I wish Renault Australia would made diesel models available for sale.
  • Register
  • Help

Default I wish Renault Australia would made diesel models available for sale.

I am considering buying a new Renault Scenic next year. I wish the models available in the U.K. were also available here. I would choose the 1.9 diesel engine with six speed manual gearbox.

Has anyone knowledge of plans to make diesel models available here?

It is my view Renault would do better in Australian if they concentrated on bringing vehicles into Australia which offer something different to that sold by the large dealerships in Australia. Of course in a way they are already doing this but they could take it further. Could you imagine the sales interest for the Clio with the centrally mounted V6 motor?

Advertisement

Me too. Now that the quality of australia diesel l has been increased I hope they will consider it. Of course they already have diesels available in their commerial range. I read a articlel the other day about a new family of diesel engines devoloped by Renault. See [URL="http://www.renault.com/datamedia/doc/mediarenaultcom/en/10257_CP_Ateliers_04-10-2005_GB.pdf"]
    This was posted by Danielsydney a few months ago on this forum
    Family and myself still loving the Scenic 2 after 6 months and one small trip away with it. This is the second Scenic I have had and would consider a trade on a diesel if availabe in Australia. Love to see a few more models of Renault cars as well.
    Last edited by c-nick; 14th November 2005 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Trying to make link work

Quote Originally Posted by c-nick
    Love to see a few more models of Renault cars as well.
    We're not doing too bad, especially for a niche brand in Australia - basically we are missing:

Twingo (LHD only)
    Modus (Rumoured to come, but no confirmation)
    Clio V6 (Production ceased, no replacement)
    Grand Scenic (Website indicates will be on sale here)
    Vel Satis (Don't reckon it'd find many buyers)
    Espace (Rumoured to come, no confirmation)
    Kangoo (Available in van form only)

So out of the total of 11 models (inc. commercials), Australia gets 7 of them.

I agree, a diesel option would appeal on at least part of the passenger range.
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

I wish the import laws were different, I'd love to Import a Scenic 1 RX4 turbo diesel.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Quote Originally Posted by Europa
    We're not doing too bad, especially for a niche brand in Australia - basically we are missing:

Twingo (LHD only)

Just out interest what does NZ get? Anyone have any knowledge?

Thanks Europa NZ list is as follows:

Clio
    Mégane Renaultsport 225
    Clio Renaultsport 182
    Scénic
    Mégane Coupé-CabrioletGrand Scénic Mégane Hatchback
    Laguna HatchMégane Sport Hatch EspaceMégane Sedan

Where are the commercials?
    Last edited by BogMaster; 14th November 2005 at 07:58 PM.
    Woo Hoo Honi ko'u 'elemu (Hawaiian)

Quote Originally Posted by BogMaster
    Just out interest what does NZ get? Anyone have any knowledge?

Check it all out here
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

1000+ Posts

Yeah i had about 3-4 people come & ask me at the motorshow about diesels!

I think diesles need to get a bit more mainstream to become feasible, as it would be low numbers & the extra costs wouldn't be justifiable i'd say. But once "little diesels" become popular, i think Renault will jump on the back of it & get results.

Love the BMW X5 ad... "Very frugal"... umm why not just buy a normal family car that isnt a ....... gas guzzler!!! ARGH!

Twingo (LHD only)

I understand the Australian market is limited. I guess I would love to see Renault with the presents here I think it deserves. Compare this the Australian range

Passenger
    Clio
    RS Clio 182
    Mégane Hatch
    RS Mégane Turbo 225
    Mégane Sedan
    Mégane Cabriolet
    Mégane Coupé-Cabriolet
    Laguna Saloon
    Laguna Estate
    ScenicII
    Commercial
    Trafic
    Master
    Kangoo

with the French

Passenger Cars
    Clio
    Clio V6
    Clio Saloon
    Clio Renault Sport
    Modus
    Twingo
    Mégane Hatch
    Mégane Sport Hatch
    Mégane Coupé-Cabriolet
    Mégane Sport Saloon
    Mégane Sport Tourer
    Mégane Renault Sport
    Scénic
    Grand Scénic
    Laguna
    Laguna Sport Tourer
    Vel Satis
    Espace
    Grand Espace
    Kangoo
    Kangoo 4X4
    Trafic Generation

Light commercial vehicle

Kangoo Express
    Trafic
    Master
    Master RWD

25 vs 13

and then there is the Logan which I would think would give the Koreans a run for there money.

Still we are doing better than the Americians (and you don,t get to say that very often). It is probably unrealistic to compare Australia to France. If Renault were the biggist selling car make here I am sure things would be different. Still it was just wishing for other models and further engine options.
    would still consider a turbo diesel Scenic if one was available.

Fellow Frogger!

Add to the the variants. At release, the Mégane II had 64 off the shelf variants to choose from in Europe. The price lists in magazines for Renaults in 4 or 5 column 6 ot 7 point font will run to well over a page.
    2013 Grand Kangoo
    2011 Megane 3 RS
    2001 Clio Sport 172 (23/85)
    1997 Spider (No. 652)
    1988 5 GT Turbo Phase II
    1968 10

I am a avid Renault fan but having driven customers Turbo Pug diesels it would take some beating to knock off Peugeot in the Diesel stakes. Bloody fantastic diesels.

1000+ Posts

I think we get a very decent range really. Given the size of our market, we are pretty lucky.

The thing we have to remember with Renault is they are running with tiny volumes at the moment. You see the Clio sports getting rave reviews everywhere, yet last month, a total of only 37 Clio's (sports and otherwise) were shifted. That is not sustainable, especially in a market gagging for small cars.

Without commercial vehicles, Renault would be looking a bit dire.

Given VW's approach though, I'd say it must be likely in the future to see the addition of deisel models.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Sergetov
    I think we get a very decent range really. Given the size of our market, we are pretty lucky.

The thing we have to remember with Renault is they are running with tiny volumes at the moment. You see the Clio sports getting rave reviews everywhere, yet last month, a total of only 37 Clio's (sports and otherwise) were shifted. That is not sustainable, especially in a market gagging for small cars.

Without commercial vehicles, Renault would be looking a bit dire.

Given VW's approach though, I'd say it must be likely in the future to see the addition of deisel models.
    Let it drop, now, before it gets out of hand, yet again. We dont need another sustainability argument, unless you have suddenly taken on the top job at VDA or in charge of export markets in Renault France.
    2013 Grand Kangoo
    2011 Megane 3 RS
    1997 Spider (No. 652)
    1988 5 GT Turbo Phase II
    1968 10

1000+ Posts

Settle down Craig.

I'm just saying, we can't expect a full range as its a small market. We have a pretty decent range IMHO, all things considered.

I just doubt a Clio V6 would help much, but thats just my 2 cents.

I think we have a good chance of deisels in the future though, as competitors appear to be leaning towards them a bit, and its an asset Renault has access to overseas.

Whilst talking about what models we should/should'nt expect here, one must consider what Renault would ask themselves. They do exist to make profits at the end of the day. I do not see whats so controversial about that?

I have never said I thought Renault would or should leave. Ever.

Fellow Frogger!

You may not, others will.

However, the Clio v6 is dead, to be replaced by a future non Clio model.

Anyway, maybe the diesel Renault could be delivered on a ship using this
    http://www.autocadre.com/?cat=39&id_article=62
    2013 Grand Kangoo
    2011 Megane 3 RS
    1997 Spider (No. 652)
    1988 5 GT Turbo Phase II
    1968 10

Quote Originally Posted by Craig
    Add to the the variants. At release, the Mégane II had 64 off the shelf variants to choose from in Europe. The price lists in magazines for Renaults in 4 or 5 column 6 ot 7 point font will run to well over a page.
    Yeh, spot on Craig - I tried to keep my list down to "basic" model types to avoid that problem, plus avoided stuff like the Clio Saloon (not available in Western Europe, if you believe http://www.renault.com anyway)

So we get representations of a fair chunk of the range, if not precisely every model. Compare this to model ranges available in the past, and I think you'd find that we have more of a choice than ever before (Simon may be able to verify this)

(Simon may be able to verify this)
    Confirmed, but in the 1950's AUS also got basically the full Renault home market range. Say in 1957 AUS had the 750, Prairie, Dauphine and Fregate, the full French passenger car range, a similar arrangement in the early 1960's, until 1966 when the local assembly rules changed and Renault Australia purchased the Continental and General concern and commenced local production, when the model range diminished. In the mid 1970's it was basically the 12 and 16, with nearly the full range of 15's and 17's (excepting the cheapo 15TL). This also ignores the full model range, I've got that somewhere, but it is late and too late to type in full details. Suffice to say that in 1976 there were 20 variants of Renault 12's available at one point in time from West Heidelberg, stock control with such small production must have been fun :-).

Then as people became more sophisticated in the 1980's and demanded things like integrated A/C and power steering in cars, the factory in France lost interest in the RHD, hot climate, small car market, so we missed on things like the Superfive, Clio I and other interesting oddities. The Fuego and 25GTX 4 cylinder being left to fly the flag, with things like the 19 16V missing out because it wasn't engineered for 91 octane unleaded.

There were around 750 Laguna 1's sold in AUS.

Quote Originally Posted by kiamaian
    Could you imagine the sales interest for the Clio with the centrally mounted V6 motor?
    Yes, minimal. This would have been a $70K odd price tag vehicle, even the Mitsu Evo at the time struggled with that price tag.

A shame you were not at the Renault Melbourne Motorshow launch in 2001. Leon Daphne said they would be interested to speak to anyone seriously interested in buying a Clio V6. Obviously the response was underwhelming......

Thread Information