Had a nasty experience with my r19 today
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger! dave from bendigo's Avatar

Default Had a nasty experience with my r19 today

Hi people, I had a bad day today with my r19, I had driven out to some good op shops to get a funky outfit for the end of year ball tonight for my uni course. I stopped at the lights about 10k from home and saw the temp gauge almost in the nasty zone so i quickly pulled over. I poured like 6 litres of water in to my expansion bottle over the next 20 minutes of driving and stopping to refill, I had thought the worst- that i had done the headgasket, then on the way home (I got my outfit by the way-yellow shirt and gold/yellow tie to go with my suite), I stopped to refill again and noticed a leaking water hose at the back of the engine. So everything is alright, I am just off the road for afew days until I can find a match for the pipe.

Advertisement
    "Some minds are like concrete...all mixed up and permanently set."

1000+ Posts

Dave, if it is just a hose? One from Bursons will fit. I've replaced all of them by just checking their stock.
    The 2 or 3 way pipe with the bleed screw tends to break after some years. got one for $5 but not from renault. Probably best to make one up out of metal b'caus the origional material is cr...

BKT
    Tadpole

I had a bad experience just yesturday.....after shopping, started the car , it wouldn't reverse, it srcheechhed as if the brakes were on, & they weren't..it was a nightmare..... (back to the mechanic... the back brakes have broke.. to top it off ,the symbol falls of the bonnet this morning (I just have to laugh about it) I'm seriously thinking of going back to Ford s,(the mechanic says the car is just being a Renault?) but I still like the R19 )

1000+ Posts

Like any car, they're reliable if they're looked after. You can't blame the brand. My 30 year old R12 has done over 490,000km and has never let me down. I acknowledge that it's a simpler car than the R19 but I reckon the principle stands.

The faults you mention don't indicate design faults, but things that maybe would have been picked up in an inspection.

Stuey
    Last edited by Stuey; 8th November 2005 at 11:53 PM.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by BKT
    I had a bad experience just yesturday.....after shopping, started the car , it wouldn't reverse, it srcheechhed as if the brakes were on, & they weren't..it was a nightmare..... (back to the mechanic... the back brakes have broke.. to top it off ,the symbol falls of the bonnet this morning (I just have to laugh about it) I'm seriously thinking of going back to Ford s,(the mechanic says the car is just being a Renault?) but I still like the R19 )
    This fellow is not the one to work on your Renault. Renaults are neither better nor worse than the majority of cars. Unfortunately some mechanics get locked into the main stream vehicles and will not get their brains out of retirment to do a bit of thinking. Either buy a Ford (or whatever) or change mechanics. The likelyhood of the car being properly attended to is about zero with that attitude.

BKT
    Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    Like any car, they're reliable if they're looked after. You can't blame the brand. My 30 year old R12 has done over 490,000km and has never let me down. I acknowledge that it's a simpler car than the R19 but I reckon the principle stands.

The faults you mention don't indicate design faults, but things that maybe would have been picked up in an inspection.

Stuey

yeah,I guess any car over 10 yrs needs repairs etc.)........((I've seen a renault 12 around before , it's good to see these cars can still keep going)

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman
    This fellow is not the one to work on your Renault. Renaults are neither better nor worse than the majority of cars. Unfortunately some mechanics get locked into the main stream vehicles and will not get their brains out of retirment to do a bit of thinking. Either buy a Ford (or whatever) or change mechanics. The likelyhood of the car being properly attended to is about zero with that attitude.

yes there's a reason renaults are the most popular car in europe (more so than ford etc)
    1970 R12, stupidly sold in 1983
    1976 504, died 1994 to my disgrace
    Various cheap nasty fridges on wheels I'm not going to confess to and are long gone anyway
    2002 Clio 1.6
    2005 Scenic II

Thread Information