Drive - Ch 10 Saturday
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 Last
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Drive - Ch 10 Saturday

the new Drive programme starts on Channel 10 this saturday at 4:30pm.

One of the first cars tested is the Megane 225

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by mantra

One of the first cars tested is the Megane 225
    watch the typical australian journo bag it out because it's not made in australia, and it doesn't have the build quality of a german car

Fellow Frogger!

and the giveaway has been upgraded to a 225 instead of a standard Megane!

i think they will be kind, since Renault is sponsoring the program with the giveaway.

Quote Originally Posted by blue2th
    i think they will be kind, since Renault is sponsoring the program with the giveaway.
    Much as I hate to say it, it will be hard for them to be totally objective when the sponsor is paying for their enjoyment.......

In the few episodes I've seen of Top Gear, there seems to be very little direct promotion of manufacturers products. It gives the impression, well to me anyway, of being quite impartial. About as close as it gets is the Suzuki Liana which gives a good account of itself week after week in the "Star In An Affordable Car" segment. Although they never mention what needs to be done to the poor car between programmes...... :-)

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by orestes
    watch the typical australian journo bag it out because it's not made in australia, and it doesn't have the build quality of a german car
    Tee hee.. my wife's cousin and husband hate their middle-of-the-range only-a-few-years-old Merc wagon.. going to sell it, too many problems. muhahahahahhaa (at Merc, not them)
    2013 Grand Kangoo
    2011 Megane 3 RS
    2001 Clio Sport 172 (23/85)
    1997 Spider (No. 652)
    1988 5 GT Turbo Phase II
    1968 10

Quote Originally Posted by mantra
    Lets all keep our fingers crossed that it is worthwhile viewing.
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Polo Green '01 406 Coupe (5spd Man)
    Tuscany Green '00 206 GTi (Croaked!)

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

Tadpole

Dount its going to be worth while viewing, if its anything like the car show was, its going to be total crap!

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by Vukie
    if its anything like the car show was, its going to be total crap!
    You mean it'll be one LOOOOOOOOOOOONG advert

Don't know what's worse ... adverts masquerading as shows (infomercials) or shows masquerading as adverts ?

- xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Quote Originally Posted by XTC
    You mean it'll be one LOOOOOOOOOOOONG advert

Don't know what's worse ... adverts masquerading as shows (infomercials) or shows masquerading as adverts ?

- xTc -
    At least they tell you that an infomercial is an infomercial so you can switch off or change the channel. When it's hogwash turned TV show how is Joe Average supposed to know ??

At least it's publicity for Renault! And seeing Renault are the sponsors it should be good publicity and Joe Average won't know any better!
    If you don't like the show you're watching, turn the TV off and go for a drive!
    Cheers Renomad

"Today's mighty oak, is just yesterdays nut that held it's ground"

Current frogs, Dad's R19 & Dad's Scenic.

Past frogs, R12 Wagon X2, R12GL, Fuego X2, R10 X2, R8 X.5!

Well you can look at it in a way, there are a few renault models to review, so that should cover every 2nd show over a year, plus the side remarks offering how the product is not as good as a renault, how renaults history influences everything they refer to, how renault has a amazing proven record now, F1 etc...

Oh my god are we looking at the reverse of the ten's F1 coverage and bar honda.... well at least Drive has a inhouse model to copy ... :-)

I think quite renault advertising the channel 10 way will be great, lets see how they handle it

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    In the few episodes I've seen of Top Gear, there seems to be very little direct promotion of manufacturers products. It gives the impression, well to me anyway, of being quite impartial.
    I don't find Jeremy particularly impartial

I watch Top Gear for a laugh, for entertainment - I'm not so concerned with the actual 'review' content of the show, as I have my reservations about it.

Bit like the "Stig's" times - there's enough random error in there, so you have to look at the cars' times within a range (confidence intervals ), rather than automatically seeing the 15th car as being faster than the 16th car.

It's entertainment. Just don't take it as the gospel.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

nothing but escape with ET gota love southern cross ten

Looks like it was on at 16:00 in Adelaide - missed it - was it "Bill-Woods-Free"?
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Quote Originally Posted by orestes
    nothing but escape with ET gota love southern cross ten
    You missed it, it was on before escape with ET!

They didn't do a full on road test - just the girl driving it around akuna bay saying how much she liked it blah blah. No track test yet.
    KB

1000+ Posts

Europa, it was absolute rubbish. Not worth watching, except to see the Megane only because it's so unusual to see here on TV.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    Europa, it was absolute rubbish. Not worth watching, except to see the Megane only because it's so unusual to see here on TV.

Stuey
    Ok so I didn't miss anything then.

Troy.

I concur with Stuey. It was a total personality free zone, it didn't even have enough mass to call itself lightweight.

The camera work was shocking, especially "The Chip" giving a BMW M5 a hard time. Lots of short cuts, interior shots and some sort of pointless split screen effect. All over some guitar soundtrack, not load enough to annoy, just loud enough to mask the exhaust note. Infact the whole program was over a music soundtrack. Why?

Then there was Toby Hagon in a Range Rover Sport, doing his best to obliterate native vegetation and watercourses by charging the Rangie down a dry creekbed in some sort of faux motorkhana slalom effect for the camera. No idea what he was trying to demonstrate.

The RS Megane segment was utterly pointless, sort of like a three minute infomercial which was neither information or a commercial. The negative aspect of the car was that it had "too much design", whatever they meant by that. Oh, and in the very lightweight specs at the end, we were told that the "Preferred Bridgestone" tyres were Bridgestone Potenza's, after all the money that Renault spent with Dunlop to perfect the Sport Maxx, to think they could have just thrown on some Potenza's. It would be interesting to do a back to back comparison to see if there is a performance difference between the two sets of tyres on the same Megane.

However the Megane did score four (out of ?) stars, whereas the Monaro CV8Z reviewed first up by Michael Stahl scored three stars.

Oh, to win the Megane 225 you have to estimate the time that "The Chip" will steer a Porsche 997 around Oran Park in on next weeks program, then SMS the answer in or enter it onto their website for a chance to win.

The prize Megane 225 is fitted with a set of Bridgestone Potenza's too. So you are probably getting the idea the program is just a machine for product placement. I suppose it worked too, as I remembered the brands involved.:-)

I suppose it really only has the potential to get better, as it couldn't get any worse!

And in tonight's episode of Top Gear, Clarkson drove a Roller into a swimming pool, Damon Hill lapped their track in the Suzuki Liana (a segment we rarely get to see on BBC World edition), and a stuntman did the six roll world record.

Ten is likely to have allocated approximately zero budget to Drive, as is appropriate for an infomercial they are burying at 4.30 pm on a Saturday rather than Top Gear's 8 pm Sunday timeslot in its home market.

Honestly, I reckon it would be funnier if they added some imagination rather than just Xerox'd the format with added personality bypass.

thanks,
    Andrew
    2003 C3 Exclusive Panoramique auto

Top gear is kept honest because BBC is ad-free.

It seems that whenever commerical tv has a go at a car show, the commercial bit kicks in...

Maybe someone car bug the ABC for a proper car show, or at least a broadcast of Top Gear.
    1987 205 GTI - Graphite Grey - 206k km's
    1988 MR2 Supercharger - Mica Blue - 114k km's

Looks like I'll keep bittorrenting Top Gear, don't think anyone will bother uploading Drive! :-)
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

This has to be the all time favorite Top Gear segment (warning - you may need to install Real Player, which on PC's is a spyware vehicle).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/downloa..._broadband.ram
    (For modem users:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/downloa...narrowband.ram
    )

It demonstrates how hard it is to kill a Toyota Hilux. I will not spoil the conclusion.

thanks,
    Andrew
    2003 C3 Exclusive Panoramique auto

Quote Originally Posted by Cubits
    Maybe someone car bug the ABC for a proper car show, or at least a broadcast of Top Gear.
    Many years ago, the ABC had a program called Torque by Peter Wherrett. Not sure what happened to him, he used to do the automotive segments on Healthy, Wealthy & Wise.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    The prize Megane 225 is fitted with a set of Bridgestone Potenza's too. So you are probably getting the idea the program is just a machine for product placement. I suppose it worked too, as I remembered the brands involved.:-)

I suppose it really only has the potential to get better, as it couldn't get any worse!
    The only thing you forgot was the Shell Optimax fuel card with it too. I loved in particular how they schedule ad's during the program for Optimax. This is quite funny as it's not available here in SA.

But ultimately I lost a half hour of my life on that piece of crap. Dont think I'll be staying home next saturday to watch it.
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

Quote Originally Posted by vanderaj
    This has to be the all time favorite Top Gear segment (warning - you may need to install Real Player, which on PC's is a spyware vehicle).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/downloa..._broadband.ram
    (For modem users:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/downloa...narrowband.ram
    )

It demonstrates how hard it is to kill a Toyota Hilux. I will not spoil the conclusion.

thanks,
    Andrew
    google real alternative, media player classic is much better, and so is it's open source real media codec

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Thread Information