Info on Renault 16
  • Register
  • Help

Info on Renault 16

I dont know much about the Renault 16 but I know the auto is a column shift is the manual a column shift also? kisses

Advertisement

COL
    Hi Daniel
    Yes the manuals are column shift as well. Not a bad column shift as far as column shifts go.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

danielsydney:
    I dont know much about the Renault 16 but I know the auto is a column shift is the manual a column shift also? kisses
    If you are thinking about learning to drive a manual in a 16, have another think. The handbrake is really badly placed and is awkward to use, if it indeed does work, for hill starts. Besides there are lots of other age issues with 16's, like worn front/rear suspension wishbone bushes (expensive and difficult to replace), body rust and internal engine corrosion. Thinking though, a 16 even with all its foibles it would still be better than a Niki!

Simon
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Just chiming in here, as an ex-16 owner...

There's nothing wrong with the column shift manuals in 16s......the shift quality was light years ahead of most column shifts of the time.

Actually, I can't think of a better changing/"feeling" column shift except perhaps a 404.

Don't let the column shift scare you off, if you've found a good one.....go for it, they are a great car (esp late TS/TXs).
    ________
    Nexium Lawsuits
    Last edited by DTwo; 22nd August 2011 at 03:38 AM.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DTwo:
    [QB]Just chiming in here, as an ex-16 owner...

I'll add my bit too, as a current late model 16TS owner. The column shift is indeed as good as they get and a joy to operate.

The 16 is a great car to drive even now, but the thing that really gives its age away is the heaviness of the steering. Keep the right size tyres and keep the pressures up! Late model ones had a reasonable handbrake location (as they extended the handle!!)and they work reasonably well.

If you are keen and can find a good one, parts aren't a big problem as a rule but rust certainly is THE issue.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

I don't know much about R16's, but the 404 also has a difficult to access handbrake. I never found hillstarts a problem though because the brake and accelerator were perfectly placed for easy heal-toeing, thus I never ever needed to use the handbrake for hill starts. Actually I've got into the habit of doing hill starts this way no matter what car I'm driving. Every now and then ,though, I come across a car with bad pedal placement so I have to resort to using the handbrake (most annoying!).

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Once you get over the misconception that God intended gear sticks to be on the floor, you will find that the R16 column shift is fabulous. Gears at your fingertips. My beloved R16TS has now succumbed to rust, but I'll never forget that lovely engine, sweet gear shift and magic carpet ride.
    2004 Clio Expression Verve 4sp auto -
    1984 Fuego GTX 5 speed (now a write off) -
    1976 504 GL auto (sold)

French cars, Australian wine.

Hi Daniel

I actually learn't to drive in a 16TS 1975 model. It was so easy to drive with the column shift and I found that it could be very forgiving on the clutch/accelerator combo. (much like my R15).

As I learn't to drive in a pine forest, the great ground clearancwe came in handy as there were many large pot holes, roots etc.

Try one, I think you will like it.
    Oh, don't forget the beaut ride.

Regards

Luke
    Cheers - Luke

1990 Renault 25 V6 Baccara - Gunmetal Grey
    1974 Renault 17TS (1317) - Silver

Yeah i want to learn to drive a manual now more than ever after the sydney frog run and not being able to keep up with all those 306 gti's...

1000+ Posts
    danielsydney:
    Yeah i want to learn to drive a manual now more than ever after the sydney frog run and not being able to keep up with all those 306 gti's...
    YAY head_ban dance

Go Daniel

Derek

danielsydney:
    I think you'll need more than a manual if you wanna mix it with 306 GTI-6's, S16's etc with a stock R19, maybe cams and a 16v head would do. Also, if you've got your original 14' rims, chuck them on for the next frog run; your acceleration will be a bit better than with your aftermarket rims.

cheers

davemcbean:
    I don't know much about R16's, but the 404 also has a difficult to access handbrake.....
    Yes, a legacy of having been designed prior to the general introduction of safety belts. And going out before the compulsory fitting of inertia reel belts...

Thread Information