Where is the fuel filter on an R25?
  • Register
  • Help

Where is the fuel filter on an R25?

Still waiting for the Haynes manual to arrive...Can anyone point me in the right direction?

If anyone knows the part number to order, that would be helpful too. And where can I get one of these cylindrical air filters to suit this car?

Advertisement

One last thing. In the mornings, I can actually smell petrol in the interior of the car. Anyone know where the leak (if any) might be found? I can't find an external leak anywhere so I'm guessing a fuel line somewhere.

Sorry to be so completely mechanically inept. I'm still tring to learn...

Hello Skip,

tchtchcth and other skippy noises.

My mate with the dodgy Bros Renault 21 has had problems with leaking from one of the injectors...resulting in petrol smells.

Then again it could be fuel lines or any one of a number of things....but you really need to track it down.

Engine bay fires are not much fun.

I lost a great 16ts thanks to a pathetic leaking
    AC fuel pump and as we all know Luke's V6 went west.

Be careful.

Skippy:
    Still waiting for the Haynes manual to arrive...Can anyone point me in the right direction?

If anyone knows the part number to order, that would be helpful too. And where can I get one of these cylindrical air filters to suit this car?

One last thing. In the mornings, I can actually smell petrol in the interior of the car. Anyone know where the leak (if any) might be found? I can't find an external leak anywhere so I'm guessing a fuel line somewhere.

Sorry to be so completely mechanically inept. I'm still tring to learn...
    Woo Hoo Honi ko'u 'elemu (Hawaiian)

Thanks, Bogmaster. Any idea where the actual fuel filter can be found on these models? I'm sure it's in there somewhere!!??

You've got me there,

Luke can probably give you the location.

Failing that, get underneath and follow the fuel line.

I know that Subarus have two, one at the tank near the electric fuel pump and one in the engine bay...but I haven't yet been game enough to purchase a 25, came close a couple of times but was threatened with the rolling pin.

Skippy:
    Thanks, Bogmaster. Any idea where the actual fuel filter can be found on these models? I'm sure it's in there somewhere!!??
    Woo Hoo Honi ko'u 'elemu (Hawaiian)

Skippy,
    All the parts your after, I've got them in stock, just email me and I can send them to you. Your fuel pump and filter are located under the car in front of the RHR wheel, under the RHR door, stick your head under there and look up behind the sill panel.

David.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Hi Skippy

As you have heard, I can't recommend strongly enough to check out the fuel leak/smell! If the car does catch fire, you will go from a wonderful piece of French machinery to a disgusting burnt out wreck. I had a leak from the main fuel line coming from the fuel pump, which dripped onto the exhaust manifold, and whomp!!! That was my beloved V6 R25.

My GTX had a fuel smell from a leaking injector. This was due to the fastning clip that keeps the injectors in place being broken, and thus not giving a tight seal!

Also the fuel tanks can give off odour as the electronic sender is directly underneath the rear seat. If one of the rubber seals is perished the vapour will become quite strong!
    Hope this helps.

If you have any trouble getting to the filter, give me a yell.

regards

Luke
    Cheers - Luke

1990 Renault 25 V6 Baccara - Gunmetal Grey
    1974 Renault 17TS (1317) - Silver

Just a bit more useless info.

The V6 25 has two fuel pumps very similar to the V6 Volvo's of the same era. There is a small booster pump in the fuel tank, and another next to the fuel filter under the right hand passenger rear door.

The four cylinder R25s only have the one at the rear next to the filter.

The V6's run an extremely high fuel pressure, probably another reason why my V6 burnt!!

Luke
    Cheers - Luke

1990 Renault 25 V6 Baccara - Gunmetal Grey
    1974 Renault 17TS (1317) - Silver

I recommended many times over a period of weeks for Luke to get his car checked after he told me about the fuel smell, unfortunately in vain.

Luke has learnt his lesson, now it's time for others.

If you smell fuel in a fuel injected car, ESPECIALLY mechanical injection, GET IT SORTED.

Fuel pressures are extremely high with mechanical injection - ie. R25 V6i (still plenty high enough with electronic injection ie. R25 GTX) - and a small hole can and will lead to fire which will destroy the car.

It's happened to Luke, and it happened to a fellow I knew in Poland. Both cars written off. Same symptoms both times, fuel smell followed by engine bay fire.

OK, lecture over now wink

Another place to check for a fuel filter on a V6i is under the bonnet, top right hand side (looking from the front of the car) - steel cannister with high pressure fuel line running from it to the fuel injection distributor.
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Luke,

I am pretty sure the fuel smell is coming from around the seal you mentioned where the sender unit is under the back seat. It doesn't 'look' perished, though. Are they easily replaceable??

Thanks,
    Skip.

p.s. The 25 went out to lunch yesterday...Not sure exactly what, but it was the day after I had a tune up done. You should have seen the look on their faces when it came back on a tow-truck! Nothing too serious, I hope. I am beginning to wonder if I did the right thing in buying this car...

Thread Information