Scenic Engine miss
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Icon5 Scenic Engine miss

Our 2004 2L Scenic manual has an annoying miss when engine is hot at idle, very noticeable in hot weather pulled up at traffic lights. Dealer says this is not a problem as " Renaults are tuned for performance and lean burn". Don't believe this as 3 other Scenic owners have told us they do not have this problem, though they have earlier models. Any know if this is a known problem? Understand from dealer that Clio's have a known spark coil problem, does this apply to Scenics? They say no.
    Jim

Advertisement
    Last edited by FrogEss; 2nd December 2005 at 06:00 PM.

Hello Frogess.
    Welcome to aussiefrogs. Stick arond and we may-be of some help?

Recent thread refering to this problem can be found Scenic - hard starting

post #16 has a link to a technical article. This one ended up being top dead centre sensor.

Cheers and enjoy the Scenic.

We have a 2001 Scenic RX4, 100,000km and still going strong. Due for 100k service too, no misses or anything yet. (Touches wood desk hard)
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

1000+ Posts

Don't ya just love some of the shite that comes out of dealers' mouths

Fellow Frogger!

I will try restraing myself from the name/shame game as there are only two dealers and the letters NOR or SOR would be a dead giveaway.

The advice given is a total load of shite. I've heard some codswallop in my time but that’s a good one.

Ours doesn't ( sorry the missus' RX4 ) miss and nor should it - there IS definately something amiss ( sorry couldn't help myself there).

That also goes for the wifes workmates, 1 brand new Scenic & 1 new Magane ( they liked her's so much the bought Renaults too ) neither have this "lean burn miss"

You have two choices of dealer in WA use the other one, if you continue to be fed this tripe.

Yours aye

Sandgroper
    93' 205GTi
    'don't force it son - use a bigger hammer'

Fellow Frogger!

Could be that or a coil on its way out, though that seems to have been more a problem on the Scénic I. If its a coil and they hook it up and the computer says nothing wrong, its still possible. Depending on the use, it might die sooner or later. Mine took 2 weeks.
    2013 Grand Kangoo
    2011 Megane 3 RS
    2001 Clio Sport 172 (23/85)
    1997 Spider (No. 652)
    1988 5 GT Turbo Phase II
    1968 10

Tadpole

Thanks for your prompt replies!! One thing did not mention was this miss was not noticeable until about 5k km but is slowly getting worse. Car has now done around 11k km.
    Just an extra, picked up a whine in the gearbox on load in 4th between 60-70kph and overun 5th 75 back to 65kph. Just had notification that Renault are sending a NEW box out HURRAH. The comings and goings have stretched over a more than 12mths since first mentioned to origiinal dealership at 2000k's. We now have 2 outlets, same dealership.

Have looked at PDF file from link above but quotes engine series K4 K,M,P & R. Where can I find these as cannot locate on engine or license or dealer paperwork. K4 J&M has note from Renault saying they optimise for higher speeds and may be instability at idle
    Last edited by FrogEss; 13th November 2005 at 04:11 PM.

Frogess,
    I am not sure what engine you have in your Scenic, but mine the 2001 has the F4R as the prefix to the engine number stamped on the block. Located below the inlet manifold on what would is the side of the engine, facing you as you stand at the front of the car.
    In the owners manual it gives an explination of how to read the oavle plate and ID plates. In Scenic 1 is located at the rear of the drivers door closure below the catch.
    Hope all this helps,
    Cheers.
    Chris.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Tadpole

Found engine type in manual specs, it is an F4R. In PDF this type does not mention ANYTHING about instability so seems we are being led along.

Tadpole

Icon5

Have written to Renault Australia but have had no reply, miss is not getting any better.

Does anyone have any contacts or suggestions of who to contact or speak to? I can find no phone number for Renault Australia or listing in either White or Yellow pages.

The dealer has renewed the gearbox, arrived sooner than I expected!!!. Dealer also has not been contacted by Renault after my letter (sent about 3 weeks ago).
    Last edited by FrogEss; 2nd December 2005 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FrogEss
    Does anyone have any contacts or suggestions of who to contact or speak to? I can find no phone number for Renault Australia or listing in either White or Yellow pages.
    Renault Assist 1800009008
    You need to speak to Vicki Ryal

Make sure you follow up with emails
    01 Renaultsport Clio Cup 3/85 sold 07 Megane Expression 6 speed manual sedan ...beeeautiful sold 08 RenaultSport Clio 197...weehaaa sold
    05 RenaultSport Megane 225 wooshka" sold
    84 Fuego 5speed silver 1 previous elderly owner club car
    84 Renault 5TS 5 door white 3 owners 74 Renault 12 GL Avocado trophy winner
    73 Renault 16TS Automatic club car 64 Renault Caravelle gorgeous

Tadpole

Thanks for your info, have contacted Renault and they have agreed that Dealer should liase with thier technical section to sort out problem. Next thing was that Dealer had heard nothing until I contacted them, they are now supposedly getting info, that was about 2 weeks ago, how long do these these comunications take?? Perhaps we are still relying on sailing ships to Europe!!
    At least now it is hopefully in the system so future problems can not be ignored!!

Thread Information