Megane 225 Cup - Running in / Turbo
  • Register
  • Help

Default Megane 225 Cup - Running in / Turbo

Well i got my car yesterday, and i was thinking about running in.

Having never owned a Turbo car, whats the best thing to do. the book says dont go crazy for the first 1000 kms .... then go for it ?

Advertisement

Also with a turbo car, should i warm it up in the morning ? do i leave it cool down before i turn it off ?

With the Clio it just would not play when it was cold ?

So any advice, tips are most welcome.

Thanks

Dom

Quote Originally Posted by DrRenaultsport
    Well i got my car yesterday, and i was thinking about running in.

Having never owned a Turbo car, whats the best thing to do. the book says dont go crazy for the first 1000 kms .... then go for it ?

Also with a turbo car, should i warm it up in the morning ? do i leave it cool down before i turn it off ?

With the Clio it just would not play when it was cold ?

So any advice, tips are most welcome.

Thanks

Dom
    Don't quote me on this, but having raced turbos for 10 years the only thing I'd say is warm it up. We've rallied lots of brand new turbos, there's no wy I'm going to spend ages "running in" a turbo, and we often finish a stage with the whole thing red hot and let it cool down for not long. I think those turbo timers etc are a waste of time, if we don't damage them with the way we treat them , no road driving will be as bad as that! (And we run lots more boost etc)
    Having said that, they do like to be warmed up. Have fun with it!
    Chris
    205gti

Running in?? There are many theories on this particular topic.
    http://www.mototuneusa.com/ search for running in
    This guy has been qquoted here before, and most wil agree with what he says, some won't which is expectable. You have to draw your own conclusions.
    I can tell you to definatly warm up the car before giving it curry in the morning and when you go to turn it off also let it run down for about 30 secs.
    In my old Saab 900t I used to start the car before I put on my seatbelt and sunnies to give it time to warm a little and when I was going to stop, I'd take off the belt, gather all the things I was taking then turn it off(saves you sitting and counting to 30)Alternativly you could fit a turbo timer, but I am not sure how this would go with a warrantied car being an aftermarket fitting(unless Renault have one too). If you are electronically minded you could build a Jaycar intelligent timer which moniters the way you have driven and cools down relative to this(hard run, longer time)
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Fellow Frogger!

I am not sure that turbo timers are entirely legal anymore.

My mate and his 280ZT put a turbo timer on his car.

Now the Z cars of that vintage have a known problem, of springing leaks in the fuel line, around the intake manifold.

The combo of them both.. one day leaves it parked turbo timer on.. rushes off to the shops... comes back to his Z being extinguished by the fire'ys after a crowbar to the bonnet.

Dunno if its relevant, but I guess other things, like it jumping into gear could pose a problem.

He was able to claim insurance on it and buy himself a normally aspirated 260Z, which he loves even more, despite the lack of twin turbos. Much nicer looking car imo, but I have a soft spot for 240/260z's

Thought it worth a mention

David.
    Powered by high grade French plutonium.

Quote Originally Posted by mantra
    I am not sure that turbo timers are entirely legal anymore.
    The latest I have read on this is that if you fit a timer you MUST have a correctly functioning hand-brake.

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Icon12

Renault advised us that a turbo timer wasn't neccesary, nor was running the car afterwards...it's been designed to be switched straight off....but it should be in the manual hehehe
    do any guys ever read those cute books?

Aus
    Aus
    ".....the good health of a pond is held in a delicate balance. A pond's condition
    deteriorates when the bottom environment cannot support animal life.
    The bottom is the area that runs out of oxygen first, it is where the most oxygen is used........"

'84 fuego GTX
    '87 fuego GTX
    '85 fuego GTX
    ....beginning to look a bit frightning isn't it.

Quote Originally Posted by Australdi
    Renault advised us that a turbo timer wasn't neccesary, nor was running the car afterwards...it's been designed to be switched straight off....but it should be in the manual hehehe

Aus
    Desperate last resort Di...
    205gti

Quote Originally Posted by Australdi
    That's very interesting, turbo's get rather warm at any time and if you've been givin it stick it'd be real hot...not un-known for road cars to have blowers 'glow' with heat I'd be running it for a little while no matter what. Small price to pay.....HKP

Aus
    The key word is highlighted, girls yes but we men don't need to read a manual......may-be that's why relationships are so hard, no-one ever gave us a book..not that we'd read it.

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

Australdi has a great point, how often do we get questions on here that are simple manual type questions (like rain sensitivity setting on auto-wipers etc.)

Remember folks, the index is your friend. The answer will be with you faster than you can type the question on to Aussiefrogs!
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

But you cant do a text search on a printed car manual.

So 1900's!

David.