danger..bush
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: danger..bush

Default danger..bush

As mentioned in previouse thread, my recently re-built front end feels like crap, and handles worse than before all the work.I put the car up on blocks today to try and detect any movement or problems.The cause blew me away.The new caster rod bushes I'd installed 4 weeks ago have completely disintegrated, leaving just the metal sleave! I'm actually amazed at how well the fuego handles ,knowing this fact.
    My point is not to discredit the people who supplyed this bush, but to let anyone know who's recently done any such work to check the integrety of their parts. the bush in question was a cola coloured nylathane or some such material.
    Jo

Advertisement

How were the bushes installed? With the suspension in a laden or unladen poition? If it was installed with the wheels off the ground it wouldn't surprise me that the bushes have worn prematurely.

I always load up the suspension before tightening.
    I dont think you could screw a bush this much if you tried.
    Jo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails danger..bush-bush.jpg  

If it was installed correctly then, I'd be taking it back and asking for a "please explain" at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    If it was installed correctly then, I'd be taking it back and asking for a "please explain" at least.
    All is cool. discussion will come next week when the suplier gets back from holiday.In the mean time, anyone know where you can get those red one piece bushes that I've seen on plenty of wrecks,and in fact have one on the car at the moment.??I've tried the usual sources, but no luck yet.
    Jo

Administrator

G'day Jo,

I noticed in the picture you provided that the metal inner is in two pieces...

Did you have to cut it in half to use those bushes?

I installed 2 piece Nolathane bushes (The common Bright Red colour) about a year or so ago and have had no issues yet...

They were purchased for about $15 a side from memory which was very cheap compared to other options...

They didn't come with the metal tube so I actually burnt the old rubber bushes off the tube and re used it...

Icon1

what is in the photo is what came off the car. the bush was in two parts,and a bit biger when new. Each end just fitted snugly in the castor rod end.On the positive, this bush was easy to remove.
    Jo

Thread Information