More fuego shock ramblings
  • Register
  • Help

Default More fuego shock ramblings

There has been some interest regarding fuego shocks lately so the following might be of interest to some.I have had a set of Konis for years,sitting in the shed waiting to be rebuilt.In the mean time, A set of aftermarket ones (from caravelle,I'm pretty sure)were put on the car, and it drove like a magna wagon, being bouncy and quite scary when braking hard through rough stuff.The front shocks bent at the lower thread mount, and were binned.
    This year i decided to get the konis rebuilt as I could see one of my OE struts leaking oil.After spending more than anticipated on geting the konis rebuilt I put them on the car and ,no,kidding,My mums Kia Rio handled better,had less body roll,and was more fun.It was very comfortable, though.The konis were behaving just like the replacement struts I'd use earlier and I could not tell the difference between soft setting and hard.There was definatly something wrong,and I've been over every inch of the car trying to sus it out.The mind bend was that the konis were great on a previous car,(pre re-build) that had 19kg wheels,and I'm now usind 14KG wheels,and when yesterday I changed from yoko C-drives195/55 to donlop901,205/50, the improvement was huge, but the floppy symptoms were still there.
    I then had a chat to proven products, who were very helpful,I firstly made sure that my konis were actualy the ones recomended for the fuego, and like most catalougs,one size fits all. I then learned that Koni's can be re-valved stiffer,and i think I shall give that a go.Just to confirm that the problem is the shocks,I put my old oily OE shocks in yesterday,and I love my car again.Its amazing how well that setup works in spite of the fact that one shock has half its oil.My advice to anyone wanting to change shocks,is be prepared for a performance drop!!
    Jo

Advertisement

Icon14

Jo,
    I noticed the drop in front end handling when I replaced the shocks in my original car, they were definately softer and not as much fun. The car I'm driveing now is still on it's factory shocks & it's a delight...however...

I had the priveledge of driving mistarenno's fuego yesterday, and all I can say is WOW! I have never felt a fuego so tight & solid in the front end...it took it to a higher plane! The confidence that the front end on his car inspired was incredible, & the enjoyment factor went off the scale!

I now understand why he loses everyone on the twisties on drive days...his fuego is truly a go-Kart!

so Richard..over to you..share the knowledge
    Aus
    Aus
    ".....the good health of a pond is held in a delicate balance. A pond's condition
    deteriorates when the bottom environment cannot support animal life.
    The bottom is the area that runs out of oxygen first, it is where the most oxygen is used........"

'84 fuego GTX
    '87 fuego GTX
    '85 fuego GTX
    ....beginning to look a bit frightning isn't it.

What struts are you using,mr reno?

Thread Information