakka Campervan
    1972 VW Kombi

In business, words are words; explanations are explanations, promises are promises, but only performance is reality.
    Harold Ganeen.

BIG job converting to power steer. Things that are different and will need to be changed include;

- rack and tie rods
    - steering column all the the way to the steering wheel
    - Castor rods (pwr steer runs 3 degrees more castor)
    - ignition module moved to left strutr tower
    - Distributor - different and located under inlet manifold on pwr steer
    - Heater hoses
    - heater tap in different position
    - Full engine bay wiring loom - to account for moved ignition system
    - emmision control gear all in different positions
    - windscreen washer bottle - moved to under guard on pwr steer

etc etc etc.... Not for the faint hearted!!!
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Default G'Day, PhewGo!

Welcome to the best Froggy family around. If it weren't for this forum, I probably would have ditched my Fuego when I had my ignition problems a couple of years ago. You learn to love the car the longer you have it, though.

Catch you 'round the board!

Thread Information