Megane 225 Cup - test drive
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Default Megane 225 Cup - test drive

Today i had the pleasure of driving a Blood Orange 225 Cup.

Before buying one i wanted to make sure i would not need a kidney belt when driving on some of our crap roads.

The car i drove came of the showroom floor, with 20 kms on the clock.

First thing you notice is its really smooth, easy to drive. The revised steering feels much more connected and less vauge.

For anyone who knows Parramatta Road in Sydney, if a car is going to ride like crap, thats the road that will show it up.

The 18 inch 235/40 Dunlop Sport Maxx tyres did a good job soaking up the bumps, an they stuck to the road like glue.

For me, as long as it did not ride any harder than My Clio Sport, i could live with it.

No rattles, creeks or any noise at all, very smooth. Mind you if you hit a pot hole at speed, you know about it, but its not that bad.

Advertisement

As for speed, etc its got so much go ...its crazy ... its just effortless.

Last thing, the brakes ...fantastic !

Well i liked it, got to have one .... just got to find the best deal now.

Dom

Icon10

Quote Originally Posted by DrRenaultsport

Before buying one i wanted to make sure i would not need a kidney belt when driving on some of our crap roads.

The car i drove came of the showroom floor, with 20 kms on the clock.

First thing you notice is its really smooth, easy to drive. The revised steering feels much more connected and less vauge.

For anyone who knows Parramatta Road in Sydney, if a car is going to ride like crap, thats the road that will show it up.

The 18 inch 235/40 Dunlop Sport Maxx tyres did a good job soaking up the bumps, an they stuck to the road like glue.

For me, as long as it did not ride any harder than My Clio Sport, i could live with it.

No rattles, creeks or any noise at all, very smooth. Mind you if you hit a pot hole at speed, you know about it, but its not that bad.

As for speed, etc its got so much go ...its crazy ... its just effortless.

Last thing, the brakes ...fantastic !

Dom
    Cheers Dom, looks like I'm off to have a go tomorrow then. I've been waiting to see what all the fuss is about. Perhaps they can do me a wicked deal on one???
    78 Fiat X1/9, Peugeot 406 ST, Peugeot 407 V6 SW

Previous:

05 Megane Turbo
    2x 89 405 Mi16
    67 404

Peugeot, Francais pour "Putain qu'c'est vite"[/FONT]

In yesterday's paper they mentioned that the 2 door will be coming out here, any truth in this? I think the 2 door is a sexier looking bit of kit, still I have no chance of owning either one, half your luck Dom!
    Cheers Renomad

"Today's mighty oak, is just yesterdays nut that held it's ground"

Current frogs, Dad's R19 & Dad's Scenic.

Past frogs, R12 Wagon X2, R12GL, Fuego X2, R10 X2, R8 X.5!

The word is that the three door will be available to special order once the revised model comes out. So likely mid next year some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    The word is that the three door will be available to special order once the revised model comes out. So likely mid next year some time.
    I had herad that as well, I reckon renault should be putting other renaults on special order as well..... pity the V6 Clio is at the end of it's run now..... have to wait for the new "alpine" replacement that has been rumored ..... maybe we can special order that when it comes out....

I reckon renault should be doing more of those things.... "special orders" for limited runs, colours or custom items

Yeah thats true, the 2006 Megane is due feb/march so we wont see it here if we are lucky by June/July or even Aug next year.

An to be honest dont know if i want to wait, the Km's keep rolling over on the Clio so it might be even harder to sell.

Anyone know of someone looking for a Immaculate 03 Monarco Blue Clio with 16 inch wheels, Remus exhaust, Green cotton filter ..... absolutely unmarked and owned by one fussy SOB, 26 k , an balance of new car warranty until sept next year...looking for a good home $25k an its yours .....boy i am going to be sad to see it go.

But i think i will be as happy once i have a nice new shinny Blood orange Megane Cup in the driveway

Quote Originally Posted by Covert
    .... have to wait for the new "alpine" replacement that has been rumored ..... maybe we can special order that when it comes out....
    Covert, does this mean you will be ordering a new Alpine?
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Dom
    Dom,

I bags a ride someday..even the backseat will do...
    Can't wait to see it. You LUCKY man

Cheers
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Covert
    I had herad that as well, I reckon renault should be putting other renaults on special order as well..... pity the V6 Clio is at the end of it's run now.....
    A shame nobody took Leon Daphne up on his offer at the Renault re-launch back in 2001. He said the Avantime was a definate no-show for AUS, but they they would be willing to discuss the Clio V6 with anybody who was serious about buying one.

Do these things compete with the WRX? Willl they wip a 180 around a track? Just interested, personally (and I say this as a PERSONAL comment) not all for the looks. Just wondering about the performance...

Quote Originally Posted by rustymunga
    Do these things compete with the WRX? Willl they wip a 180 around a track? Just interested, personally (and I say this as a PERSONAL comment) not all for the looks. Just wondering about the performance...
    Probably talking all margins here. The only stuff I've got that compares all cars is from UK Evo magazine, the spec for most cars is likely comparable to Australia though.

WRX, Clio 182 and Meg 225, hard to split, probably more so with a few curves. The 206GTi 180 would seem to lag behind, but only marginally. And remember it is all likely to depend on driver skill more than anything else.

WRX (normale) 221bhp, 1395kg's. 0-60MPH 5.5 secs, 0-100MPH 15.7 secs, max speed 143MPH, fuel economy 22mpg.

RS Clio 182 0-60mph 6.6 secs, 0-100mph 17.5 secs, max speed 139mph, fuel economy 34.9mpg.

RS Megane 225. 0-60mph 6.5 secs, 0-100 17.3 secs, max speed 147mph, fuel economy 32.1 mpg.

Peugeot 206GTi 180. 0-60mph 6.9 secs, 0-100mph 18.7 secs, top speed 137mph, fuel economy 32.8 mpg.

Yeah yeah, I know all the figures are in weird imperial miles per hour and miles per gallon, but they should all be relative.

These figures would appear to be makers claims, so would likely be ideal conditions, the figures in the various tests seem to add about .5 to 1.x secs depending on which Evo test you read, so it probably all comes down to driver skills and abuse factor, testing conditions and weather. The figures for the RSC 182 would be for the non lightweight (by 20 odd kg's) non-Cup spec car.

One interesting comparison where not all figures are available, is their track test at the Bedford Autodrome, a 1.8 mile bitumen track. Unfortunately there is no time for the 206GTi 180, but they do say the RSC 182 (lightweight UK Cup spec) has the best hot hatch time of 1.33.10, the Megane Trophy has a time of 1.33.35. So again it all comes down to balls. A skilled driver in a 206GTi, would likely beat a middling driver in an RSC 182.

Fellow Frogger!

WRX (normale) 221bhp, 1395kg's. 0-60MPH 5.5 secs, 0-100MPH 15.7 secs, max speed 143MPH, fuel economy 22mpg.
    Of course Subaru have upped the ante and introduced the 2.5L WRX (and STi) to Australia. The low rev torque deficient is now mostly gone. Any idiot wil be able to launch these things now

Ohh. i noticed that VW has introduced the Polo Gti turbo to Australia. A cheapish (27K) hothatch.

Things ahve never looked brighter in the hot hatch arena

An interesting gap in the MPG figures...
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Simon,
    You could bring in a Clio V6 under the SEVS set of Import rules. Only problem would be that you would be the first, with all of the problem associated with that. Around 20 000 Pounds to purchase the used car, $3000 to get it out here including insurance, 10% Import Duty, and then 10% GST on everything, and then you have to get through the various tests to get it complied. I am sure it would be a lot of fun though!!
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

Quote Originally Posted by alan moore
    You could bring in a Clio V6 under the SEVS set of Import rules. Only problem would be that you would be the first, with all of the problem associated with that.
    I’m wondering if Leon Daphne was intimating that all the paperwork may already have been done, they just wanted serious people to front up with the cash before importing any. Then there were Duttons who were also going to import Clio V6’s after their brief flirtation with the RS Spider’s, prior to Renault coming back on the AUS scene in 2001. So again something may already have been done, but both these examples would be the Mk1 Walkinshaw build cars, but there probably wouldn’t be too much to do for the Mk 2. Apparently there is a Clio V6 Mk 2 heading to Australia as a private import, but after all the previous punters on AF’s asking for Clio V6 import advice I think I’ll wait for it to appear in the metal.

Ah well, enough dreaming. I just have to wait for the old 12 to keel over before I have to think what to replace it with, the way it is going, I’ll have a long time to think :-).

Quote Originally Posted by rustymunga
    I had a check of Motor magazine's Bang for you Bucks 2005 article last night. They took the Megane Sport 225 around Wakefield and were less than charitable about its front-end grip under power. It was nearly a second quicker to 100 than the Gti 180, but 1.5 seconds or so slower around the track. More telling was the lap time (1:16.6 I think) when compared to the standard WRX (about 1:13). Now given the Rex's revised diff settings allowing for understeer reduction (always slows the standard Rex on the track), plus the 2.5's extra torque from lower-down, it would be interesting to see if the revisions on the Cup have closed the gap a little. I'd doubt it, but then most people don't spend much time on-track.
    John

2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue
    2008 BMW 325i M-sport steptronic sedan - Alpineweiss
    2010 BMW 320d Touring Innovations - Space Grey

Have you seen this video:
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28748
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Polo Green '01 406 Coupe (5spd Man)
    Tuscany Green '00 206 GTi (Croaked!)

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

Quote Originally Posted by kermit
    Thats a great little video, and really shows the improvements in the Cup model - fastest car around the track :-)

1000+ Posts

Ah well, enough dreaming. I just have to wait for the old 12 to keel over before I have to think what to replace it with, the way it is going, I’ll have a long time to think :-).
    There is no question, Simon. A Modus 1.5 dCi with the cornering light option.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Icon10

Quote Originally Posted by alan moore
    Simon,
    You could bring in a Clio V6 under the SEVS set of Import rules. Only problem would be that you would be the first, with all of the problem associated with that. Around 20 000 Pounds to purchase the used car, $3000 to get it out here including insurance, 10% Import Duty, and then 10% GST on everything, and then you have to get through the various tests to get it complied. I am sure it would be a lot of fun though!!

I've seen some great nick Clio V6's MkII for under 15000 Pounds now so the thought could be even more tempting. As long as someone in Melbourne is keen on buying I will post in support of the idea every day so we too can share in the joy only a clio V6 can bring!
    78 Fiat X1/9, Peugeot 406 ST, Peugeot 407 V6 SW

Previous:

05 Megane Turbo
    2x 89 405 Mi16
    67 404

Peugeot, Francais pour "Putain qu'c'est vite"[/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    The head side of me would tend to agree :-). But there is something strangely attractive about a car that needs a Finilec spare wheel, not only because there is no spare wheel but because there would be no space to store the flat tyre even if the car had a space saver spare. The Clio V6 looks like it would fill that ideal.

More along the lines of me always having something scungy though would be to wait three years for the 12 to peg out (if it does), pick up an old Kangoo, then replace the front subframe mit motor and trans from a Clio 182, and have a good look if the 182 rear end would also hook up to the Kangoo. A nice, but pointless, sleeper. But at least there would be plenty of room for spare tyres!

Now that is somthing I'd like to see on Australian roads in the near future!

Stalled
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

1000+ Posts

Simon, after experiencing about the 500th nob end trying to race me in the Mi16 since I've had it, I'm beginning to wonder if it's worth it! Oh, for the quiet life in a Modus!

(Mostly Falcons. Go figure!)

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Simon, after experiencing about the 500th nob end trying to race me in the Mi16 since I've had it, I'm beginning to wonder if it's worth it! Oh, for the quiet life in a Modus!

Stuey
    Hmm, a plain white patinated Kangoo 182 sounds like a good alternative afterall :-)

Stuey
    Just lead them up a twisty road. That should fix them.
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Polo Green '01 406 Coupe (5spd Man)
    Tuscany Green '00 206 GTi (Croaked!)

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

Page 1 of 3 123 Last