R12 torque steer
  • Register
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

R12 torque steer

Hi guys,

Does anyone know the reason why my 12 might be torque steering? The alignment is absolutely spot on. The alignment guys mentioned the torque steer and put it down to the old tyres, however, it got new tyres straight after the alignment and still steers right when giving it some. I can't figure it, since it has equal length shafts. Can the diff cause this?

All help appreciated!

Stuey

Advertisement

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Fellow Frogger!
    Hey Stuey,

it's just gotta be all that excess horsepower that your 12 is putting out!!

Seriously..... did it do it before the wheel alignment? Did they give you a printout- can you tell that the caster, toe etc is all OK/better than before?

Other than too much hp- sorry but not likely- or a crook wheel alignment there aren't too many other possibilities.

Seeya Ben

FWIW, my R17TS used to torque steer like a bast*rd on slippery roads.

But I guess we are talking a bit more HP than a 12.

Still, I think it's possible for all FWD cars to torque steer to some degree, even with equal-length drive shafts...
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

I had a 16TS engine in a 12 I owned yrs ago.....

That car torque steered like crazy, but gee it pulled hard

12s in my experience do tend to torque steer a lil, I never found it to be a big problem..........if it's "really" bad, as mentioned, something else must be going on....bad wheel alignment, worn suspension bushes, ball joints and crappy CVs even....
    ________
    ArdenAdamz
    Last edited by DTwo; 22nd August 2011 at 03:38 AM.

Never really experienced excessive torque steer on 12's whether on the original 155 tyres or my current 175 tyres. Just wondering if it is soft tie rod end/ suspension bushes/ caster rod bushes, that when static seem fine, but when loaded sort of collapse pointing the front end to one side? Could also be wear only apparent under load in other components mentioned in the previous reply.

How does the car go when coasting, does it pull to one side or the other, ignoring the effect of road camber. It may be that one of the rear trailing arm bushes is worn which would only show up in a four wheel wheel alignment.

How did the wheel alignment place make their diagnosis? If they drove it, it could be that they are used to modern FWD cars with minimal torque steer, not an old car like the 12. Or do you find it different than before?

Simon
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

1000+ Posts
    Howdy again, and thanks for the input,

It's only happened since I fitted the Turbo Technics adjustable wastegate, and raised the boost to 1.1 bar. I'm finding the left tyre also smokes it up a bit when trying to get away from the lights.

The caster bar bushes are new, and although I didn't get a printout of the settings, the tracking is good enough to let go of the wheel for a hundred metres, and the steering wheel is DEAD straight when going straight. I don't know if it did it before the alignment as it was pulling one way anyway - I didn't notice if this changed.

By the way, I agree that almost all FWD's torque steer at some time, but usually with equal length shafts it alternates according to road camber/surface etc. so will pull differently all the time. Guess it must be some quirk of uneven bush wear (said the actress to the bishop).

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Thread Information