Dizzy & Points in the 16TS?
  • Register
  • Help

Default Dizzy & Points in the 16TS?

hi
    did the plugs on the auto '76 TS today and was all pumped to do the points but alas! there was a bolt with a spring around it attached through to the outside of the distributor body - and it holds the static side of the 2 piece points, so the parts I had won't work and it is very different to my donor auto 16TS (2 months apart) which would have accepted the points (ie. no shaft).
    Does anyone know the purpose of the 'spring' bolt or can I get rid of it (wishful thinking)? maybe easier to swap distributors ... and how does one remove/adjsut the dizzy for the timing? much confusion!!
    cheers frank

Advertisement

Any chance of a pic? Which dizzy is it? Ducellier, Bosch or Femsa? It sounds like some sort of bodge. Does the bolt on the spring have a wire connecting that side of the points to the condenser? I'd imagine it would be insulated from the dizzy body?

There is a clamp at the base of the dizzy which clamps it onto the head, undo the nut on the clamp (11mm) remove the clamp and lift the dizzy out. Probably before doing that, set the motor to No 1 TDC, that way it will be fairly easy to insert and static time the new dizzy. There is an offset slot drive on the base of the dizzy that slots into the drive gear splined onto the oil pump drive shaft.

Check the code on the replacement distributor to make sure that it is the correct one for a TSA, if a Ducellier, the markings will be in the form of R.xxx D.xx (x = a number, the R number being the centrifugal curve, the D number the vacuum curve). Different dizzy's can have different advance settings
    Last edited by Simon; 18th November 2005 at 01:37 AM. Reason: Dizzy info. added

Tadpole

The bolt and spring allows you to set the dwell on the outside of the distributor while the engine is running.
    If I remember correctly you can use the standard Ducellier points if you place an extra washer under the bolt fixing the static piece to the plate inside the distributor.
    I once lost the spring and bolt (piong and it was gone ) and had to do this conversion.

PS. I think it would be great if questions about R16s like this could be posted to the R16Site Forum to build an R16 "Knowledge Base"

I think it would be worthwhile creating a Q&A section in your R16 forum, where posts from here could be massaged and saved as archives.

After all, there are MANY more heads in here to solve any given R16 problem.

David.
    Powered by high grade French plutonium.

Tadpole

If I understand you correctly, you are suggesting that I copy the posts from Froggy Forum and post them on my site?
    I have thought about that, but came to the conclusion that not everybody posting at Froggy Forum would appreciate being published on my site. And I can't ask every poster for permission...

And DO I know that there are a lot of old Renault "heads" to solve problems on Froggy Forum. Why do you think I joined it...

Quote Originally Posted by r16_magnus
    If I understand you correctly, you are suggesting that I copy the posts from Froggy Forum and post them on my site?
    I have thought about that, but came to the conclusion that not everybody posting at Froggy Forum would appreciate being published on my site. And I can't ask every poster for permission...
    I applaud your consideration, I've seen tips from Simon and myself nicked from the Australian 15/17 Register page and pasted into various other 15/17 websites around the world!

Personally I'm not too fussed as I hope it helped someone out somewhere. Would have been nice if they'd credited us in the process, but somehow they must have "forgotten" to highlight that particular bit of text ;-)
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Dont get me wrong, should ALWAYS give credit where credit is due.

Ill retreat, but my thinking is that the whole purpose of AF's is to 'share the knowledge'

That said, new forums have a tendancy to snowball once a number of members are reached. I run a microbee forum which has grown exponetially over the last few years, so I am guessing your R16 forum will grow much faster.

David.