R25 Rear Brakes
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: R25 Rear Brakes

Default R25 Rear Brakes

Does anyone have a clue about the stupid bl***y hold down springs on the bendix drum brakes on the R25? These are the equivalent of the "staedy post" on girling brakes. How do you pull em to bits, & more to the point how on earth do you get them back together? In all my experience (and I've seen some doozys, this one takes the cake, or am I missing something?
    Cheers
    Mike

Advertisement
    Armageddon was yesterday
    Today we have a problem

2000 406 Hdi X 3
    2003 307 Hdi

Easy peasy Hold your finger on the pin from the back of the backplate to steady the pin, and use pliers to grip the sides of the little disc that holds the spring down. Push the little disc in and turn 90 degrees and off it will pop.

You will notice the post has a flat end that goes into a slot on the disc - it pokes through and when turned 90 degrees will hold the disc onto the end of the post.

To refit, simply locate post and hold from the back. Position spring over post and push the disc on until the post sticks out a bit and turn it 90 degrees.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

No Hakon me old mate, you're talking about Girling brakes, these are Bendix. The spring is a little cone shaped POS, the wide part of the spring grips the brake shoe, with a hook on the back end of it that hooks into a hole in the thingy that sticks thru the backplate if that makes any sense at all. The Girling type I know about, this is MUCH different. The Haynes manual says to stick a screwdriver in the centre of the spring and turn, but I'm damned if I can make it work
    Cheers
    Mike
    Armageddon was yesterday
    Today we have a problem

2000 406 Hdi X 3
    2003 307 Hdi

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Ren25
    No Hakon me old mate, you're talking about Girling brakes, these are Bendix. The spring is a little cone shaped POS, the wide part of the spring grips the brake shoe, with a hook on the back end of it that hooks into a hole in the thingy that sticks thru the backplate if that makes any sense at all. The Girling type I know about, this is MUCH different. The Haynes manual says to stick a screwdriver in the centre of the spring and turn, but I'm damned if I can make it work
    Cheers
    Mike
    Mike,
    I've just done the girling rear brakes on my Virage s/w. They are essentially the same as the 25's. I use a modified screwdriver. Cut a small notch in the end of the blade wide enough so that the bit of the spring forming the little hook fits into it. Make sure that you grind the blade of the screwdriver so that it is narrow enough to fit down into the conical spring. Insert the screwdriver into the spring and push and twist it so that it frees the spring from the rear clip. Replacement is a reverse of this procedure as they say in the Haynes manual . Before replacing the spring, make sure the bit near the hook is in the notch of the screwdriver. You can do it without the notch in the screwdriver, but its more fiddly (and frustrating).

Hope this helps,
    Renpete

Hi Pete
    So this notch, it's just a straight groove, like you would cut with a hacksaw into the end of the screwdriver, right? Gee it would help if we could draw things on this forum.
    Cheers
    Mike
    Armageddon was yesterday
    Today we have a problem

2000 406 Hdi X 3
    2003 307 Hdi

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Pete
    So this notch, it's just a straight groove, like you would cut with a hacksaw into the end of the screwdriver, right? Gee it would help if we could draw things on this forum.
    Cheers
    Mike
    Yes Mike, just a groove. I did the rear brakes on Sunday, and got pi..ed off with the screwdriver blade slipping down the inside of the spring and past the hook. So for the second side, I got a crappy old screwdriver, stuck it in the vice and cut a notch in the middle of the top of the blade with a hacksaw - then widened the notch with a thin flat file so the spring wire would fit into it. Then ground the blade sides so it was narrow enough to go down inside the upper part of the stupid conical spring. It's still a bit fiddly, but a lot quicker than farting about with a normal screwdriver. I position the rear clip so that I have a rough idea of the orientation of the hole in it and insert the spring accordingly - then push to stretch the spring a bit, twist and hope it hooks in. I hold the clip while doing this to stop it moving too much.

Relax and have an Emu or two and it'll work just fine.

Pete

Thanks Pete
    I'll give it a shot when I get the shoes back from rebonding, at least I now know it CAN be done, had my doubts for a while there.
    Cheers
    Mike
    Armageddon was yesterday
    Today we have a problem

2000 406 Hdi X 3
    2003 307 Hdi

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Pete
    I'll give it a shot when I get the shoes back from rebonding, at least I now know it CAN be done, had my doubts for a while there.
    Cheers
    Mike
    Mike,
    If you haven't done so already, it's probably worthwhile getting a new spring kit if you've done the shoes. I found the springs on the Virage had stretched/distorted. The kit comes with all the springs etc you need, and some you don't It includes the little clips and dreaded conical springs which often seem to become distorted.
    Regards
    Pete

Thanks Pete
    I'll give it a shot when I get the shoes back from rebonding,
    Youre game - I dont ever muck with rebonded shoes. I have had two sets over the years come apart, and once when I was a kid Dad lost the brakes in the trusty old R4 when the rebonded shoes fell apart in the Adelaide hills - very scary!!. Considering Ken at Carrevelle sells brand new ones at about the same price as rebonded jobs, its a no brainer for me!!

As for the R25 - thats news to me that any sort except Girling was fitted. I should have clicked when you said Bendix, but I thought they all were the same. Learn something new every day
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Pete
    Cheers
    Mike
    Oops,
    Mike in my earlier post I said Girling brakes on my Virage. I meant Bendix. The penalty of posting from work. Sorry for any confusion.
    Renpete

Thanks guys for all the very worthwhile info. You've got me worried now about the bonded shoes so I think I'll double up and get a set from Caravelle as well cause this one's for my young bloke (If I don't sell him in to white slavery before I get the car fixed) I can't expect him to be able to handle a situation of no brakes. I take it I get the spring kit from Ken as well yes? And what happens to the adjuster thingy with the teeth which seems to be permanantly attached to one shoe?
    Cheers
    Mike
    Armageddon was yesterday
    Today we have a problem

2000 406 Hdi X 3
    2003 307 Hdi

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks guys for all the very worthwhile info. You've got me worried now about the bonded shoes so I think I'll double up and get a set from Caravelle as well cause this one's for my young bloke (If I don't sell him in to white slavery before I get the car fixed) I can't expect him to be able to handle a situation of no brakes. I take it I get the spring kit from Ken as well yes? And what happens to the adjuster thingy with the teeth which seems to be permanantly attached to one shoe?
    Cheers
    Mike
    Hi Mike,
    The large lever with the teeth at the bottom is secured to its pivot pin by a spring clip at the back of the shoe (side facing the backing plate). Prise it off and transfer the pin and lever to the new shoe & secure with a new clip. The small toothed adjuster is removed by removing the segmented washer-like device that secures it and its spring. This segmented washer is designed to go on easily, but removal invariably wrecks it, so a replacement is needed. Transfer the small adjuster to the new shoe, then put its spring on and finally the new segmented washer. The new brake shoe should have the pivot pin for this adjuster - its part of the shoe. The thin springs for the adjuster are not interchangeable - they're right & left. And yes, Ken at Caravelle has the spring kits which include the clips for the large lever, the securing washers for the small adjusters and new springs for the adjusters.

On one shoe from my Virage, some idiot had obviously not got a spring kit when replacing the shoes and had welded a flat washer to the pivot pin to secure the small adjuster & its spring. Hell of a mess. Lucky I had new shoes from Ken - as Haakon says they're about the same cost as getting the old ones relined.

Pete

Thread Information