Dealer reneged on the deal... Sort of.
  • Register
  • Help
    NFG

Default Dealer reneged on the deal... Sort of.

I bought my Megane 225, and worked a few freebies into the purchase. A pair of Renault Sport mugs (Might have been Renault F1, white with the coloured stripes on it). I got the mugs, but they're the wrong ones - ugly black, with a white 'Renault' on them.

I don't want these mugs, I want the white ones. I'm a bit disappointed by the dealer's attitude - no attempt was made to secure the right pair, they're simply 'not in production' and I can't get them.

TBH I distrust the response - I think she's just passing me off. I waited more than three months to get the car, and they couldn't be bothered to make sure the mugs - in a box with my name on it - stayed safe unti then? The attitude bugs me.

Advertisement

Anyone near a Renault dealer spot a couple of white mugs in the display case lately? =)

Default Maybe the new version???

Was the mug like this one????? current rF1 stock
    http://store.renaultf1.com/en/produc...846&mode=categ

Glass frosted mug. Diameter 77mm, height 130mm, capacity 0.25 litres. Featuring coloured mug handle with integrated agitator. Logo printed on both sides.

http://www.tradeproducts.co.uk/renau...onal_range.htm

NFG

Nope, that's not the one. If I remember correctly (it was months ago, after all) it was a normal mug shape, more white than translucent, with a Renault logo and two blue/yello stripes on it. It was quite nice to look at.

I couldn't find any images on google, sadly.
    Last edited by NFG; 12th November 2005 at 12:37 PM.

1000+ Posts

I'd suggest that they don't place much importance in a couple of coffee cups in the context of the $40,000 purchase of a motor vehicle.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Is "smirk" the word?

Mike.

It is truly remarkable, isn't it, how the small-mindedness of a shortsighted dealership employee has the potential to destroy the good feeling associated with the purchase of a superb car?

Who sells new cars? yes, new car sales people do, a bit. But what gets people thinking about buying a new car and actually going to the dealership? Their friend who's just got a new car. Word of mouth. My recent purchase of a new Scenic was marred by disgraceful behaviour on the part of teh dealership (the car took 5 months, not the promised 3, to arrive, by which stage my tradein had run out of registration so they decided to reduce the value of the trade in by $500, the cost of a full year's reg, even though the delay was their fault not mine.) I didn;t have time or inclination to pursue the matter through small clains or whatever but believe me I tell people when they ask me about the car. So far that has cost the dealership certainly one sale (renault ordered through another dealership) and possibly a few others. Do they know, or care? probably not.
    1970 R12, stupidly sold in 1983
    1976 504, died 1994 to my disgrace
    Various cheap nasty fridges on wheels I'm not going to confess to and are long gone anyway
    2002 Clio 1.6
    2005 Scenic II

NFG

This is kind of my point. I'm sure they don't value the mugs highly given the overall cost of the car, but I think they could have handled the screwup better. Lie to me, tell me you're calling around all the other dealers, looking for a replacement. Or offer me something extra. Don't just tell me they're gone and you can't get any more. We had a bloody deal!

In other news we racked up 450km with the 225, tearing up the back roads of the scenic rim (SE QLD) yesterday. We caned it the whole way, total trip time was six hours, and never a relaxed moment. Well, except for lunch. What a dream it is to drive!!

But then I came home and wanted a coffee (lie) and only had ugly brown mugs to drink it in... <sheds a tear>

Fellow Frogger!

Default Why do they get it so wrong

Yes you will eventually get over the disappointment with a few drives but why is customer service so difficult.

I walked in to Pegeot dealer in 96 with cash to buy a 405 Diesel. Due to the attitude, total lack of interest in making eye contact or showing any interest I walked out and bought a v6 Laguna.

I spoke to a person I know the other day. He bought an Astra convertible a few years ago but really wanted a 406 Turbo Deisel. He took it for a test drive loved it but walked out because "They treated me like a tyre kicker". Another lost deal.

I do drive Peugeots now because Renault was able to lose an enthusiest with their customer service.

I have a salesperson at Peugeot now who looks after me and that is all I wanted in the first place.

Customer service seems so simple I cant understand why it is such a rare commodity. If you search you will find the great customer service we got buying a $6,000 Magna V6 for my daughter from a Honda dealer on here.

Graelin

1000+ Posts

While I agree that customer service - and the little things you guys are speaking of - are very important, I can't help thinking you're all being a little precious about it.

If I wanted a particular car, there's no way that the dealer's attitude would sway me from getting that car. What are you after; a particular car, or a pat on the back, some false friendship, and some cheap goodies for making that choice?

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    While I agree that customer service - and the little things you guys are speaking of - are very important, I can't help thinking you're all being a little precious about it.

If I wanted a particular car, there's no way that the dealer's attitude would sway me from getting that car. What are you after; a particular car, or a pat on the back, some false friendship, and some cheap goodies for making that choice?

Stuey
    It is the slack attitude which will have permiated the whole organisation, so when its time to get a service or a repair a "crap" job will be done. They are not sales people they are order takers. We should not be "forced to buy a car dispite the salesman".
    I just bought a 120Kkm 19 and the plugs had not been replaced since new. The previous owner had all hand book maintenance done and all work was carried out by "french mechanics" (names withheld to protect the guilty).
    I am going over the whole car as I suspect it has had the oil changed and precious little else.
    I just bought a second one on eBay so it will be interesting to see how that has been looked after.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman
    It is the slack attitude which will have permiated the whole organisation, so when its time to get a service or a repair a "crap" job will be done. They are not sales people they are order takers. We should not be "forced to buy a car dispite the salesman".
    I just bought a 120Kkm 19 and the plugs had not been replaced since new. The previous owner had all hand book maintenance done and all work was carried out by "french mechanics" (names withheld to protect the guilty).
    No worries. The point I was making is that I wouldn't choose a car brand because of the quality dealer service, unless that was the only factor splitting them in my decision.

Of course, I acknowledge that some bad attitudes are endemic in an organisation. One thing, though, is that I've always thought that a higher percentage of dealers than most would expect wouldn't change filters and plugs. The apprentice charged with doing 10 minor services in a day will in many cases just drop the oil, clean up the filter canister, and Bob's you're uncle. I've seen it happen twice - I'm not just going by television current affairs programs!

Cheers

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Fellow Frogger!

Stuey
    In my case I was 99% ready for the Peugeot 405, The one percent doubt lead me to Renault where the salesman was on his first day. I had previous good dealings with this person at another dealership and a drive of the Laguna and it was mine.

Yes I agree I can be swayed there are a number of vehicles out there that suit my needs, perhaps I am precious but I work too hard to give my money to someone who doesnt treat me with some measure of respect. I would actually pay more for the same car if I had the choice of good or bad service as I kind of know how my car will be treated by the ones who dont care.

As for false friendship, the salesman who sold me the Laguna has long since retired however he still thinks to send a Christmas card each year. His friendship was not false. I train investigators and yes you can detect (falseness) this a mile off.

I prefer to buy French as I love the cars and whether it is any of the three they all have cars I could enjoy so yes slip up on service and I will try another brand.

This is obviously a personal problem of mine but a principle I live by.

Graelin

1000+ Posts

I have found that if the salesperson is not interested in selling you a car it permeates down to the the service section as well....and surely one wouldnt want slacko maintainence on their car...would they?

I have found a Southside Brisbane French dealer really bad when it came to buying a car. A few months ago i thought i'd put the RSC in to them for a service. The factory books say "use synthetic oil of xx quality" for the Renaults oil changing.
    When i collected the car i noted that they had used an "inferior" oil [not synth. ] as against Renaults own directions. When asked they just said "magnatec is a good oil" Mmmmm.
    On checking the bill they had charged me for full synth. oil ....$55

Says it all really dont it?? cheers JR
    jr20516v

Now:
    Exige SC [modded], 205 Si. 205 GTi , Megane R26 LY , Megane 225 [modded ]

Previous: Honda EP3 Supercharged , 205 x34 [ including MI16 TURBO, 8v TURBO, CTI, 16V+TB's, 8V+TB's,] Fiat X1-9 X3, Beta coupes x5, Lancia Gamma coupe, GTI-R, Corvette C4, Fiero x5, Alpine GTA turbo, r5 GTT Dimma, 2cv ripple nose, Lotus Elise, 205 Dimma TT, Cliosport 172.x2, Clio rs 200

[QUOTE=Sherman]

How do you know they are the original plugs?
    Cheers
    Mike
    Armageddon was yesterday
    Today we have a problem

2000 406 Hdi X 3
    2003 307 Hdi

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Graelin
    In my case I was 99% ready for the Peugeot 405, The one percent doubt lead me to Renault where the salesman was on his first day. I had previous good dealings with this person at another dealership and a drive of the Laguna and it was mine.

Yes I agree I can be swayed there are a number of vehicles out there that suit my needs, perhaps I am precious but I work too hard to give my money to someone who doesnt treat me with some measure of respect. I would actually pay more for the same car if I had the choice of good or bad service as I kind of know how my car will be treated by the ones who dont care.

As for false friendship, the salesman who sold me the Laguna has long since retired however he still thinks to send a Christmas card each year. His friendship was not false. I train investigators and yes you can detect (falseness) this a mile off.

I prefer to buy French as I love the cars and whether it is any of the three they all have cars I could enjoy so yes slip up on service and I will try another brand.

Graelin
    I like your principles.
    I have trained salesmen and a good salesman can detect a liar easily.
    That is what is so frustrating these "salesmen" are so inept they don't even realise that the customer sees right through them but has to buy the product becayse he needs it.

Fellow Frogger!

[QUOTE=Ren25]
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman

How do you know they are the original plugs?
    Cheers
    Mike
    They are so old the caps were baked on and there was disclouration of the porcelain. The gap was out to 60 thou and the centre electrode rounded over.
    Res ipsa loquitor

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Graelin

Graelin
    Hey Graelin, sorry - I wasn't meaning to be personal. I was just making the point that the majority of punters don't know the sales person from Adam and shouldn't be fooled by the hour's worth of friendship they show until you sign up, as they'll probably never see the guy again.

Cheers

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

1000+ Posts

Default That's the importance!

Hey Graelin, sorry - I wasn't meaning to be personal. I was just making the point that the majority of punters don't know the sales person from Adam and shouldn't be fooled by the hour's worth of friendship they show until you sign up, as they'll probably never see the guy again.

Cheers

Stuey

That is exactly why the mugs that were promised were so important to this deal, best summed up in the one word - INTEGRITY! IMHO

Fellow Frogger!

Cheers

Stuey
    Dont worry Stuey I was not taking it that way i know what you mean. Sorry to come across that way.

I was just putting a point about how I feel about customer service and that I have come across a genuine nice guy that always had time for a chat whether buying or popping in for a look.

So no need to apolgise as I did not feel in any way offended.

Thanks for the thought tho.

Yes the last time I bought an amplifier from a well know franchise the salesperson was looking at the next prospect walking thru the door as he mumbled thanks.

I never set foot in there again and have spent around $10,000 since at a place that values customers.

Also both my brothers have bought from there as well. So that glance at the door and false freindship has cost them over $20,000 since 1996.

Cheers

Graelin
    Last edited by Graelin; 14th November 2005 at 06:47 PM.

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by NFG
    This is kind of my point. I'm sure they don't value the mugs highly given the overall cost of the car, but I think they could have handled the screwup better. Lie to me, tell me you're calling around all the other dealers, looking for a replacement. Or offer me something extra. Don't just tell me they're gone and you can't get any more. We had a bloody deal!
    Sometimes you get lucky, a recent family VW purchase the salemans was asked if you could see to it that a polotop was "thrown-in", at first it appeared they had either forgotten or not bothered .. but upon opening the glove box there it was, with a note saying "enjoy".

- xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

1000+ Posts

Yeah, it's funny isn't it? My brother bought a 10 yo BMW from Eurocars (when it was on Canning Hwy) and when he picked it up there was a bottle of bubbly on the passenger seat. I agree it makes a difference to your experience.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by ColinJ
    value of the trade in by $500, the cost of a full year's reg, even though the delay was their fault not mine.)
    That, I very much doubt, unless they screwed up when placing the order. All they can do is place the order to VDA and hence Renault France. In Europe, if the car isn't on the showroom floor/dealer delivery yard, you have an 8 week waiting time. Add shipping time, and you add I guess anything from 1 day to x weeks depending on when the boat leaves (dunno how often they leave for Oz) and how many spots it has allocated already.
    2013 Grand Kangoo
    2011 Megane 3 RS
    2001 Clio Sport 172 (23/85)
    1997 Spider (No. 652)
    1988 5 GT Turbo Phase II
    1968 10

I was going nto say that this was all abit petty, Know what I mean? But then I thought about the time about a year ago that I was in a certain HN store buying a video (gasp) recorder to use on the security cameras at work
    Salesman "You want a Black & White TV to go with that Mate?"
    I tell you, I saw red, He did this in front of several other customers and may have meant it as a joke.
    I didn't see the funny side of it and haven't been back since.
    Wonder what Jerry would think?
    Cheers
    Mike
    Armageddon was yesterday
    Today we have a problem

2000 406 Hdi X 3
    2003 307 Hdi

Thread Information