Gearbox
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Gearbox

62s
    Tadpole

Default Gearbox

Hello Guys,
    I have recently bought a Lotus Europa using a Fuego gearbox that has stripped the internal spline that engages with the input shaft.
    The tag shows NG1034 010202.
    I guess that this is a NG1. ( The manual that should inform me is on the way.)
    As I will rebuild it, I could consider using a NG3.
    How similar is a NG3? Could I readily mount it in the same place? Are the ratios similar? Bell housing size?
    I can, and will, travel to Brisbane to physically measure, but any prior information will be a bonus.
    As this is a Renault question, I assume that I am correct in placing it here rather than in the generic mechanical section. If not, please move it.
    Thanks, Peter

Advertisement

The NG1 'box would likely have come from a late model Renault 18, as that type was only used on the 18 that was sold in AUS.

There are detail differences but both are physically the same size. In a very small nutshell, the NG1 has a two spider gear diff, the NG3 has a stronger four spider diff.

NG1/034 ratios. Diff 9/34, 1st 11/42, 2nd 17/37, 3rd 22/31, 4th 33/34, 5th 36/31.

NG3/064 (generally the most common type in AUS Fuego's, though there are others) Diff 9/34, 1st 11/45, 2nd 17/37, 3rd 22/31, 4th 34/33, 5th 37/29.

Welcome fellow Europa owner :-)
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

There is an 18 with a box still in it at Eagle wrecking at Beenleigh, that is not a long drive for you. Generally it is an old style wrecker, with old style (cheap) prices to go with it.

I am sure Denis at French Car Care in Brisbane would have boxes as well, but I would expect somewhat more expensive.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    ‘02 and ‘03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee +

62s
    Tadpole

Thanks for the help.

I have arranged for the R18 box from Eagle.
    This has possibly done less 'serious' work than the one I have ( The old was hooked to a Vauxhall C20xe with performance upgrades. ) and is, I hope, not broken.

I shall go to French Car Care for other bits and to take over should I get stuck with the rebuild.

Peter

Thread Information