Renault 5 Turbo II (increase power)
  • Register
  • Help

Default Renault 5 Turbo II (increase power)

ok next year the R5t will be entered into the Adelaide Classic, the car will be as original as possible however, we want to increase the power output,
    1. anybody got any clues
    2. the livery will be done by an adelaide graphic artist but we want to make the car look like a renault elf from the 1980's (pictures if anybody has got any please)
    3. cooling for the intercooler

lemme know,
    cheers,
    goober

Advertisement
    only the subdivisions still think it's a premier brand (benz), but they remain good for towing your airstream to the next trailer park in dallas and showing off to your stripper

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by goober
    ok next year the R5t will be entered into the Adelaide Classic, the car will be as original as possible however, we want to increase the power output,
    1. anybody got any clues
    2. the livery will be done by an adelaide graphic artist but we want to make the car look like a renault elf from the 1980's (pictures if anybody has got any please)
    3. cooling for the intercooler

lemme know,
    cheers,
    goober
    You could probably run a temperature operated micro spray to cool the intercooler but as the intercooler is actually in the engine bay the steam/water might be a problem

If you can keep the boost temperatures in check then you could probably up the boost slightly (10% perhaps) without too much of a problem...

You might want to chat with someone like Rennosport or Alpine affair...

Fellow Frogger!

These might be of use. If you like them let me know, I can email the full size versions with some other shots of the same cars.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Renault 5 Turbo II (increase power)-pict3065.jpg   Renault 5 Turbo II (increase power)-pict3069.jpg  
    2013 Grand Kangoo
    2011 Megane 3 RS
    2001 Clio Sport 172 (23/85)
    1997 Spider (No. 652)
    1988 5 GT Turbo Phase II
    1968 10

Quote Originally Posted by Craig
    These might be of use. If you like them let me know, I can email the full size versions with some other shots of the same cars.
    thanks Craig,
    can you email the pics to me, and do you know where to locate a maxi bonnet and front bar?
    only the subdivisions still think it's a premier brand (benz), but they remain good for towing your airstream to the next trailer park in dallas and showing off to your stripper

Quote Originally Posted by goober
    and do you know where to locate a maxi bonnet and front bar?
    Try here.....

http://www.politecnic.com/renault5carrosserie.htm

Capot = bonnet
    Aile = mudguard
    Bouclier = bumper

It even lists the Maxi air cleaner kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    Try here.....

http://www.politecnic.com/renault5carrosserie.htm

Capot = bonnet
    Aile = mudguard
    Bouclier = bumper

It even lists the Maxi air cleaner kit.
    thanks simon, i have sent them an email, i only hope they understand englaise
    bg

1000+ Posts

Goobs,

Go for the bigger intercooler, every degree makes an extra hp on those little fellas...
    Maybe also smaller wheels! the TRXs were pretty small, so to keep gearing drop down a size or two (not sure what you currently have though!)

Before going down the path of ceramic turbos & expensive bits etc, you would probably be better off using a computer or two!
    Stick one on the ignition & then add a few sensors, you should be able to tune them a bit.
    Speak with the guy you bought it off & see if you can get hold of Bill, he's got a blue one & doing about 200rwhp... lots of $ though!

(shhh not a word about poochie though!)

Having owned one of these previously I looked into the best ways to get more power at varying cost levels. Consistent answers at the cheaper, more standard end seemed to be bigger intercooler and adjustment of the boost. These could take it from the standard 160 to around 185hp.

Much over 185 seems to mean risk with the standard pistons - I gather even the factory 185hp kit came with new pistons. As soon as you get into piston replacement a lot more can be done but the expense goes up very quickly.

I seem to remember I still have some tuning documents about the factory tuning kits and some other stuff at home. I'll have a look tonight and let you know if there's anything usefull.

Will also pm you with some more pics of the elf cars.

Good luck - they are a fantastic machine.

Quote Originally Posted by nate
    see if you can get hold of Bill, he's got a blue one & doing about 200rwhp... lots of $ though!

This is the Bill solution, more than a couple of sensors for an extra sensory experience :-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Renault 5 Turbo II (increase power)-5t2-moteur.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    This is the Bill solution, more than a couple of sensors for an extra sensory experience :-)
    Looks like baling twine holding the intercooler in- hasn't he heard of cable-ties?
    205gti

How many engine mods can you do within the Adelaide Classic regulations?
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Re Classic Adelaide rules (and Targa Tasmania) a 5 Turbo could run in either limited modified (LMS or fully modified (MS). In LMS you must keep the original type block and head but the internals are free. In MS heads are free and even the block can be changed within certain limits.

In both cases there are limits in using technology that isn't from the period and this really limits efi changes. For instance, a modern programmable ecu is not allowed. I'd be surprised if moderm ceramic, roller bearing turbo's were allowed.

The aim of the regs is clearly to allow the sort of changes that were common in the period, although there is a lot of safety freedom, for instance in brakes. Whilst MS gives more freedoms, there is also a handicap penalty of going to MS - 2 or 3 seconds per minute. Therefore, if you want to go the MS route, it has to be worth a lot in terms of stage times, to get the same result.

Quote Originally Posted by Alby
    Re Classic Adelaide rules (and Targa Tasmania) a 5 Turbo could run in either limited modified (LMS or fully modified (MS). In LMS you must keep the original type block and head but the internals are free. In MS heads are free and even the block can be changed within certain limits.

In both cases there are limits in using technology that isn't from the period and this really limits efi changes. For instance, a modern programmable ecu is not allowed. I'd be surprised if moderm ceramic, roller bearing turbo's were allowed.

The aim of the regs is clearly to allow the sort of changes that were common in the period, although there is a lot of safety freedom, for instance in brakes. Whilst MS gives more freedoms, there is also a handicap penalty of going to MS - 2 or 3 seconds per minute. Therefore, if you want to go the MS route, it has to be worth a lot in terms of stage times, to get the same result.
    Alby,
    this year i ran a Dino Ferrari in the classic adelaide, and at scrutinneering they looked at the .....................headlights, indicators...................and the quote of the week "where's the motor in this thing", then it was ok u can leave now..................wheeeeewwwwwwwww, lucky they were on the ball (not), and in the thoroughbred touring category they only worry if u are wearing a seat belt.

with the r5t i will run Brembo's (discs, pads and calipers) change the intercooler or position it so it gets the cool air, and see how we go, the livery will be based on the renault elf maxi, with maxi bonnet and lights and front bar, then after the event it all goes back to original. i am awaiting from Colin at alpine affair some $$ costings on HP increase and other than that i reckon that should do it, and we only have a year to wait till Targa NZ and Classic adelaide,

btw, just to keep me busy we are doing a restoration job on a lamborghini which should be finished in jan/feb, so it will leave us about 6 months to get the r5t done.

anybody got any idea on the east cost targa in NSW?

Hi Goober,

Yeah, I had the same experience at Targa Tasmania - scrutineering was really only a basic safety check. The theoretical catch is that if you do very well (like win it) you have to present your car for a post race check where it may be checked much more thoroughly for compliance with rules. Having never won one of these events I'm not sure how often these checks are actually done.

Also in Targa Tassy 2000 the classic category was actually being led by a Datsun 1600 for much of the event until it was protested against by another competitor. On checking it was found to have an LSD which was not legal for its class and it was disqualified. I'm quite sure the owner was not deliberately breaking the rules - simply hadn't looked at the tech regs closely enough.

Mind you, I think the 5 Turbo's would have to be the best car you could possibly use to do well in the classic tarmac rallies - as long as the're well sorted they are fantastic and there's tons of scope within the rules for them anyway. This was the reason I bought a 5 Turbo, but then didn't end up with the budget I thought i'd have to prepare and run it.

Anyway, I'll be watching your progress with a lot of interest (and a touch of envy!). And I love that you get to practice on a Lambo first!

By the way, the latest news I saw on the East Coast Targa in NSW was that it would not be running in 2006 due to budget difficulties - they do have a website so it may have updated news.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Alby
    Hi Goober,

Yeah, I had the same experience at Targa Tasmania - scrutineering was really only a basic safety check. The theoretical catch is that if you do very well (like win it) you have to present your car for a post race check where it may be checked much more thoroughly for compliance with rules. Having never won one of these events I'm not sure how often these checks are actually done.

Also in Targa Tassy 2000 the classic category was actually being led by a Datsun 1600 for much of the event until it was protested against by another competitor. On checking it was found to have an LSD which was not legal for its class and it was disqualified. I'm quite sure the owner was not deliberately breaking the rules - simply hadn't looked at the tech regs closely enough.

Mind you, I think the 5 Turbo's would have to be the best car you could possibly use to do well in the classic tarmac rallies - as long as the're well sorted they are fantastic and there's tons of scope within the rules for them anyway. This was the reason I bought a 5 Turbo, but then didn't end up with the budget I thought i'd have to prepare and run it.

Anyway, I'll be watching your progress with a lot of interest (and a touch of envy!). And I love that you get to practice on a Lambo first!

By the way, the latest news I saw on the East Coast Targa in NSW was that it would not be running in 2006 due to budget difficulties - they do have a website so it may have updated news.

Cheers
    alby,
    i thought as much re the east coast, cos from the reports of those that attended it and then the classic adelaide, well the classic is a well run event with lots of police participation, and it is always run from the CBD as a daily starting point. The fees are high but what the heck, when u get to have fun, have police look after u and have the hills country towns come out in force what more could u ask for.

we will have the R5T, up to some sort of spec that will take on a few current cars, and seeing the 2006 event will be a official porsche event i would like to have some with a boxster or early porker. and we must never forget that Bob Jane T marts have offered to give me some really wierd sticky (road legal)rubber with a 2000km life span, so the fat bum of the R5 stays on line!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fellow Frogger!

Default Targa NZ

Hi
    would be great to have another Fast Frog here!
    The regs here are fairly free, so vehicle eligibility shold not be too much of an issue, you declare what you have done and the organisers choose your class, if you are not up front, they may make choces yu don't like, but not often.
    You will be required to run on Dunlop tyres, they are supplied at very favourable prices from Dunlop NZ, and are very good road legal race tyres. Total of 6 tyres allwed for the event, or take time penalties for extras.
    Don't go too low, or you will destry the underside of the car, and protect the inside of guards etc as stone damage can be extensive. (The A110 fronts are very sad, and the leading edge of our rears are even worse.)

1000+ Posts

old thread born again!
    http://translate.google.com/translat...&hl=en&ie=UTF8

Original: http://www.politecnic.com/renault5mecanique.htm

I'll also be re-doing all the rubber bushes with nolethane (or whatever it is), as mine are a tad knackered, so if you want a set, let me know! (down the track in a few months!)

Quote Originally Posted by nate
    Goobs,

Before going down the path of ceramic turbos & expensive bits etc, you would probably be better off using a computer or two!
    Stick one on the ignition & then add a few sensors, you should be able to tune them a bit.
    Speak with the guy you bought it off & see if you can get hold of Bill, he's got a blue one & doing about 200rwhp... lots of $ though!

A guy in the UK is using a Gordini headed 1400cc Renault 5 turbo enigne, running a GT28RS turbo, standalone management and 20psi of boost. Standard head, valves, camshaft.

Runs 260bhp, and has run a 11.5 standing quarter with 121 terminals.

Alby,
    I know the guy with the Datto 1600 that got caught with the diff problem at the post event scrutineering some years ago. From what I remember, it was not the LSD, but the actual ratio used was not one available in that period.

Simply it seems to me that it was that the powers that be were upset that one of the more favoured runners did not win the Classic section, and then spent most of a day pulling the car apart to eventually find the diff ratio was incorrect. This mostly occurred I believe as another competitor put in a protest about the 1600, which he has a right to do, except that from what I was told he just protested the car and did not actually say what part of it was illegal.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

Hi Alan,

Sorry for the delay in responding, but been on holidays with the family and didn't look at a pc or mobile phone the whole time.

You're right. The South Aussie who won the classic event that year in a Lancia Fulvia HF (full works rally spec) protested against the Datto. I'm not sure of the details of the protest though. All means that I still dont know how well they check winning cars after the event. I take the simple view of sticking within the rules, then there's never any trouble. In any case I like what they try to do with the rules in these events, ie keep the cars somewhat like they were iin period. Also, there's still tons of room to play around within the rules.

Mind you I have a wolf 3d ecu on my a310, so this will have to go if i ever get the budget for targa tassie or classic adelaide. The New Zealand event sounds good tho. Could run as is and have a lot of fun.

Cheers

Thread Information