Renault 19 s
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Renault 19 s

BKT
    Tadpole

Default Renault 19 s

...I've owned a second hand Renault 19 for 2 yrs now , but I'm having some trouble now, the car is starting to give trouble starting" sometimes, & most of the time it starts perfectly.....I notice in the heat, after the car has been running ,. it will give trouble to start again , but when it is cool, it gives a perfect start....I notice the car is very tempermental to the Aussie heat...so maybe that is the problem for some older Euro cars in Australia??? B/c I have had the battery checked at Beaurepairs,they said it was fine , & all the safety lights * are perfect on the dash, so I was wondering what could this problem be?? It must be the heat....b/c Renault 19 s are strange cars......... I also notice that these kinds of cars are bad in traffic in Summer........b/c the fan has to keep coming on .& it heats up fast...but appart from that, It's a great car)

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by BKT
    ...I've owned a second hand Renault 19 for 2 yrs now , but I'm having some trouble now, the car is starting to give trouble starting" sometimes, & most of the time it starts perfectly.....I notice in the heat, after the car has been running ,. it will give trouble to start again , but when it is cool, it gives a perfect start....I notice the car is very tempermental to the Aussie heat...so maybe that is the problem for some older Euro cars in Australia??? B/c I have had the battery checked at Beaurepairs,they said it was fine , & all the safety lights * are perfect on the dash, so I was wondering what could this problem be?? It must be the heat....b/c Renault 19 s are strange cars......... I also notice that these kinds of cars are bad in traffic in Summer........b/c the fan has to keep coming on .& it heats up fast...but appart from that, It's a great car)
    Beaurepairs aren't going to solve your problem unless its basic hit or miss at $x per hour.

If you are going to spend money then go to a mechanic who knows something about the vehicles. David Collier at Colliers Automotive in Granville is often mentioned here but there are bound to be other reputable and perhaps cheaper businesses up there as well. I'm sure that people here will be able to steer you in the right direction.

In the meantime you could try checking the plugs, the air & fuel filters, distributor cap and rotor. If you have the naus then move on to looking at your sensors. If that's beyond you then get it to someone who will be able to actually help you rather than take your money while they experiment.

There are a number of other 19 owners here who I'm sure will be able to suggest more specific stuff.

Good luck with it.

PS: The fan should cut in and out as the engine heats up, as long as it's not boiling you don't have much of a problem. If it is worrying you then flushing the cooling system and changing the coolant might be an option.
    Last edited by BogMaster; 29th October 2005 at 11:18 PM.
    Woo Hoo Honi ko'u 'elemu (Hawaiian)

BKT
    Tadpole

Ok thanks....

1000+ Posts

BKT check fuel pressure. Should be about 300kpa and should hold for a while after shutting the engine down. If the pressure drops quickly then the pressure regulator is faulty.
    The fuel pump should draw 5 to 6amp.
    All the igniton parts OK? Dizzi cap clean, no cracks, leads good etc?
    Crank angle sensor somtimes goes faulty when hot.

Have you got a clean radiator on the car?
    I've opened two because they were leaking (crappy plasticy end tanks).
    Had to use a hacksaw blade to clean the crap out. Yes, the system was previously cleaned with a radiator cleaner stuff and refilled with coolant but then it is a second hand car and who knows what the previous owner didn't do.
    Puzzled to see what is so strange about a R19?
    Cheers

BKT
    Tadpole

[ ...... tks, I had a new radiator put in last year, so that should be fine........ I notice, it's just difficult to start when the car is hot, like today in the rain, the car gave a perfect start... so I was wondering why the heat seems to affect the starting of the car so much?/........I do admitt though, I only drive this car locally, & that might be bad for the car,.... also, I service the car regulary, so I don't know if this problem is serious enough to get it checked & I'm not a mechanical guy, or a guy , so I wasn't sure..... oh, btw......if it is sensor problems...does this mean the car could cut out while driving...
    Last edited by BKT; 30th October 2005 at 01:30 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

Default Renault 19s

We recently bought a Reno 19 and had a similar problem with starting car when it was warm. TimK suggested changing the Distributor Cap (centre pin turned out to be almost non-existent). Problem solved. (Also changed plugs but old ones seemed in reasonable shape for kms travelled.) Distribuotr Cap cost about $33.00 plus postage from Ken at Caravelle. (Highly recommended)

Quote Originally Posted by JoBo
    Puzzled to see what is so strange about a R19?
    Cheers
    I don't think there is a lot strange with them at all. For most mechanical repairs virtually any mechanic familiar with modern fwd cars would be capable of competent work.

The hassle with the rest is that the car is an orphan, it was not that well supported by the importer and not that many were sold. So when it comes to things which are basically proprietary Renault design and common faults/quirks, the pool of knowledge out there in the mainstream mechanical repair industry isn't that big.

Woo Hoo Honi ko'u 'elemu (Hawaiian)

Take the car to colliers automotive and he should be able to sort it.

BKT
    Tadpole

Thanks

Thanks
    We've got a 19 which is pretty much the same, except that we spent the money with Dave Collier and he replaced the distributor cap and a few other electrical items and it has been fine ever since. Ours heats up quick in traffic/thermo fan on a lot just like yours.

Overall, with proper maintenance, it has been a very reliable car. But neglect the maintenance and I'm sure it could become a bomb very quickly.

In our time, electrical problems have been the most common ailment, followed by the rear hatch developing a slight leak in heavy rain which we haven't been able to solve completely yet.

Ps - we've just bought a 2002 scenic to replace the 19. Haven't sold the 19 yet, may drive it around for a few more months yet.
    KB

[ ...... tks, I had a new radiator put in last year, so that should be fine........ I notice, it's just difficult to start when the car is hot, like today in the rain, the car gave a perfect start... so I was wondering why the heat seems to affect the starting of the car so much?/........I do admitt though, I only drive this car locally, & that might be bad for the car,.... also, I service the car regulary, so I don't know if this problem is serious enough to get it checked & I'm not a mechanical guy, or a guy , so I wasn't sure..... oh, btw......if it is sensor problems...does this mean the car could cut out while driving...
    R19s are a bit sensitive when it comes to cooling so make sure everything is good in that department. Make sure the thermostat hasn't been taken out by a previous owner to cover up a cooling problem. The electric cooling fan is also a bit prone to failure so you have to keep an eye on the temperature gauge. Dave Collier is expensive but he knows his stuff. He's on the corner of James Ruse Drive and Parramatta Road at Granville. Good luck!

BKT
    Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by 68 404
    R19s are a bit sensitive when it comes to cooling so make sure everything is good in that department. Make sure the thermostat hasn't been taken out by a previous owner to cover up a cooling problem. The electric cooling fan is also a bit prone to failure so you have to keep an eye on the temperature gauge. Dave Collier is expensive but he knows his stuff. He's on the corner of James Ruse Drive and Parramatta Road at Granville. Good luck!

/yeah, the over flow loses a little bit of water from week to week, but not so much ..I'll either try Granville, if I have the time (an hour or so away) ,or maybe a place called French Tech which is nearer) tks)

I had a R19 for 3 years and it was serviced by david collier and they are great cars.

I've read it in heaps of places that the 19 doesn't start as well hot as it does cold, but the only starting problems i've ever had is starter motor.

If you run the AC on a 19 the radiator fan cuts in at a low speed and temps are very stable. Yes they do heat up in traffic, generally they go just past the big notch above halfway ont he gauge and the main fan will kick in.
    If it doesn't kick in there you probably have a failed thermostat that isn't opening enough to let coolant flow into the radiator. (revving the engine can get some flowing in some cases) The sensor for the dash information and the fan cut-in are different, being on the engine and radiator respectively.

I have the haynes manual and the workshop manual for the car.

I'm so tempted to buy a second one
    halfdave - R19RT (sold when moving OS), Volvo S60R (sold when moving back to Aus), Suziki SV650S (ditto), RSC 182 Cup

Thread Information