Scenic 2.0 Oil Filters
  • Register
  • Help

Default Scenic 2.0 Oil Filters

Am happy owner of 2004 Scenic 2.0 Auto. Only unhappy thing is the Nissan Renault dealer has stopped selling Renaults and have to go to Bris for service.
    I have a question re the very small oil filters. There is a Ryco Z56B for the R25 GTX and Fuego. This is twice the size and fits. Have not done the change yet but am thinking that this could be an improvement. Going on what I have read up on oil filters.
    There are no suppliers in Aussie of synthetic filters which are supposed to be better.
    Your ideas apreciated.
    Peter

Advertisement

Stick to genuine or try Ken @ Caravelle in Melbourne for alternative.

Have used the small filters for years on R12/R16/R17/R25 without issue.

My folks run a Renault Laguna I and a Kangoo van, they are 120km from SA's only Renault dealer. It's a bit of a drive, but the dealer has always bent over backwards to assist with loan cars etc.

My mum has driven more new Renaults than I have! :-)
    Last edited by Europa; 21st November 2005 at 06:19 PM.
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Quote Originally Posted by Revscene
    Am happy owner of 2004 Scenic 2.0 Auto. Only unhappy thing is the Nissan Renault dealer has stopped selling Renaults and have to go to Bris for service.
    I have a question re the very small oil filters. There is a Ryco Z56B for the R25 GTX and Fuego. This is twice the size and fits. Have not done the change yet but am thinking that this could be an improvement. Going on what I have read up on oil filters.
    There are no suppliers in Aussie of synthetic filters which are supposed to be better.
    Your ideas apreciated.
    Peter
    I believe the 6 liter capacity offsets the filter size - I mean with 6 liters its much less likely to be contaminated per litre - and will remain relatively clean for a longer time.
    Actually I dont think the genuine filter is all that small anyway, compared to other cars I have serviced.
    But mainly - the warranty issue. You can service your own car to the book - but using a non-genuine filter would definitely be a reason for refusal of warranty if something happened to the engine.
    Last time I got filters, I got 2 delivered to me (one for next time) so I didnt have to keep going to the dealer, although for me only about 20 kms.
    Why dont you order say 4 filters from nearest genuine supplier, to offset the freight cost. Just a suggestion.

Cheers

Fellow Frogger!

A larger filter will also reduce oil pressure. Use the genuine, buy a few at a time, with the ring seal and all will be fine and dandy.
    2013 Grand Kangoo
    2011 Megane 3 RS
    2001 Clio Sport 172 (23/85)
    1997 Spider (No. 652)
    1988 5 GT Turbo Phase II
    1968 10

If you must use the larger filter I would be adding a small amount of oil to take up the difference in size as the stated volume of oil for the genuine filter is 200ml and the larger one, which I have one of here is just a tad bigger...about 400ml I would guess.
    Craig, how much difference in oil pressure would a filter make if it is 2 times the size of original, but the capacity of the sump is 6L?? Just curious?
    If you were worried about the sizing of the filter, aValvoline VO3 would be a supplement, most Supacheap stores stock the Valvoline and they are a better price than the Ryco equivilent usually.
    Chris.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Quote Originally Posted by Craig
    A larger filter will also reduce oil pressure. Use the genuine, buy a few at a time, with the ring seal and all will be fine and dandy.
    How would a larger oil filter reduce oil pressure? The pressure is controlled by the relief valve as far as I know...
    '02 Renaultsport Clio
    '69 MGB Mk II (Group S race car)

Default Impressed & humbled

Wow! What a wealth of info. Thanks so much.
    To clarify my thinking on larger filter. Seeing one main issue with filters and oil is they all must remove particles which contaminate and create wear issues then the size and area of filter paper is important. Hence larger filter.
    That said if one is using an expensive semi-syn or syn oil then it could be possible to extend oil changes beyond 15k or maybe even just a filter change? Am changing at 10k intervals at present.
    Issue of oil pressure changing would be pretty small as is dependent on pump and relief valve.
    Another thing is these small filters will bypass the filter completely beyond 3000rpm or so.
    Am using Motul 4100 Power 15/50. This is a change from Penrite HPR15 15/60.
    Chris thanks for the Valvoline V03, sounds like you may have been down this road?
    Monday next to Bris/Springwood Euro for 20000 B service minus the oil/filter change. They may not be impressed by my filter change.
    Got to say that as a first time Renault experience it has been and trust will continue to be that way.
    Peter

Revscene,
    No I haven't been down tha road as yet. Have the Elf oil here, 5/L for 24 litres of 10w/40 was the price I was quoted from Onshore Oils in Hemmant Brisbane last week or so. Give Adrian a call...0439 660 295...office number, 3893 3022 and you could pick up some when you are down here. Adrian is good, he knows all the volumes of oil required too, not like some Oil companies that say the Scenic has a 4.5L sump (That Oil price is the best I have had for a while, the closest was through my brother in law who works for an auto supplier but that was Fuch's Oils.)

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Hong Kong Puggy
    Yes thanks for that. Are you saying $250 for 24litres? Or is it $24 for 5litres of Elf?
    Will look into it when in Brisbane next week.
    All manuals I have looked at show the Scenic 2.0 as 6litres pan capacity. Each time have changed (twice now) have used approx. 5.5 and this time maybe a little more with the bigger filter. Hope the oil companies are not doing the oil changes.
    Is the Elf a semi-syn oil?
    Peter

Good luck with the Ryco, do you know if it has an non-return valve?
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Quote Originally Posted by Revscene
    Hong Kong Puggy
    Yes thanks for that. Are you saying $250 for 24litres? Or is it $24 for 5litres of Elf?
    Will look into it when in Brisbane next week.
    All manuals I have looked at show the Scenic 2.0 as 6litres pan capacity. Each time have changed (twice now) have used approx. 5.5 and this time maybe a little more with the bigger filter. Hope the oil companies are not doing the oil changes.
    Is the Elf a semi-syn oil?
    Peter
    Revscene,
    Sorry about the misunderstanding...it's 24 Litres for $120 ($5 per litre) which I think is a good price. I'd give Adrian a call before you get here to make sure they have it, but I wouldn't say it would be aproblem as they have a large warehouse.
    Europa, the Ryco does have a non-return valve....standard across the Ryco range AFIK

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

Have changed to Motul 4100 Power 15/50 from Penrite HPR 15 15/60 and the Ryco Z56B and all is well.
    Actually is running smoother and even quieter and am pretty sure is not my imagination.
    So will see how it goes.
    I have a Fuel Saver installed and getting best results on highway hauls of 7.4lts 100km and around town stop and go 8.8-9.5lts.
    Have had the Fuel Saver since almost new but seems to be a good result for the one time spend of $180.

Thread Information