Fuego values.....
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Default Fuego values.....

An interesting comparison considering what what has been mentioned in the recent past about Fuego’s being an appreciating classic. They are a decent enough car, but certainly not appreciating in value, especially in classic car mad UK.

1985 Renault Fuego GTS, 23,500 miles, Sold, £720 November 2005
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1985-RENAULT-F...QQcmdZViewItem

Advertisement

Compared with rather more mundane Renault’s:

1985 Renault R4 F6 (Van), 120,000 miles, Sold £1,490 July 2005
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=4563547237

1985 Renault R4 F6 (Van), 49,000 miles, Sold £1,575 August 2005
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...sPageName=WDVW

Even Mr Beans’ (note door locks in pic!) R4 van sold for a reasonable sum in comparion to the Fuego.
    1986 Renault R4 F6 (Van), 183,000 miles, Sold £460 October 2005.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=4578738023

Given the three vans sold recently, there is unlikely any premium paid for scarcity value.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fuego values.....-92_1_b.jpg   Fuego values.....-18_1_b.jpg  

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    considering what what has been mentioned in the recent past about Fuego’s being an appreciating classic. They are a decent enough car, but certainly not appreciating in value,
    simon good to see you back by the way.
    this illustrates the recent past's error clearly....you missinterpreted what was said. It was not claimed that they are currently appreciating..quite the opposite, it was remarked upon that they are at a bargain basement price!
    the only references to appreciation was in the future as good examples begin to become rare, numbers decrease & enthusiasm for the vehicle increases. Most are not going to hit classic category for at least 5 years...but by then, who knows, they may not be available at the prices they are now

and BTW AUD$2,500 for a GTS is nothing to sniff about considering what we are currently paying over here for good GTX's, so maybe that does illustrate that these cars value will rise

the point is & was that those of us who enjoy driving & running our fuegos are entitled to discuss them on a thread dedicated to them without villification over what was essentially an erroneous interpretation of what was said.

let it rest; & lets all get back to the purpose of this forum which is to enjoy our cars, no matter which model they are!
    & welcome back
    Aus
    Aus
    ".....the good health of a pond is held in a delicate balance. A pond's condition
    deteriorates when the bottom environment cannot support animal life.
    The bottom is the area that runs out of oxygen first, it is where the most oxygen is used........"

'84 fuego GTX
    '87 fuego GTX
    '85 fuego GTX
    ....beginning to look a bit frightning isn't it.

Default good news

horay!! Wake up today and see Simon is back and fuego's are still cheap!
    Jo

Quote Originally Posted by Australdi
    simon good to see you back by the way.
    this illustrates the recent past's error clearly....you missinterpreted what was said. It was not claimed that they are currently appreciating..quite the opposite, it was remarked upon that they are at a bargain basement price!
    ... but, this was written in the most poorly moderated thread of all time ...

Quote Originally Posted by westair
    First is values of Fuegos- they are worth what people will pay but internationally they are increasing in value. With reference to VWs which I also like and restore you can buy a Beetle or a Kombi for $200 or $20,000 -just depends on condition etc
    ?
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

I hope they stay cheap as chips for a while to come yet! I need to stockpile parts before the rush! Just picked up my first spares car for $99!!!! Bargain! Near new taillights, near new gas struts, top condition hatch, top mags and the Le Plip doova! Some other parts are salvagable with a bit of TLC.
    The rest of the car is pretty much crap!
    So viva the Fuego depression, well until I've got my beloved Fuego on the road, then the prices can skyrocket!
    Cheers Renomad

"Today's mighty oak, is just yesterdays nut that held it's ground"

Current frogs, Dad's R19 & Dad's Scenic.

Past frogs, R12 Wagon X2, R12GL, Fuego X2, R10 X2, R8 X.5!

Icon12

Quote Originally Posted by Europa
    ... but, this was written in the most poorly moderated thread of all time ...
    ?
    Europa..westair's comments about international prices for fuegos was in reference to Argentina, where some have been listed for $7000+ US
    so it was a thourghly valid comment!

Aus
    Aus
    ".....the good health of a pond is held in a delicate balance. A pond's condition
    The bottom is the area that runs out of oxygen first, it is where the most oxygen is used........"

'84 fuego GTX
    '87 fuego GTX
    '85 fuego GTX

I wonder if the $7000 argentinian is related to the $7000 Northern Teretory guy.I only give credence to the sell price, not list price.
    jo

Fellow Frogger!

Hmm.. speaking Fuegos, anyone own NSW ADC-12A? My old white 85 GTX. Dunno what happened to it, sold it about 4 years ago.
    2013 Grand Kangoo
    2011 Megane 3 RS
    2001 Clio Sport 172 (23/85)
    1997 Spider (No. 652)
    1988 5 GT Turbo Phase II
    1968 10

Europa..westair's comments about international prices for fuegos was in reference to Argentina, where some have been listed for $7000+ US
    so it was a thourghly valid comment!

Aus
    So would you recommend stockpiling Fuegos as an investment strategy?
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

1000+ Posts

Icon7 Mothballing a Fuego

Europa - I did consider "mothballing" (storing) Di's current Fuego, I had bought a 1986 P/S Fuego with approx 41,000 km's on it - my original car a one owner - garaged all its life non power steering Fuego. It had been kept in perfect mechanical condition, regularly serviced for the previous owner who had been employed by Renault, and purchased it new and from the West Heidelberg Factory he aquired a full set of mechanical spare parts. Some were put on the car, some passed to the original owner of Auto Paris, and what was left came to me.

The bodywork of the car is absolutely rust free, very straight, interior carpets and upholstery perfect, Leather gear knob had been refurbished and I fitted a brand new leather steering wheel. The car was in such good condition that I considered taking it off the road, holding the original plates and keeping it as a backup to my new car "just in case".

As far as I am concerned this car was an excellent candidate to increase in value if correctly stored and kept as an original example - its original cost was minimal, everything mechanical was in excellent order, nothing to spend, it had excellent TRX tyres - the bonnet had been changed to the turbo style, but this could easily have been bought back to original via spares that I had for little or no money and the storage would not cost a zack!

I still have my eye on a 61,000km 1986 Fuego one owner, power steering car with the same idea in mind if it comes available at a reasonable price.

As it was, I decided to pass my spare car to Di, as a non p/s suits her and performs magnificently on combined drive days with that wonderful clio group we have in Melbourne.

These are good examples, and that is what I recommend potential buyers aquire, even if you have to ultimately pay more for them, you will save lots of money in the long run - The Fuego is a great car to drive and enjoy and now you get a lot of spirited motoring for a small outlay - bang for bucks!

Whatever car I have ever owned I have always made it a practice to aquire back up spares to almost every mechanical or wearing part and duplicate the most expensive trim while you can get it - that way you are never in the invidious position of being held to ransom when a part wears or breaks and if push comes to shove you can use these spares as the basis of another
    restoration rebuild.

This weekend the Fuego easily towed a full trailer of all sorts of motor car parts to Bendigo Swap Meet. Parked on my site -the whole weekend there was a stream of people coming up and looking at the car and approving comments, not only from former owners but the average person interested in motorcars.

I was also happy to encourage other Fuego owners who stopped to chat to visit Aussie Frogs or join the RCCV.

What is my car worth - whatever someone wants to pay for it - no stars in these eyes, but it is not for sale while I am enjoying driving it! Oh and nice to meet our Queensland Renault-philes! Glad I could help

Will it increase in value or become a collector/classic - God Knows! and I don't care.

If anyone tries to talk these cars down will I defend it's virtues?, of course I will

It's a pointless exercise anyway, the Fuego is what it is, an enjoyable motor car and far easier for owners to work on nowadays due to, the enthusiasm and information available on this forum - and thanks guys for the personal good comments over the weekend - the car and owner appreciated the interest!
    Last edited by Kenfuego; 14th November 2005 at 01:40 AM.

Icon10

ahhh..no! I would recommend a feugo to someone if they enjoy driving & don't want to spend alot of money. They are a bundle of fun to drive!

If you want a speculative investment....I would reccomend buying a thouroughbred racehorse!

Aus

P.s. I would train it for cheap fees!
    Aus

'84 fuego GTX
    '87 fuego GTX
    '85 fuego GTX

Well, youd better hurry up guys, I intend to win the lotto on thursday and systematically buy up all the fuegos on the planet. Thus becoming king of the fuegos Muwahhahahahahahahaa!!!!!!!
    Then in 1000 years time I will sell them for millions each to car collectors, oil sheiks, etc.

I am a fuego fan, but kenfuego get real, they are a half arsed attempt at a sports car. They will never be worth anything, well not in my life time. (and Im 23 lol).

PS Shut the hell up about your fuegos we dont care, every oppportunity you seem to bring them up, if you like em great, but it is getting to the point of you preaching some weird fuego cult.
    para un auto de rapido fuego

Icon8

Quote Originally Posted by GunnaWanna
    PS Shut the hell up about your fuegos we dont care, every oppportunity you seem to bring them up, if you like em great, but it is getting to the point of you preaching some weird fuego cult.
    Gunnawanna..that's a bit rich! seeing as this is a fuego thread & the fuego's are only discussed on fuego threads...where do you get off telling someone to stop talking about them on a thread that is about them????
    If you're sick of hearing about fuegos..it's simple...don't read the fuego threads!

perhaps the reason that some of us are enthusiastic about our fuegos, and don't agree with your comments about them being "a half-arsed attempt at a sports car" (which they weren't, they were a coupe/hatch) Is because we actually know how to drive them & keep them well maintained.

I don't know how many times it has to be repeated until it sinks in...but we're not saying that these cars are going to be worth millions! All we are saying is that they are bloody cheap now! & if you know how to drive one & can maintain it yourself you have one of the best bang for your bucks cars!

& this being a fuego thread...we can chat about fuegos to our hearts content!!!

Aus
    Last edited by Australdi; 15th November 2005 at 03:18 PM.
    Aus

'84 fuego GTX
    '87 fuego GTX
    '85 fuego GTX

Only been away a few days cruising through the beautiful South west of WA and the attraction of Fuegos continue.

Must have some deep psychological effect on the population -love them or hate them.
    1986 Renault Fuego GTX
    1972 Mercedes Benz 280E
    1988 Nissan Trakka Campervan
    1972 VW Kombi

In business, words are words; explanations are explanations, promises are promises, but only performance is reality.
    Harold Ganeen.

I love this topic...I was away for a while and I can see a lot of Fuego activity happening here !

Well, if you go to Spain, Switzerland, the Netherlands and Germany...you will be amazed to see how the Fuego has become a Cult car...now there has to be a reason for this !

From reading this thread and from some emails that I get through my Fuego website I can see that this is happening slowly in Australia.

Like most cars that are attractive they become cheap as they get old then the prices start to go up as they become rare collectables.

Cheers,
    Zareh

If you're sick of hearing about fuegos..it's simple...don't read the fuego threads!

yes your right, it is a fuego thread, started for no reason other than to bait you and ken on another rant.

(nice one simon )
    para un auto de rapido fuego

yes your right, it is a fuego thread, started for no reason other than to bait you and ken on another rant.

(nice one simon )
    Whatever...now if we could all just lighten up a bit....
    Jo

Icon14

(nice one simon )
    hehehe..and we love it!
    (nice one simon )
    Aus

'84 fuego GTX
    '87 fuego GTX
    '85 fuego GTX

hehehe..and we love it!
    (nice one simon )
    Oh yeah, if I wanted to bait, I would have replied to this thread long ago. I just popped it up as some factual info that sort of suggests if you wanted to buy a three door Renault 20 years ago, and use it lightly you would have been better off with an R4 van rather than a Fuego, if you could do without the cushy mod cons of the Fuego :-).

FWIW, I don't know GunnaWanna, but I do concur with some of his earlier reply :-).

Icon12

Simon,
    I have nothing against you personally & I can see that you have no intention to bait. I am trying to keep this light & humourus too

I have a great deal of respect for the information you provide & I am trully glad to see you back on the forum. However, if I don't agree with something that someone says...well, I can't keep my mouth shut (I'm not known as a shrinking violet )

what is to say that in the future the cost of these cars won't change? none of us have a crystal ball....all we can say is that they are cheap now, & if you know how to drive one, you will not be dissapointed with your money spent...now what's so bad about that?

what we should be celebrating is that we are a community of people who love our cars...we love driving them, working on them & talking about them...and that can only be a good thing! Do I care if others don't agree with my perception? no I don't! because I know what I experience & I wouldn't want it any other way! I offer my tales of my experience, so that if someone is so inclined, that they too can experience the joy that I do...again..what is so bad about that? I make no bones about how wrapt I am in my car....and I have driven alot of kms in many cars...the important thing is that I do enjoy the car I drive..for so many reasons! maybe it's not the fastest, maybe it's not the most expensive, maybe it's not for everyone...who cares! I love it! & if I have the opportunity to share my experience with others...who's to say that someone else might not discover the magic that makes me love my car so much? This forum is all about sharing the knowledge...& that is what we are here for...each to their own.....& ultimately supporting french cars, because we enjoy them!

Aus
    Aus

'84 fuego GTX
    '87 fuego GTX
    '85 fuego GTX

Quote Originally Posted by Zareh
    Well, if you go to Spain, Switzerland, the Netherlands and Germany...you will be amazed to see how the Fuego has become a Cult car...now there has to be a reason for this !
    They're the magic words "Cult Car"! This is what governs investment potential.
    In Ireland a cult car is a 6 cylinder Ford Cortina, their answer to a muscle car. In Britain it's a Ford Capri or an Escort, in Germany it's an BMW M3, in the U.S. it's just about any type of 60's muscle car, in Argentina it's the Renault Fuego and in the land of Oz it's the Falcon GTHO or Holden Monaro, which suits me just fine!
    No cult following = cheap prices!
    Look at the prices that VW Beetles are going for! A cult car! Sure they're cute and reliable, but they are cramp, gutless and generally crap to drive!
    So lets keep this little secret to ourselves, otherwise all these cashed up beetle owners will see the error of their ways and start buying Fuegos!
    Cheers Renomad

"Today's mighty oak, is just yesterdays nut that held it's ground"

Current frogs, Dad's R19 & Dad's Scenic.

Past frogs, R12 Wagon X2, R12GL, Fuego X2, R10 X2, R8 X.5!

Quote Originally Posted by Renomad
    They're the magic words "Cult Car"! This is what governs investment potential.
    In Ireland a cult car is a 6 cylinder Ford Cortina, their answer to a muscle car. In Britain it's a Ford Capri or an Escort, in Germany it's an BMW M3, in the U.S. it's just about any type of 60's muscle car, in Argentina it's the Renault Fuego and in the land of Oz it's the Falcon GTHO or Holden Monaro, which suits me just fine!
    No cult following = cheap prices!
    Look at the prices that VW Beetles are going for! A cult car! Sure they're cute and reliable, but they are cramp, gutless and generally crap to drive!
    So lets keep this little secret to ourselves, otherwise all these cashed up beetle owners will see the error of their ways and start buying Fuegos!
    My old man was with the rats in north Egypt, and as a surveyer he had to be at the front, but was at a safe distance. At the end of the days battle he would hop in a heavily modified,IE sandbaged,VW,and head out to the line to pick up the guys who were too bad to get home, but not bad enough for a lift in the ambulance.He would tell of 15 or so blokes crammed onto this car,hitting mines and loosing the tyres, getting everyone off to climb a sand hill etc,but he always got home.Always!.
    No suprise that in '72 when we needed a new car, and were downsizing a bit,the VW was chosen.This car was of legend status, getting the five of us to melbourn and the snow dozens of times,and of course,always getting us home.
    When a car transends so many generations(my dad was born1912)it is guarrenteed a place in cult statusville!!
    Now on to the fuego.Prediction.The value will not rise. the car will fizzle out of exsistance untill,say2035, when the impending oil crises will see any retro petrol car become a colectable.Of course you wont be able to afford to drive it by then and the old guys on Froggy forum will be able to fight for the rest of their retirement about how well a fuego would handle.
    Jo

C'mon guys,

Doesn't need to get personal.

Thanks Ken

David.