Clio alternator pulley
  • Register
  • Help

Default Clio alternator pulley

My wife rang me this afternoon to say she'd driven home from town with a battery warning lit on her Clio's dashboard. An eyeballing under the bonnet revealed what you see in the following photo. Actually, it didn't even reveal that much, because it's not easy to see anything much down there that isn't on the visible outer boundaries of the engine, especially not in bright sunlight.

Advertisement

Looks like it's thrown the alternator pulley belt. From what I can see, the belt itself looks to be intact, but the pulley isn't. Can anyone say whether or not it's meant to be held in place by anything more than a bit of that good old dynamic tension? And if so, how it can come undone spontaneously in such a potentially damaging way?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Clio alternator pulley-rotated.jpg  
    MY15 208GTi

previously:
    MY10 Sportium HDi6 and 1.6L auto
    MY99 206GTi
    MY96 306XSi auto
    MY02 Clio 1.4L auto

1ére grenouille:
    MY5? Simca Aronde 90A

QUICK! MORE BREAD, MORE CIRCUSES!!

Icon9

Quote Originally Posted by mr bern
    My wife rang me this afternoon to say she'd driven home from town with a battery warning lit on her Clio's dashboard. An eyeballing under the bonnet revealed what you see in the following photo. Actually, it didn't even reveal that much, because it's not easy to see anything much down there that isn't on the visible outer boundaries of the engine, especially not in bright sunlight.

Looks like it's thrown the alternator pulley belt. From what I can see, the belt itself looks to be intact, but the pulley isn't. Can anyone say whether or not it's meant to be held in place by anything more than a bit of that good old dynamic tension? And if so, how it can come undone spontaneously in such a potentially damaging way?
    yeah its quite tight in that engine bay... a couple of questions to ask:

1 when was it last serviced?
    2 when was the accessories belt replaced last?
    3 how many kms?
    4 ask your wife if there was any odd sound before the batt light came on?

looking at the pic... if the belts not broken, it appears the pulley wheel of the alt has worn? it looks as if it has come off... that belt runs the alt & air con? not thankfully the timing (belt)... the rust/brown colour/dust on the wheel... appears to have been rubbing/grinding for some time...

check with whoever serviced and its still under warranty or extended warranty, your best bet is to call renault aust.

e.sport

Quote Originally Posted by e.sport
    yeah its quite tight in that engine bay... a couple of questions to ask:

1 when was it last serviced?
    2 when was the accessories belt replaced last?
    3 how many kms?
    4 ask your wife if there was any odd sound before the batt light came on?

looking at the pic... if the belts not broken, it appears the pulley wheel of the alt has worn? it looks as if it has come off... that belt runs the alt & air con? not thankfully the timing (belt)... the rust/brown colour/dust on the wheel... appears to have been rubbing/grinding for some time...

check with whoever serviced and its still under warranty or extended warranty, your best bet is to call renault aust.
    In order:
    1. Not that long ago (a month or two, by the dealer where she bought it, as usual -- certainly not last week, if that's where you're heading).
    2. Doubt that it's ever been replaced at all.
    3. I think maybe just on 40,000 km.
    4. She says she heard a clunk, which I'd think is consistent with a belt coming adrift ...
    I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that it's maybe just out of warranty by now ... probably this morning ...
    MY15 208GTi

previously:
    MY99 206GTi
    MY96 306XSi auto
    MY02 Clio 1.4L auto

1ére grenouille:
    MY5? Simca Aronde 90A

In order:
    1. Not that long ago (a month or two, by the dealer where she bought it, as usual -- certainly not last week, if that's where you're heading).
    4. She says she heard a clunk, which I'd think is consistent with a belt coming adrift ...
    I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that it's maybe just out of warranty by now ... probably this morning ...
    mate if its been serviced by a dealer according to the service books they should be liable to complete said service! remember you/we pay for that renault factory service. forgot to ask how old the renault is... (your profile indicates 02) so...

check your service books, depending on when the car was delivered, you maybe ok

as far as item 4... the actual pulley wheel of the alt appears to have sheared/come off? surely this is not a "wear & tear" issue...

Hi, not sure if this pic exactly represents your motor, but I believe the clio alternators are very similar. Looks like the standard "nut holding on the pulley" arrangement...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Clio alternator pulley-clioalt.jpg  
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Looks like the alternator pulley has come loose, perhaps due its securing nut working loose, causing the belt to slip off. The water pump probably runs off the same belt, so don't drive it in that condition, unless you want the motor cooked too.
    2004 Clio Expression Verve 4sp auto -
    1984 Fuego GTX 5 speed (now a write off) -
    1976 504 GL auto (sold)

French cars, Australian wine.

In order:
    Car was serviced at the end of June, and came out of warranty a month ago. Now that it's no longer in bright sunlight, it now looks as though no belt is driving anything, so it travels to the dealer tomorrow on a tow truck. Don't quite understand how it was running at all ... nor how the dealer could conceivably countenance me saying I'd drive it in, though in fairness, he suggested a tow to begin with ....

Had at least one win -- in the metro area, RACV membership entitles me to an 8-km tow; by the RACV's own maps, the dealer is 7.49-odd kms away ...
    MY15 208GTi

previously:
    MY99 206GTi
    MY96 306XSi auto
    MY02 Clio 1.4L auto

1ére grenouille:
    MY5? Simca Aronde 90A

Car was serviced at the end of June, and came out of warranty a month ago. Now that it's no longer in bright sunlight, it now looks as though no belt is driving anything, so it travels to the dealer tomorrow on a tow truck. Don't quite understand how it was running at all ... nor how the dealer could conceivably countenance me saying I'd drive it in, though in fairness, he suggested a tow to begin with ....

Had at least one win -- in the metro area, RACV membership entitles me to an 8-km tow; by the RACV's own maps, the dealer is 7.49-odd kms away ...
    how did you go... any diagnosis yet to report???

Quote Originally Posted by e.sport
    how did you go... any diagnosis yet to report???
    Not sure of what (if anything) is being replaced beyond the belt, but it's apparently a substantial piece of labour to remove the front grill and reassemble the whole arrangement. I'm almost impressed that Renault Aust has (allegedly) agreed to cover half the (claimed) labour cost, but certainly a long way short of being impressed by what's either bodgy design, crap servicing, or faulty manufacture to begin with. When the pulley simply falls off at 44,000-odd km, it's hardly "fair wear and tear", though I wouldn't think it was realistic to even schedule "inspection" of it into a regular 40,000 km service, given how well concealed it all is down there.
    MY15 208GTi

previously:
    MY99 206GTi
    MY96 306XSi auto
    MY02 Clio 1.4L auto

1ére grenouille:
    MY5? Simca Aronde 90A

Warranty is a tricky issue, my Father bought a Mitsubishi Nimbus back in the 1980's (yeh yeh, don't laugh!) - anyway about 3 months out of new car warranty - all of a sudden no more fifth gear (just another neutral)...

Gearbox completely stuffed, total replacement - Dad argued that the car had obviously been treated well, serviced on time etc. etc. - in the end, Mitsubishi paid for all the parts, Dad for the labour - better than nothing I suppose.
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Thread Information