My first Renault
  • Register
  • Help
    STM

Icon7 My first Renault

Just picked up my first Relault a Megane Estival Hatch. Love the car and all the funny little quirks that go with it.

Traded in a Mazda 3 on the Renault and received a good deal and service from Rex Gorell at Geelong. The Mazda was a good car except for the road and suspension noise. It realy let you know when there were changes to the road surface.

I read a number of road tests about the Megan before bying and was a little concerned about the steering. One road test inparticular inferred that it was indirect etc. Frankly, the car is beautiful to drive and a pleasure to be behind the wheel of.

This is my first Renault and all going well wont be my last.

Advertisement
    Last edited by STM; 20th October 2005 at 09:41 AM.

1000+ Posts

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the world of Renault and hope that your experience is rewarding as you settle into owning a "Frenchie!!!

Icon7

Great choice STM. Once you've changed to a Euro you'll never go back to Japanese again!

Wow, trading a Mazda 3 in on a Renault must have surprised the dealer. All you read is the big waitling lists for the 3's, they probably flogged it easily. Hope they gave a good trade-in price to you.

Enjoy the Megane. The styling will still be fresh in years to come, when all the others will look quite dated

David

Quote Originally Posted by STM
    Just picked up my first Relault a Megane Estival Hatch. Love the car and all the funny little quirks that go with it.

Traded in a Mazda 3 on the Renault and received a good deal and service from Rex Gorell at Geelong. The Mazda was a good car except for the road and suspension noise. It realy let you know when there were changes to the road surface.

I read a number of road tests about the Megan before bying and was a little concerned about the steering. One road test inparticular inferred that it was indirect etc. Frankly, the car is beautiful to drive and a pleasure to be behind the wheel of.

I'd be really interested to hear your thoughts on how the chassis compares with the 3 - the press always rave about the handling of the Mazda, but I have found that French setups often seem to suit our roads better than the Japs most of the time.

Also, did you compare the C4 or 307?
    John

2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue
    2008 BMW 325i M-sport steptronic sedan - Alpineweiss
    2010 BMW 320d Touring Innovations - Space Grey

STM

First, thanks for the welcome guys its appreciated.

I bought the Megane at Rex Gorell, Geelong. I was very happy with the service and the deal I received. Nothing was too much trouble and very willing to chat about the car. I think when I went to the show room they thought I was only tye kicking and trying to fill in an afternoon.

The 3 is a good car and handles very well. A firmer ride than the Renault and would corner better. But, and a big but is driving pleasure. Drive on anything but the best of roads and the cabin noise is excessive. Hit a bump (it doesen't have to be big) and the suspension noise is excessive. Do a long trip on changing surfaces and by the end of it your stuffed. The Renault is by far a moore driveable care. Good noise levels, if I want noise it will be my choice. Its fun to drive just cruising around or giving it some stick.

I didn't look at the C4 or 307 because deep down I wanted a Renault. This goes back over a period of some years when I had a ride in one and a friend had one and owning a Renault has always played on my mind and I'm talking a lot of years.

The only problem with the Renault is getting the keys (sorry card) off the wife. Would hardly drive the 3 but wont get out of the Megane.

Stan

1000+ Posts

Hi Stan, and welcome.

They are very interesting observations about the Mazda 3. My brother has the SP23, and I did notice that it was noisy in the back seat, but put that down to the slightly lower springs he had installed. Maybe it isn't?

Anyway, good buy, and I like the way you made your own mind up about the steering. Some people are put off by magazines and never try a car.

Cheers

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Welcome stan and what a great car.

Fellow Frogger!

Welcome Stan from another Geelong megane pair.

When sharon bought her hatch 12 months ago she was really keen to get a 3; we drove it then the megane and there was no comparison, she hated the noise of the 3.Her 99 Astra was better!

My Estival sedan is 2500klm old and is great BUT it definately has better steering than Sharon's so may be there has been an upgradein the last twelve months.

Stan is yours the silver one with personalised plates that I saw in Kilgour st this morning???

Peter.

First, thanks for the welcome guys its appreciated.

I bought the Megane at Rex Gorell, Geelong. I was very happy with the service and the deal I received. Nothing was too much trouble and very willing to chat about the car. I think when I went to the show room they thought I was only tye kicking and trying to fill in an afternoon.

The 3 is a good car and handles very well. A firmer ride than the Renault and would corner better. But, and a big but is driving pleasure. Drive on anything but the best of roads and the cabin noise is excessive. Hit a bump (it doesen't have to be big) and the suspension noise is excessive. Do a long trip on changing surfaces and by the end of it your stuffed. The Renault is by far a moore driveable care. Good noise levels, if I want noise it will be my choice. Its fun to drive just cruising around or giving it some stick.

I didn't look at the C4 or 307 because deep down I wanted a Renault. This goes back over a period of some years when I had a ride in one and a friend had one and owning a Renault has always played on my mind and I'm talking a lot of years.

The only problem with the Renault is getting the keys (sorry card) off the wife. Would hardly drive the 3 but wont get out of the Megane.

Stan
    Thanks for the feedback. I think you've hit the nail on the head with the driveability issue. The press have the luxury of hopping into something for a couple of days, then handing it back. I think the effect of road noise and confort on ownership pleasure is sometimes a little underestimated when compared to sprightly performance and sharp handling. Also, tie me up and feed me Sashimi, but the ergonomics of the French cars still take a little...getting used to. So you need a good week or two to really feel at home. I still find this swapping between the Subaru and Citroen - the Subaru's cabin never feels odd to me, no matter how long I'm out of it but the Xantia always does - only for 1/2 an hour, but still..

I recently tried the C4 and found similar (generally milder, but lack of footrest VERY major) issues with the driving position. I'm keen to try the Megane; I'm a big fan of the styling and the interior.
    John

STM

Yes Peter, that was me, we were both at the roudabout at about the same time. I have noticed you sedan before and admired it. Looks great.

I noticed in todays Sun they have an article on the the Megan 225 Cup, and indicated that the steering had improved, so maybe the later Meganes received this upgrade also.

Its good to see that I'm not the only one who noticed the noise in the 3, statting toi think it was just me.

Trixie, I think that's what Jap cars are, a similar layout inside. There is not much different from one to the other, not like Euro.

Stan

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie
    Also, tie me up and feed me Sashimi, but the ergonomics of the French cars still take a little...getting used to.
    They do feel different for sure, can you think of some examples?

I always have the feeling that when you jump into a japanese car, generally everything is in the same place, whereas with Euros, there are different placements between manufacturers and models.

Or then you get the ridiculous, like the R25 Phase I with three different volume controls for the stereo (a total of six buttons!), plus on the RHD versions, the wiper stalk obscures the hazard/fog/demist buttons and the automatic trans position indicator on the wrong side of the gearstick
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Being 180cm tall I tend to find the pedals are often a little more offset, there is often less room around them and sometimes even NO FOOTREST . Then there is the relationship between the steering wheel and the seat; the wheel is often further away than I would like, but closer to the knees than ideal for me. Adjustable steering wheels have helped considerably with this and things are getting better all the time. I don't mean to suggest that the French are wrong, just that the ergonomics are often not quite as 'natural' (maybe read 'formula' or 'consistent') as you get with Saab, BMW, Benz, Holden, Ford, Subaru, Mazda etc. And this puts them at a disadvantage in a group test when drivers swap between the other makes and the French ones.
    John

Tadpole

g'day Stan,

Rick from Gorell's here. Great to hear all is going well. Must admit I saw a green Megane hatch on my way in this morning. Renault's are popping up more often down this way now.
    You are spot on with the 3. The big issue has always been road/tyre noise.

Keep your eyes peeled for the new Megane 225 Cup. There will be a few jetting about Geelong soon !

All the best and thanks for your feed back

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RickH
    You are spot on with the 3. The big issue has always been road/tyre noise.
    Makes you wonder if it is tyre related? Sort of like the old Fuego TRX's where there were lots of warranty complaints about worn wheel bearings, tyre noise, coarse road noise on certain surfaces, all of which was put down to the TRX's. Once they had a set of sensible shoes they were nice and quiet.

1000+ Posts

I'd guess that the SP23 would have even a different brand of tyre (of course, it's a different size) to the standard 3, so I'm not so sure about that, Simon.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Thread Information