fuego rack height
  • Register
  • Help

Default fuego rack height

I've done alot of work on the front end of the fuego and the I'm not happy with her yet.The rack apears to be set wrong. Does anyone here know anything about setting rack heights,as everyone I've talked to up here,including my local new renault workshop shrugs their sholders at the mention of fuego rack height.Some mech even tried convincing me the height would not matter.I could probably change things through trial and error, but would be affecting the toe,so I was hoping for a more technical aproach.
    Jo

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Default Fuego Front end geometry

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi
    I've done alot of work on the front end of the fuego and the I'm not happy with her yet.The rack apears to be set wrong. Does anyone here know anything about setting rack heights,as everyone I've talked to up here,including my local new renault workshop shrugs their sholders at the mention of fuego rack height.Some mech even tried convincing me the height would not matter.I could probably change things through trial and error, but would be affecting the toe,so I was hoping for a more technical aproach.
    Jo
    Jo
    If you can get hold of an MR 238 Factory Manual, this technical data is all explained in the Front Axle section G the manual I have refers to types 1368-136A for US Canada, but seems to follow the general setup of ours.

Gets pretty technical after you get past this.
    Steering box height setting
    The purpose of adjusting the height of the steering rack (Dimension H) is to position it with respect of the front suspension arms, so as to obtain a correct toe-in/topw-out value for any position of the front suspension.

example when the steering tie-rods are parallel to the suspension arms the variation in tow during suspension travel is zero.

Dimension H is the measurement from the centreline of the rack to the centreline of the inner upper pivot point of the front suspension arm.

It then goes on to describe using a light beam aligner ...also a steering wheel holder MS 504-01 (to hold the steering in the straight ahead position)

I could photostat the pages and send them to you, but I have the feeling that there is a simpler work-a- round used by mechanics to achieve the same purpose.

I have yet to remove and replace the power steering so haven't gone into the depth of this topic.

Ken. PM me if you want photostats.

1000+ Posts

Default Priority post on way.

Jo
    That stuff should be with you today. (Thursday)

I have included the US/Canada tyre specs. as the sizing may effect the dimensions shown, a fact that may have to be reverse calculated for your aftermarket rims.

Hopefully this will give you some basics to build on.

Regards.
    Ken

thanks Ken.
    I'm starting to understand the function of the steering components better, and yestarday found some great info from the US, from mustangs and pantera sites.looking forward to the mailman, though.
    cheers,jo

Thread Information