RS Megane 225 CUP review
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default RS Megane 225 CUP review

Drive review.

Some contradictions with the tv show on the stiffer suspension soaking up bumps and harsher road conditions.

I can't get over the main article claiming a full size spare, the brief specs stating a space saver when I found the actual car with 2 cans of foam last week!

Advertisement

Also, there's no way the Impreza is worth 4 stars nor the GTI 4.5 stars.
    Impreza has a crappy interior with the only thing going for it the AWD and turbo engine. At best it is also a 3.5 stars. Not sure I'd rate the GTI that highly other. It's a great car but i'm not sure it's "dream wheels". Only the Maybach Exelero can lay that claim!

Icon10

Quote Originally Posted by blue2th
    Drive review.

Some contradictions with the tv show on the stiffer suspension soaking up bumps and harsher road conditions.

I can't get over the main article claiming a full size spare, the brief specs stating a space saver when I found the actual car with 2 cans of foam last week!

Also, there's no way the Impreza is worth 4 stars nor the GTI 4.5 stars.
    Impreza has a crappy interior with the only thing going for it the AWD and turbo engine. At best it is also a 3.5 stars. Not sure I'd rate the GTI that highly other. It's a great car but i'm not sure it's "dream wheels". Only the Maybach Exelero can lay that claim!
    That review was so badly proofed that it mentioned the full size spare but also on the quicklist thing, it said it had a spacesaver wheel ???
    78 Fiat X1/9, Peugeot 406 ST, Peugeot 407 V6 SW

Previous:

05 Megane Turbo
    2x 89 405 Mi16
    67 404

Peugeot, Francais pour "Putain qu'c'est vite"[/FONT]

Fellow Frogger!

Dave,

how's the sound system upgrade btw? I got a response from the UK panel of experts, they expect a solution on the "update list" head units by end of this year/early next year.

i'm still tempted to just hook up a changer, amp, speaker and subwoofer first.

what's your experience?

Icon10

Dave,

how's the sound system upgrade btw? I got a response from the UK panel of experts, they expect a solution on the "update list" head units by end of this year/early next year.

i'm still tempted to just hook up a changer, amp, speaker and subwoofer first.

what's your experience?
    Mate, I cannot believe how much of an improvement it made. Chalk and cheese. I think Renault wont make a system that would be this good anyway. I'd always go a separate amp rather tan upping the amp's power in the head unit. The Alpine splits in the front make a massive difference to the clarity too. You have to do these mods!!!

cheers
    Dave

Previous:

05 Megane Turbo
    2x 89 405 Mi16
    67 404

I'm thinking about upgrading to a set of these:

"Pioneer TS-Q131C - £62.99 Including VAT - Car Audio Separate 2-Way Speaker System - Pioneer introduces a new concept speaker series which is focussed on high-quality sound and quick and easy installation. Tuned exclusively for Renault, the TS-Q131C is a slim 13 cm, 2-way speaker system with a separate component woofer and tweeter. Designed to replace the pre-installed speakers found in Renault automobiles, the TS-Q131C reproduces accurate, vivid sound thanks to the KEVLAR® brand fibre woofer cone. The soft-dome tweeter guarantees smooth natural overtones. The woofer’s frontmounted magnetic circuit and two-screw attachment system allows for easy installation in the car’s speaker provision. To guarantee quick and easy installation, a highly comprehensible installation guide is included in the package. * General TS-Q131C *Short description Separate 2-Way Speaker System * Features TS-Q131C *Frequency response 40 - 28.000 Hz * Sensitivity (1W/1m) 90 dB * Max Power 180 Watt * Nominal input power 35 Watt * Woofer size (cm) 13 cm * Woofer material KEVLAR® brand composite cone woofer with butyl rubber edge * Tweeter size (mm) 25,0 mm * Tweeter material Soft dome tweeter with Neodymium Magnet"

From what I've read its a direct screw in replacement for the existing speakers, even the speaker connectors fit straight on - no rewiring necessary. Plus hopefully avoids the many water instrusion issues that people seem to be experiencing when fitting deeper speakers into the cavity.

Pioneer don't list them on the Australian website though - anyone know if you can "special order" them?

Otherwise might have to order via UK
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RS Megane 225 CUP review-pioneer-ts-q131c.jpg  
    Last edited by Europa; 18th November 2005 at 04:30 PM.
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Icon10

Quote Originally Posted by Europa
    I'm thinking about upgrading to a set of these:

"Pioneer TS-Q131C - £62.99 Including VAT - Car Audio Separate 2-Way Speaker System - Pioneer introduces a new concept speaker series which is focussed on high-quality sound and quick and easy installation. Tuned exclusively for Renault, the TS-Q131C is a slim 13 cm, 2-way speaker system with a separate component woofer and tweeter. Designed to replace the pre-installed speakers found in Renault automobiles, the TS-Q131C reproduces accurate, vivid sound thanks to the KEVLAR® brand fibre woofer cone. The soft-dome tweeter guarantees smooth natural overtones. The woofer’s frontmounted magnetic circuit and two-screw attachment system allows for easy installation in the car’s speaker provision. To guarantee quick and easy installation, a highly comprehensible installation guide is included in the package. * General TS-Q131C *Short description Separate 2-Way Speaker System * Features TS-Q131C *Frequency response 40 - 28.000 Hz * Sensitivity (1W/1m) 90 dB * Max Power 180 Watt * Nominal input power 35 Watt * Woofer size (cm) 13 cm * Woofer material KEVLAR® brand composite cone woofer with butyl rubber edge * Tweeter size (mm) 25,0 mm * Tweeter material Soft dome tweeter with Neodymium Magnet"

From what I've read its a direct screw in replacement for the existing speakers, even the speaker connectors fit straight on - no rewiring necessary. Plus hopefully avoids the many water instrusion issues that people seem to be experiencing when fitting deeper speakers into the cavity.

Pioneer don't list them on the Australian website though - anyone know if you can "special order" them?

Otherwise might have to order via UK
    Those look great, I was thinking of getting them but I couldn't be stuffed ordering them from the UK. I'm sure you could do it though.

Previous:

05 Megane Turbo
    2x 89 405 Mi16
    67 404

Fellow Frogger!

so Dave would the guy who did the install for you be prepared to help out a few others? what amp did u install? was it a nice tidy job? did u retain the headunit then? if not, did u retain display and stalk controls?

i'm keen to have the amp and front speakers done pre-xmas if possible if not might wait for the new year.

as for Renault, the solution they are offering is to have more aftermarket headunits compatible with the wiring to the car.

europa, the closest (well actually better performing) thing to the pioneer speakers is the Focal [made in France ] Polyglass 130 V Slim at $469 (component speaker). i had focal utopia in my RSC and it sounds awesome.

i think by the time u pay the money to get the pioneers here, u might as well get these.

Icon10

so Dave would the guy who did the install for you be prepared to help out a few others? what amp did u install? was it a nice tidy job? did u retain the headunit then? if not, did u retain display and stalk controls?

i'm keen to have the amp and front speakers done pre-xmas if possible if not might wait for the new year.

as for Renault, the solution they are offering is to have more aftermarket headunits compatible with the wiring to the car.

europa, the closest (well actually better performing) thing to the pioneer speakers is the Focal [made in France ] Polyglass 130 V Slim at $469 (component speaker). i had focal utopia in my RSC and it sounds awesome.

i think by the time u pay the money to get the pioneers here, u might as well get these.
    Yeah he'd be more than happy no doubt. His name is Gary and you can call him on 03 94598522

I think the amp is the Alpine MRPF240. The sub was my old boss (crap) and I got some 5.25" Apline Splits, not sure of the model numbers though.

Let me know how you go.
    Cheers
    Dave

Previous:

05 Megane Turbo
    2x 89 405 Mi16
    67 404

The Focals do sound pretty awesome, but I must say I do like the idea of the Pioneers as they fit straight in using existing mounting points and connectors (no chopping of wires etc.) and should work OK with the existing head unit (which I'd like to keep), plus no frigging around with water shields and sealing which I understand can get a bit messy WRT water intrusion.

For fun, I've fired off an email to Pioneer Australia to find out whether they can be ordered locally.
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Fellow Frogger!

thanks dave, i'll call Gary and have a chat.

sounds good, let me know how u go with Pioneer Aus.

btw, the focals also fit in, they are 5in deep like the pioneer and will not mess up the water seals. it should plug straight in according the guys in meganesport.net

thanks dave, i'll call Gary and have a chat.

sounds good, let me know how u go with Pioneer Aus.

btw, the focals also fit in, they are 5in deep like the pioneer and will not mess up the water seals. it should plug straight in according the guys in meganesport.net
    Hey I guess they'd know, I did find it interesting that the picture of the Pioneers showed two mounting points where the focals had 4 (in different positions) - might just have been a generic picture though. I sort of hoped at 62 UKP they would still land here cheaper than 469 AUD

I guess I just want a cheap & easy upgrade - sounds like a typical Renault owner! :-)

Fellow Frogger!

i didn't realise the pioneers were that cheap! i searched for some online and found them closer too GBP100. figured add P&P plus insurance etc, easier to haggle the $469 down

don't mind sharing the P&P with you if u do decide to get one at GBP62. will use it as a short term measure until i decide what bits to exactly pin in the car.

Fellow Frogger!

Hmm will see if I can see these Pioneers in the local car parts shop. They do stock Pioneer for sure.
    2013 Grand Kangoo
    2011 Megane 3 RS
    2001 Clio Sport 172 (23/85)
    1997 Spider (No. 652)
    1988 5 GT Turbo Phase II
    1968 10

Thread Information