R19 questions
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: R19 questions

Tadpole

Icon5 R19 questions

Hi,

I've just become responsible for maintaining my son's 1991 R19 and would appreciate some advice.

His aircon needs regassing. I'm guessing that this means an exxy replacement due to the Renault using old style greenhouse gas as refrigerant. Please tell me I'm wrong.

Advertisement

I'm also trying to fit a CD player in to replace the radio (not original). Got the power and speakers sorted but can't find an earth wire. Any advice welcome.

Where do I get driver heads for undoing the security style keys that hold the dash together? Naturally I'm happy to leave the dash in but unless I get a response to my last Q I'm gonna have to search for an earth wire.

Looking thru the threads here it seems that many people have probs with the keyless remote part of the central locking. Is it a waste of time to try and fix this if the central locking works with the key?

I drained the radiator by undoing the bottom radiator hose after flushing it thru with some "end rust" cleaner. Does the radiator actually have a drain plug?

Thanks in advance
    Col

Fellow Frogger! dave from bendigo's Avatar

Hi, here are some answers:

The radiator does NOT have a drain plug

On my 19 I cut the earth wire on the clock and used a 2 way joiner so it still worked as well as the cd player(The clock just prises out of the dash no tools required)

I think air con uses cfc free gas

And the remote locking is infra red style not radio, that is why it is basically not very useful, you can replace the transmitter internals and get a new blipper to have a radio setup- I did not bothe though.

hope this helps, seeya, Dave
    "Some minds are like concrete...all mixed up and permanently set."

Tadpole

Default R19 Questions

As far as the refrigerant goes for the aircond the car should have refrigerant R134a (a non cfc refrigerant and non ozone depleting substance).
    If this is the case it should be pressure tested, leak tested and evacuated prior to recharging

You cannot use old CFC R12 based refrigerants in a R134a system as oils and seals are not compatibleand it will damage the system.

It is also worthwile to mention that there is a lot of drop in refrigerants that are propane based and not advisable to use eg F12 etc

Car manufacturers including Renault only specify R134a to be used in the cars' air cond for safety reasons. Your cars hand book in specifications should nominate the refrigerant and charge.

Fellow Frogger!

Default R19 Questions

The screws you mention are standard torx type screws and any hardware store or auto shop will have a set of drivers usually with some sort of handle that you swap them in and out of. (sometimes the come with ordinary slotted and phillips head drivers). You can pay between $10 and $50 depending on the size of the set. If you dismantle the dash just take care that you note which screw goes where as they are different sizes. If you get a Haynes manual you will find detailed instructions on removing the dash and instrument cluster. You will probaly find this useful as you are bound to find some instrument lights will need replacing now or in the near future. Have fun.

Philip

Tadpole

Icon14 Thanks Heaps

Thanks people. Your answers are a great help to a froggie newbie like me.

Col

1000+ Posts

The 1991 R19 has had R12 originally.
    Wouldn't bother with 134a for many reasons. HR12 from Bursons for about $20 works fine.
    Posted on this previously.
    I filled our two R19 with it and it works very well as long as you have a dry system. But this goes for all gases.
    My daughter and wife drove from Melbourne to the Gold Coast over two days in near record heat with the A/C on all the way. No problems.

If you have a rattly dash then its usually the mounting on the top of the dash on either side near the windscreen. These brackets are crap.
    I mad some stronger ones and this cured the notorious noisy dash.

Hi Col,

You can still find supplies of old style gas, it's quite legal to sell it. It is not made any more (here anyway) but existing stocks of new gas and recovered gas from old systems is quite legal and if you look around you will find it. There are also hybrid gas types that run happily on old systems. I had a quote of around $400 to upgrade the aircon to new gas on my old R18 some years ago. I ended up sourcing old gas for $50.

My guess is that 19's actually do run the new gas so you will probably get away with it cheaply any way.

Is the car a manual or an auto? If it is an auto make sure that the fluid is changed regularly and it would probably be worth investing in an aftermarket cooler for it. The auto box problems on 19's are legendary whether due to porr maintenance, poor design or whatever. Treating an existing functioning auto kindly will probably save your son and you money in the long run.

Hope this helps

John
    Woo Hoo Honi ko'u 'elemu (Hawaiian)

I had a Renault 19 automatic for 3 years and loved the car. I think they are very good reliable cars. Except when they are bombed in Paris in the suburbs.

1000+ Posts

[
    My guess is that 19's actually do run the new gas so you will probably get away with it cheaply any way.

Sure John, they will run on the new (134a) gas but you have to change the oil, seals and receiver dryer. And then it's still not as efficient as HR12.

Default stereo wiring

If the radio feed is as crappy as the fuego's, run a new wire from the battery for the main power feed, and also a new wire for the the ignition switcher, or else get used to the thing cutting out when you crank it.
    I hope I'm correct in assuming that earth is earth, as Ive always just tapped an earth into the nearest non weather sealing bit of metal.
    Re Torx bits.Buy the best set that money can buy you,and make sure you use the largest bit possible.Sometimes its possible to use the bit one size smaller,and you totaly stuff the thread.If this happens, get the dremel tool out and turn it into a slotted screw.Most my torx bolts are now slotted.
    Jo

Quote Originally Posted by danielsydney
    I had a Renault 19 automatic for 3 years and loved the car. I think they are very good reliable cars. Except when they are bombed in Paris in the suburbs.
    Except when they break down Daniel. You had your share of problems, including the auto gearbox.
    Woo Hoo Honi ko'u 'elemu (Hawaiian)

Except when they break down Daniel. You had your share of problems, including the auto gearbox.
    Your quite right there. With them dating now they might turn out to be an expensive "french nissan pulsar"....

Thread Information