Virage problem-gearbox or clutch?
  • Register
  • Help

Default Virage problem-gearbox or clutch?

hi
    well, the girlfriend with her visiting sister from Grafton trundle off this morning from Perth to Albany for the weekend and the Virage is running a treat when I get a call, 100km north of Albany, the car is making a metal on metal noise ... we discount all the obvious things like loose wheelnuts etc, all fluid levels are as they should be, belts ok ... starts car with clutch pedal in, no noise, clutch pedal out (ie. off the floor) and lotsa noise. methinks clutch release bearing, though clutch kit and new rear seal done a few months ago, so hmmm ... a tad confused. She limps into Albany at 60kph in third cos its quieter than top gear and the RAC mechanic seems to think its a gearbox problem - bearing failure says he and was surprised that the car had made it that far!

Advertisement

Guess what I'm doing this sunday (oh, and if you hire a car trailer in Perth, you must have 2000kg rated towbar) ... two questions.
    1. are gearbox failures common in the R12/Virage? and
    2. anyone in Perth got a spare box they want to swap for cash?

cheers frank

Quote Originally Posted by Trackyellow
    1. are gearbox failures common in the R12/Virage? and
    2. anyone in Perth got a spare box they want to swap for cash?

cheers frank
    Normally 12 gearboxes are very reliable, the only killer is a lack of oil or the gearbox being damaged from being given the Big Rev Kev treatment behind a tuned 15/17 motor. There have been some remarkable stories of recovery though of dry gearboxes being given oil and reviving.

My thoughts are that it isn't the thrust bearing though. If there is no noise when the clutch pedal is pressed down, that would tend to indicate a gearbox problem, as there would be no movement of shafts in the gearbox. With no pedal pressed, the input shaft is spinning.

Another thought could be that it is the freak occurance of the roll pin for the input shaft has fallen into the gearbox and been chewed. I've only heard of this once from where a gearbox was used as an anvil to force the input shaft through the clutch plate, the consequent force crushing the rollpin, causing it to fall out of its hole into the gearbox with the resultant damage. Obviously when the gearbox oil is drained that will give a clue whether the damage is internal to the gearbox, if it has that nice metallic appearance!

thanks Simon
    i'll know a bit more tomorrow when I drive down to get the car ... the pin explanation sounds quite plausible, i'm sure stranger things have happened! ... all i need now is for my HZ Kingswood van (all stock and in great nick) to do something terminal on the way down. or back. wonder if I've jsut jinxed myself?
    cheers frank

1000+ Posts

Nahhhh, the Kingy will be fine!

Frank, isn't this JohnW's old car? If so, I'm sure the gearbox oil has always been on spec, level wise.

Renwreck should have a few boxes for sale for not much, I'm sure.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Sounds very like a collapsed input shaft bearing to me
    Cheers
    Mike
    Armageddon was yesterday
    Today we have a problem

2000 406 Hdi X 3
    2003 307 Hdi

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    Nahhhh, the Kingy will be fine!

Frank, isn't this JohnW's old car? If so, I'm sure the gearbox oil has always been on spec, level wise.

Renwreck should have a few boxes for sale for not much, I'm sure.

Stuey
    Hi Stuey
    yep, it was John's car, so servicing never an issue! i think as Ren25 says, input shaft? Gawd, who knows, i've commandeered the nephew's Calais, so the kingsy is staying home and have managed to get a mother of car trailers! will keep you posted on what the diagnosis reveals ....
    cheers f.

Good luck Frank
    Cheers
    Mike
    Armageddon was yesterday
    Today we have a problem

2000 406 Hdi X 3
    2003 307 Hdi

well, guys i made it there and back ... left at 4.30am and got back at 4.15pm without any hassles. the Virage is drivable, but with one hell of a racket with clutch engaged, in neutral or any gear. sounds like a spring or bearing has come loose and is spinning around inside ... it started off as a whirring sound and then got progressively worse. looks like a few phonecalls tomorrow. at least the 16 is running sweet. (oh, and good thing I didn't take the Kingswood van, the alternator pooped itself yesterday, so i would have been stranded too!)

Quote Originally Posted by Trackyellow
    well, guys i made it there and back ... left at 4.30am and got back at 4.15pm without any hassles. the Virage is drivable, but with one hell of a racket with clutch engaged, in neutral or any gear. sounds like a spring or bearing has come loose and is spinning around inside ... it started off as a whirring sound and then got progressively worse. looks like a few phonecalls tomorrow. at least the 16 is running sweet. (oh, and good thing I didn't take the Kingswood van, the alternator pooped itself yesterday, so i would have been stranded too!)
    Aarrgghh!!! Loulou likes the south-west, so it can't have been pique!!

Bad luck Frank - and it's very puzzling as it is the last thing I'd have expected to go wrong on that car.

Some very careful questions might be asked about what was done when the clutch was fixed.

Do let us know the outcome.

cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Thread Information