R21 center console
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default R21 center console

Looking for a center console for a series 2 R21. Someone broke into the car and stole mine last week. (In the middle of the day out the front of my house, can you believe it). Unfortunately the assailant wasn't courteous enough to wind my windows up first and now I cant close them for lack of the switches.

Advertisement

Anyone who can help??

Noddy jnr (Canberra)

PS. If the owner of THE ONLY OTHER R21 IN CANBERRA took it and happens to read this .......... Please appreciate that I will be checking your car out soon....lets hope we dont find it that way!!!!!

Youre in luck - it just so happens I have a spare console

Give me a bell on 0417 511433 and I can fix you up with one. Although why on earth anyone would steal one is beyond me....
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Noddy jnr
    Looking for a center console for a series 2 R21. Someone broke into the car and stole mine last week. (In the middle of the day out the front of my house, can you believe it). Unfortunately the assailant wasn't courteous enough to wind my windows up first and now I cant close them for lack of the switches.

Anyone who can help??

Noddy jnr (Canberra)

PS. If the owner of THE ONLY OTHER R21 IN CANBERRA took it and happens to read this .......... Please appreciate that I will be checking your car out soon....lets hope we dont find it that way!!!!!

Hi Noddy Jr,

Sorry can't help, but this came my way from a member of the ROCC the other day:

There is a grey/bronze R21 abandoned on the side of Belconnen Way near
    > >Macquarie. It has been there a week and number plates have now been
    > >removed.
    > >Does anyone know who owns it?

Had a look on my way to Belconnen. Unfortunately its a series 1, and under ACT law I believe that once impounded, it cannot be sold whole or any parts removed from it. Wasn't too bad at all for a 21. So got to be more than one other 21 in CBR.

Yeah, they're are pretty cheeky. My R25 was broken into one night while parked on the front lawn & I was watching TV in the family room a few metres away. Took nothing but smashed the RH rear quarter window. Surprising how many glass fragments that small window can produce & how far they can spread inside the car. Police nicked them later that evening after they had broken into a few other cars. Also have had all the centre fillers for the wheels of my R18 stolen- got to be pretty desperate to do that.

Renpete

Quote Originally Posted by Renpete
    Hi Noddy Jr,

> >removed.

Had a look on my way to Belconnen. Unfortunately its a series 1, and under ACT law I believe that once impounded, it cannot be sold whole or any parts removed from it. Wasn't too bad at all for a 21. So got to be more than one other 21 in CBR.

Yeah, they're are pretty cheeky. My R25 was broken into one night while parked on the front lawn & I was watching TV in the family room a few metres away. Took nothing but smashed the RH rear quarter window. Surprising how many glass fragments that small window can produce & how far they can spread inside the car. Police nicked them later that evening after they had broken into a few other cars. Also have had all the centre fillers for the wheels of my R18 stolen- got to be pretty desperate to do that.

Renpete
    OK NJ,

Go grab Bigears and a tow rope...just watch out for plod.

Unbend a paper clip and use it to jump the contacts on the connectors so you can get those windows up.

Seriously why would you nick such a thing as a console out of a 21?

I suppose it could be another saddo 21 driver such as yourself or maybe some fourbefour hero on the lookout for something that would suit the old Pajero.

My 20 was broken into some years ago at Kambah...they took nothing rummaged through the valuable Leoonard Cohen cassettes and left the lot untouched....even Canberra low life has its standards.

There is always the possibility that this mysterious theft is a part of the imminent terrorist threat mentioned up there on the hill yesterday.

PS: there are still 21's in Canberra....mainly used as garden ornaments and planters.

Last edited by BogMaster; 4th November 2005 at 06:53 PM.
    Woo Hoo Honi ko'u 'elemu (Hawaiian)

It's really pathetic that the ACT govt gave up on selling the many vehicles it impounds. They used to have open day at the pound and take tenders. God knows the're enough interesting cars that end up there...it's a shame really. I suppose that it is easier to accept the scrap value than tendering them out but it sux none the less.

Administrator

Does the console on a 21 house the stereo?

It may have been quicker just to rip out the console with the stereo.

If that's not the case, I can't believe someone would be stupid enough to steal just the friggin console...

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon
    Youre in luck - it just so happens I have a spare console

Give me a bell on 0417 511433 and I can fix you up with one. Although why on earth anyone would steal one is beyond me....
    You weren't up here recently H? With a screwdriver?

Quote Originally Posted by mistareno
    Does the console on a 21 house the stereo?

It may have been quicker just to rip out the console with the stereo.

If that's not the case, I can't believe someone would be stupid enough to steal just the friggin console...
    It doesn't on the series one......bt Noddy Jr's could be a different kettle of frogs.

Tadpole

Wow that stired up a few replies. No Stereo in the console. only reason i can see it being nicked is for another 21. Will do a drive by on the bronze 21 later this evening to check it out. I have a feeling it was from the yass region. So far as I know there is only one other still on the road, A silver series2.

Thanks Haakon for the post, I look forward to hearing from you re: the console.

Truly, I couldnt believe it myself when I found it gone. It happened at about 2pm I was only gone for about 30-40mins and my wife was inside only metres away. I figured it must have been done by someone who knows a bit about the 21's cause they did it so quickly and without damaging anything.

I have tried bridging the contacts to close the windows but no luck. The wiring diagram doesnt give much info other than power/earth etc.......So I figure just leave it in the garage till the replacement arrives.

oh and ......... Hmmmm the terrorist twist may have a little substance to it .... after all this is Canberra, It's the first place I'd blow up in Oz. But not till after I'd ripped off a few froggy owners first.

Noddy jnr

IWS

Noddy jnr,

This is off topic but I have to ask - with a forum name like "Noddy Jnr" that and being from Canberra are you related to Noddy (senior) who once raced a 750 with a hot R16 motor at Mount Ginn?

Ian.

Tadpole

Yep thats me. Noddy is my father.

Tadpole

Hi Noddy Jr,

> >removed.

Renpete

Well, I stopped by to take a look at the bronze 21 on belco way today and bugger me if the console wasnt missing from that one too. rear window was down and drivers door open so I guess it was an open invitation. The car seemed to be in pretty fair condition so I left a note on the vehicle just in case the owner decides he prefers the car without the console and picks it up. Will post a msg in here if they get back to me.

Do you know if they end up at auction after they are impounded? Or do they just become a part of the ever expanding pile of "no you can't have it" stuff that seems to abound in Canberra?

Noddy jnr

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by IWS
    Noddy jnr,

This is off topic but I have to ask - with a forum name like "Noddy Jnr" that and being from Canberra are you related to Noddy (senior) who once raced a 750 with a hot R16 motor at Mount Ginn?

Ian.

Did you race against the might of the unbeatable 750??

IWS

Yep thats me. Noddy is my father.

Well good to hear! and I'm glad that you are keeping up the Renault traditon ( If I recall correctly your sister had an R10 as her first car...) and good to see you in the Forum. A picture of the 750 racing would make a good "avatar" (the picture that you can put under your user name).

No didnt race against the 750, just a specatator at Mount Ginn in the early 70's. I recall seeing it (with much pleasure!) many times at the head of a field of lumbering Holdens and Fords!!

A few years later, unitl the time I moved to Melbounre in the mid 80's, I was customer of Noddy senior when he had his workshop in Lyneham (then had a 404 wagon, later a 504 and my partners R10 and later R16 plus mother-in-law's R12)

Ian.

Well, I stopped by to take a look at the bronze 21 on belco way today and bugger me if the console wasnt missing from that one too. rear window was down and drivers door open so I guess it was an open invitation. The car seemed to be in pretty fair condition so I left a note on the vehicle just in case the owner decides he prefers the car without the console and picks it up. Will post a msg in here if they get back to me.

Do you know if they end up at auction after they are impounded? Or do they just become a part of the ever expanding pile of "no you can't have it" stuff that seems to abound in Canberra?

Noddy jnr
    They used to take tenders NJ but as far as I know they no longer do that. You could try ringing the abandonned vehicle number via Canberraconnect and ask.

My guess is that they just aim to get the scrap value because it is easier - no tenders to administer no employee time spent showing people the cars etc.

One contractor who came to pick up a wreck at my place told me he gets $200 per car at the crusher.....hence that's why those guys will now pick up cars for nothing.

Maybe there is a looney 21 console hoarder at large.

Fellow Frogger!

Noddy jnr
    Noddy jnr,

The car was locked when I looked at it last Wed. I tried all doors as I wanted to unlatch the bonnet & get a look at the motor - with intentions. And the centre console was still there. Guess someone with a penchant for R21s is pretty good at breaking & entering. Wonder if its the same person who did the job on yours? The car is doomed for the crusher - the auctioning of abandoned cars has ceased in the ACT if they are valued at less than $500, which this one would certainly be by the time its removed for impoundment. If you noticed, the rego expired in May this year, so don't really think the owner will turn up & remove it, let alone contact you.

My condolences, but its a case of the quick or get crushed .

Renpete

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by IWS

Well good to hear! and I'm glad that you are keeping up the Renault traditon ( If I recall correctly your sister had an R10 as her first car...) and good to see you in the Forum. A picture of the 750 racing would make a good "avatar" (the picture that you can put under your user name).

No didnt race against the 750, just a specatator at Mount Ginn in the early 70's. I recall seeing it (with much pleasure!) many times at the head of a field of lumbering Holdens and Fords!!

A few years later, unitl the time I moved to Melbounre in the mid 80's, I was customer of Noddy senior when he had his workshop in Lyneham (then had a 404 wagon, later a 504 and my partners R10 and later R16 plus mother-in-law's R12)

Ian.
    I think 3 of us had R10's as our first car, Myself included. I worked with him in Lyneham for a couple of years. I also had about 4 R12's, a 1.4 and a R16ts. Now of cause the 21.

It's a shame they closed Old Mount Gin down all those years ago, it was probably the best thing Canberra had to offer on the racing scene. Bet it would be popular now if the same style of short circuit track were to re-open. You're right about the lumbering Holdens & fords, Noddy wasnt very popular with the 6 & 8 cyl drivers. They used to handicap him a full lap and he'd still lap them

I am trying to source a couple of 750's for him to help work on as a project with me & my son who is 9 y/o. I think he'd like to be able to tinker around with a couple of em again. Will post a feeler in a couple of weeks though as they seem to be a little more expensive than I'd hoped.

ciao
    Noddy jnr

Noddy jnr,

The car was locked when I looked at it last Wed. I tried all doors as I wanted to unlatch the bonnet & get a look at the motor - with intentions. And the centre console was still there. Guess someone with a penchant for R21s is pretty good at breaking & entering. Wonder if its the same person who did the job on yours? The car is doomed for the crusher - the auctioning of abandoned cars has ceased in the ACT if they are valued at less than $500, which this one would certainly be by the time its removed for impoundment. If you noticed, the rego expired in May this year, so don't really think the owner will turn up & remove it, let alone contact you.

Renpete
    Dark of night and a car trailer.....but do it quick. Does it have the dreaded Yellow "about to bhe impounded" number sprayed on it yet?

If not then you have a bit of time.

Tadpole

Noddy jnr,

Renpete
    It would be interesting to find out what the laws are regarding the recovery of abandoned vehicles. Mind make a call on monday am and find out. One would presume that if it's been abandoned and no effort has been made to recover it, that someone who wants it should be able to take it.

Whats there seems to be in pretty fair condition. Mags too.....pretty ordinary looking though.....

ciao
    Noddy jnr

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by BogMaster
    Dark of night and a car trailer.....but do it quick. Does it have the dreaded Yellow "about to bhe impounded" number sprayed on it yet?

If not then you have a bit of time.

Naah, too many dodgy characters around then looking to nick stuff. Better to pay a leisurely visit about lunch time suitably attired in mechanics overalls, put out a couple of witches hats near the edge of the road and park a dual cab canopied 4WD in front of the car with the tailgate down and a tool box displayed so the situation looks official. Then commence work.

And yes, it did have the dreaded number painted on the windscreen, but the colour scheme has changed - it was tastefully done in white - Alpha Bravo Victor 442 I recall. Seems a little strange that the ACT City Rangers have to round up and put ABVs down - but I suppose it's a fine example of just what multiskilling in government agencies can achieve .

Peter

IWS

I think 3 of us had R10's as our first car, Myself included. I worked with him in Lyneham for a couple of years. I also had about 4 R12's, a 1.4 and a R16ts. Now of cause the 21.

It's a shame they closed Old Mount Gin down all those years ago, it was probably the best thing Canberra had to offer on the racing scene. Bet it would be popular now if the same style of short circuit track were to re-open. You're right about the lumbering Holdens & fords, Noddy wasnt very popular with the 6 & 8 cyl drivers. They used to handicap him a full lap and he'd still lap them

I am trying to source a couple of 750's for him to help work on as a project with me & my son who is 9 y/o. I think he'd like to be able to tinker around with a couple of em again. Will post a feeler in a couple of weeks though as they seem to be a little more expensive than I'd hoped.

ciao
    Noddy jnr

I so agree about Mt Ginn. It was a great tight little circuit (so suited to the hot 750!) and great for spectators. I think it was closed due to complaints about noise?

And btw - what happened to the orginal 750? I recall it sitting behind the workshop circa early '80s.

And - if my recollections are right you would have been working on some of my cars if (again as I recall) you took over from the young fellow who Noddy had trained and who then went off (much to Noddy Snrs dismay! ) to get an "easier" job working as a delivery driver or soemesuch.
    Say G'day to your Dad from me. He will (I hope!) remember Ian & Suzie of the 404 Wagon , later 504 and R10, later R16.

Ian.

Thread Information