R19 Help
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: R19 Help

Default R19 Help

Does anyone know where the high beam relay is on a phase 2 ('94 R19 RT)?

Advertisement

My high beam isn't working when trying to dip between high/low with the lights on. When the lights are off, or when on parkers, I can pull the lever back and the high beam works so it is not bulbs. But this only works whilst you hold the lever back manually. There is no clicking of the relay. And pulling it back whilst low beam is on does not activate high beam.

I thought it might have been the switch so $132 later it is still not working

My Haynes manual doesn't help much. I can trace the wiring diagram to item 33(dip relay) - J6 on the lighting diagram. but it is not in the fuse box area, and the manual doesn't help as to where in the car it is.

Hopefully someone has come across this before. Thanks
    Kevin.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10

My high beam isn't working when trying to dip between high/low with the lights on. When the lights are off, or when on parkers, I can pull the lever back and the high beam works so it is not bulbs. But this only works whilst you hold the lever back manually. There is no clicking of the relay. And pulling it back whilst low beam is on does not activate high beam.

My Haynes manual doesn't help much. I can trace the wiring diagram to item 33(dip relay) - J6 on the lighting diagram. but it is not in the fuse box area, and the manual doesn't help as to where in the car it is.

Kevin.
    Not sure about the RT but on the Phase I it is one of the two on the relay box on the engine bay on the passenger side,
    Just check both relays and you'll see assuminging you know how they work (not trying to be condescending).
    If you are not sure then someone on the forum will be able to expalain.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by JoBo
    Not sure about the RT but on the Phase I it is one of the two on the relay box on the engine bay on the passenger side,
    Just check both relays and you'll see assuminging you know how they work (not trying to be condescending).
    If you are not sure then someone on the forum will be able to expalain.
    Cheers
    You mean the two on the outside of the box near the strut tower?
    There are a number inside but I could not seem to trace the right colour wire to any of them.

I'm not sure how to test them off the car, but I may be able to get one from a wreckers to replace if I can identify the right one. I'm aware in theory how they work, just not sure which spade to put 12V to excite it to test.
    Thanks

BKT
    Tadpole

(not high beam, but my idicators decided not to work sometimes. . . but underneath the coverage on the passenger side , we pulled tight(where the click noise was came from) something (loose connection?)& they now work .....

Yeah, the flasher unit is located there, but not the high beam dip delay.
    I'll check out JoBo's suggestion in the engine bay.

Fellow Frogger!

i have just purchased a 19, It looks like the headlight relays are in the "compartment " in the engine bay. Relays are usually a "generic" item so just pull it out and buy one from any auto elec. will cost under $10.

1000+ Posts

Yeah, the flasher unit is located there, but not the high beam dip delay.
    I'll check out JoBo's suggestion in the engine bay.
    Sorry Kevin i was too smart by half.Was going on what someone told me.
    Just pulled the relays on the outside of the relay box with the headlight on and then again with high beam. No go the lights stayed on.
    Don't think its any on the inside of the relay box either.
    Also pulled all the relays in the fuse box (with headlights on, and again on high beam). None of them turned the lights off.
    Does the 19 actually have a relay for headlights?
    Check with a volt meter at tne fuse box and at the switch and see if you have voltage.
    Suspect it's the multi function switch. The tend to pack up on the 19s. If it is check the dealer price against Caravell's befor you buy.

Kevin.
    Should be located with the fuses in the relay block. There is a relay for dim on the R19

I have replaced the switch on the column so it is not that.
    The wiring diagram has a relay in the circuit, but it is not in the fuse/relay area under the glovebox definitely. between the manual and the wiring diagram I have established what the various relays in there do and none of them are for the lights.

There are a number of relays inside the plastic box near the strut tower so maybe it might be one of those?

As you say, I may have to turn the lights on and go hunting with a multi meter.

Thanks for your help anyway guys. KB

Thread Information