Maybe sales will now increase...
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Maybe sales will now increase...

with this change.

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Maybe sales will now increase...-clipboard.jpg  
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Polo Green '01 406 Coupe (5spd Man)
    Tuscany Green '00 206 GTi (Croaked!)

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

Fellow Frogger!

i sure hope so. i am sick of Renault getting talked down when you bring it up as an option with friends who are looking at getting a new car.

surprisingly, on the way home last night, i saw 2 Megane LX in the space of 50 metres! Looks like it's slowly improving but we really need a good push of the products to get more cars on the road.

I wonder which Ford Mr Smith was Brand Communications for, AU or BA? Also I'm not really aware of any prominent SUV Fords until the recent Territory. Both the Explorer and (Nissan based) Maverick as well as the recent Mazda based SUV's had very low profiles.

Quote Originally Posted by blue2th
    i sure hope so. i am sick of Renault getting talked down when you bring it up as an option with friends who are looking at getting a new car.
    The probelm is the dealer network. Nissan dealers just don't know how to sell European cars, and Nissan OZ isn't committed to the brand.
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    I wonder which Ford Mr Smith was Brand Communications for, AU or BA? Also I'm not really aware of any prominent SUV Fords until the recent Territory. Both the Explorer and (Nissan based) Maverick as well as the recent Mazda based SUV's had very low profiles.
    According to this he would've been responsible for the Territory, given the time at which he moved into the position. Basically, Territory, Escape & Explorer.

All the best to him - I think it's in our interests that Renault do well. At the moment, they're certainly grateful to have a commercial vehicles range.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Wow I can see why he made the switch - marketing the Explorer after the introduction of the Territory would be a tough job. The Territory would almost sell itself too.

Jumping into a marketing role at Renault at this point in time is a good move. The new Clio by all reports is a class leader - about time! I just hope Renault can do something quickly about the Megane though. This market sector has jumped leaps and bounds in the past few years and the Megane was already average at the time of introduction.

Craig, if you're reading then get some diesels here!

Not only friends, but fellow Aussiefrogs contributors as well!

Quote Originally Posted by macquered
    The new Clio by all reports is a class leader - about time!
    The new Clio wasn't exactly poor when it was a new model - prior to Renault Australia's comeback.

I just hope Renault can do something quickly about the Megane though. This market sector has jumped leaps and bounds in the past few years and the Megane was already average at the time of introduction.
    What's average about it, and in compared to what?

Craig, if you're reading then get some diesels here!
    Agreed. Even if it's just to reduce the amount of Renault bashing on the forum
    Last edited by Europa; 26th October 2005 at 03:20 PM.
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Administrator

I just hope Renault can do something quickly about the Megane though. This market sector has jumped leaps and bounds in the past few years and the Megane was already average at the time of introduction.
    The only major gripe I've really read about the Megane range was about steering feel (or lack of)

Wheels, quote the Megane positives as:
    "Supple suspension, classy interior, decent engine, slick 6 speed, styling...

and the negatives as:
    "Auto bludgeons power, arcade game steering and styling (if you can't cop the look it won't work)

As most would know the recent changes to the Megane 225 Cup steering system (which apparently work a treat) are being implemeted across the ENTIRE Megane range which should certainly address the steering issue...

Cars generally sell better in their first few years before starting to decline as newer models come out, unfortunately the Megane (like the Laguna ) was overpriced when it landed in Australia and whilst the pricing issue has been partialy addressed in the last 12 months I feel the damage may have already been done particuarly as the Megane is one of those cars that has to be 'seen' on the road.

IMHO I still think the Megane is the best looking vehicle in it's segment and whilst it was clearly an audacious design on it's launch it still has a purity and simplicity of design (and more importantly detail) that the Mazda3, C4, Golf and Astra can't touch...

The current Clio was competitive when released, yes. Now the competition have smartened up their act, and the Clio sales reflect this. 42 sales for August 05 compared with...say August 2003 where they sold 121. I eagerly wait to see how Renault structures the pricing of the Clio III, not only against the JDM manufacturers, but against the competively priced Polo and Fiesta (RIP Euro Barina).

The Megane falls short in terms of interior accomodation. I felt that it could have had better packaging, especially given the odd looks. Form over function comes to mind. The interior ergonomics aren't to everyones taste either. Engines and gearboxes are nothing spectacular. FWIW, I actually like the bold looks, but was disappointed that it lacked in other areas. The ignition key design is enough to turn me off the whole car too. It's such a dumb design. I realise others like it and I respect that.

I could be wrong I guess, but if I am then we'll have to blame the poor sales on something else. The market isn't exactly afraid of small euro hatches at the moment.

As for the bashing, some might see it as criticism in the form of feedback from a potential customer.
    Last edited by brenno; 26th October 2005 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mistareno
    IMHO I still think the Megane is the best looking vehicle in it's segment and whilst it was clearly an audacious design on it's launch it still has a purity and simplicity of design (and more importantly detail) that the Mazda3, C4, Golf and Astra can't touch...
    I prefer the looks of the C4 over the Megane, but at least the Meg is distinctive, unlike the 307, Astra, 3, and the whitegoods looking Golf.
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

Wow I can see why he made the switch - marketing the Explorer after the introduction of the Territory would be a tough job. The Territory would almost sell itself too.
    They're getting rid of the Explorer downunder, from what I've heard anyway.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Quote Originally Posted by kermit
    I prefer the looks of the C4 over the Megane, but at least the Meg is distinctive, unlike the 307, Astra, 3, and the whitegoods looking Golf.
    I'm hardly surprised you forgot the Corolla

In regards to styling, I think the 5dr Megane looks better than the 5dr C4 which I find plain ugly, especially from the rear. The 3dr C4 does look better than the 3dr Megane.

I do think the current Astra looks quite good and I think they've done a good job with the Coupe by changing the roofline, etc enough to make it reasonably distinct from the 5dr version.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Pug307
    They're getting rid of the Explorer downunder, from what I've heard anyway.
    Why would you buy that when the Territory is on offer.
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

Administrator

The interior ergonomics aren't to everyones taste either. Engines and gearboxes are nothing spectacular. FWIW, I actually like the bold looks, but was disappointed that it lacked in other areas.
    Taste of course is purely subjective...

The 2.0 L Megane (100kw/191nm) was a reasonable preformer in it's class when released and it'll be interesting to see whether they up the power next year with the update as it has admittedly been overtaken by several newer C segmenters (Mazda3, Golf etc...)

The 1.6 is a bit of a slug, but no more so than a 1.6 307...

I could be wrong I guess, but if I am then we'll have to blame the poor sales on something else. The market isn't exactly afraid of small euro hatches at the moment.
    Apart from the pricing, there is only one unfortunate and undeniable reason behind the poor sales (especially the more capital intensive models) - Renault's poor name in Australia.

The only thing that will fix the problem is time. Stable time in Australia, with a stable dealership network and stable parts supply.

Many were burnt badly with Renault's multiple withdrawals from Australia in the 1980's.

Renault sold in pretty good volumes in Australia in the 1960/70's with R8's, R10's, R12's and R16's all having enviable reputations and most Renault owners remained Renault owners and enticed others to the marque.

Then, due to a lack of the required local content, Renault stopped local assembly, appointed a distributor and the rest - as they say - is history...

By 1980 you had the roomy and capable R18 selling for twice what a Renault 12 did a few years earlier, the Fuego provided a temporary reprise before the Mercedes priced R25 put the final nail in the coffin...

Most Renault customers were literaly priced out of the marque and the catastrophic resales that ensued following Renault's depature left an even worse taste in the mouth of the few loyal customers who brought a 25...

The Renault/Volvo abortion of the early 90's just made matters worse...
    Last edited by mistareno; 26th October 2005 at 04:25 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

while we're on the topic of marketing, have you guys checked this out?

http://www.renault.com.au/alonsovstheroad/

i think in all honesty, in defence of the Megane steering, the reviewers give it flack because the reviewers and readers are generally enthusiasts. so the involving drive, feedback etc are important criteria.

to the lay person, they want a light steering wheel which helps them park the car and a bit of weight when going in higher speed to avoid loosing all the feel in case you twitched the wheel too much to change lanes or anything.

even the M5 does not retain the speed sensitive electronice steering but reverts to the traditional hydraulic system for more feel.

let's hope the new pricing, improved advertising (i'm still waiting for it) and more demand for euro hatches results in more Renaults on the road. this would be the main "advertising" required by Renault. Even the Scenics aren't plentiful on the road at the moment. I saw one on Monday, it looked soooo fresh and sexy that I'm baffled the daft overweight (child-killing) 4x4 are not being outsold by it!

I think there needs to be more advertising of the Scenic with the fuel price rise and target more families that are option for the Territory just for the boot space and a bit more leg room.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Pug307
    I'm hardly surprised you forgot the Corolla

In regards to styling, I think the 5dr Megane looks better than the 5dr C4 which I find plain ugly, especially from the rear. The 3dr C4 does look better than the 3dr Megane. I do think the current Astra looks quite good and I think they've done a good job with the Coupe by changing the roofline, etc enough to make it reasonably distinct from the 5dr version.
    I don't really have an issue with the general shape/profile of the C4, it's just the friggin amateur-hour details.

Why does it have a dinky little extra pillar (near the mirror) on the front door?

Why does it have a stupid little black plastic triangle in front of the pillar to disguise the fact that it is too 'cab forward' for the door to meet at the base of the pillar?

Why do the bumper lines just STOP and not continue with a panel gap or shut line?

As for the Astra, well it is so over styled and fussy (particularly around the rear bumper/tailgate aperture and the headlights) that it makes the C4 look quite minimalist in design...

Guys i have meet this guy at the Motor show last the other week, good guy i hope he stays !

I think with some new blood and passion ! they could do something good

Administrator

Even the Scenics aren't plentiful on the road at the moment. I saw one on Monday, it looked soooo fresh and sexy that I'm baffled the daft overweight (child-killing) 4x4 are not being outsold by it!

I think there needs to be more advertising of the Scenic with the fuel price rise and target more families that are option for the Territory just for the boot space and a bit more leg room.
    Don't even go there...

Read the thread on 'What is Renault Oz doing?' in this sub forum...

I really think some of the VDA dealers simply didn't want the Renault franchise but had no choice...

Yeah, lets hope that the Renault sales really do pick up over the next year or so.

As for the nex gen Clio, lets hope they lower the pricing a bit more. I personally felt that the current Clio was a tad on the "expensive" side especially when you compare it against its competitors. $19,990 is alot of money to pay for a car which has a back seat which can only be used by small children and originally didnt come with a CD player. Yes, the car did have class leading or close to it safety features which I think sold a few cars along with winning the NRMA small car catagory. Lets hope the new model is going to land here as soon as possible!

Im not seeing as many New Scenics on the road? Its one cool looking car both on the out side and on the inside!

Any news on a release date for the new Clio?

Is the Modus comming to Australia - now that looks a brilliant car!

Stalled
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

Apart from the pricing, there is only one unfortunate and undeniable reason behind the poor sales (especially the more capital intensive models) - Renault's poor name in Australia.
    I can't say that was a factor with us as I was pretty confident that Renault were going to stick around this time. The Nissan backup (along with the $20m outlay) was comforting. So it was genuinely surprising that the car was mediocre. Our family has a fair history with the marque, probably because my grandfather had a Renault dealership for many years.

It's amusing though that Renault are desperately trying to earn a good reputation for themselves in Australia, while Saab seem to be quite willing to piss theirs up the wall.

while we're on the topic of marketing, have you guys checked this out?

http://www.renault.com.au/alonsovstheroad/
    Great add.
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by STALLED
    Yeah, lets hope that the Renault sales really do pick up over the next year or so.

As for the nex gen Clio, lets hope they lower the pricing a bit more. I personally felt that the current Clio was a tad on the "expensive" side especially when you compare it against its competitors. $19,990 is alot of money to pay for a car which has a back seat which can only be used by small children and originally didnt come with a CD player. Yes, the car did have class leading or close to it safety features which I think sold a few cars along with winning the NRMA small car catagory. Lets hope the new model is going to land here as soon as possible!

Im not seeing as many New Scenics on the road? Its one cool looking car both on the out side and on the inside!

Any news on a release date for the new Clio?

Is the Modus comming to Australia - now that looks a brilliant car!

Stalled
    I reckon Renault would be pretty happy if they could keep the curreny pricing on the new Clio...

The new Clio is physically a bit bigger and is considerably more roomy inside and from reports drives above it's classmates...

If they can keep the prices at the current level and they are well advertised then they will sell well on looks alone, the fact they apparently drive so well will just be a bonus...

Quote Originally Posted by Europa
    Not only friends, but fellow Aussiefrogs contributors as well!

The new Clio wasn't exactly poor when it was a new model - prior to Renault Australia's comeback.

What's average about it, and in compared to what?

Agreed. Even if it's just to reduce the amount of Renault bashing on the forum

Buy a violin
    Woo Hoo Honi ko'u 'elemu (Hawaiian)

I reckon Renault would be pretty happy if they could keep the curreny pricing on the new Clio...

The new Clio is physically a bit bigger and is considerably more roomy inside and from reports drives above it's classmates...

If they can keep the prices at the current level and they are well advertised then they will sell well on looks alone, the fact they apparently drive so well will just be a bonus...
    I definately agree, If the car were to be roomier at still at the same price - I reckon sales would probably increase! Has Renault Australia stopped importing the current Clio and just running down the current stock which they have in Australia - much like the Laguna?

Cant wait to see it on Aussie roads especially in Diesel and RS form!

Stalled
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

IThe new Clio is physically a bit bigger and is considerably more roomy inside and from reports drives above it's classmates...
    Heavier?
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au