R16 suspension upgrade
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

R16 suspension upgrade

Currently preparing a R16TS as a "gentleman's" khanacross/rally car and am interested in any knowledge of useful suspension mods - eg front sway bar upgrade. I believe TXs ran a modified bar but I have no specs to go on. Interested in any other beefing up suggestions.

Advertisement

Stewart:
    Currently preparing a R16TS as a "gentleman's" khanacross/rally car and am interested in any knowledge of useful suspension mods - eg front sway bar upgrade. I believe TXs ran a modified bar but I have no specs to go on. Interested in any other beefing up suggestions.
    The Renault Australia rally 16's were fitted with the African spec torsion bars which were supposedly stiffer, and someone my Dad knew back in about 1972 is supposed to have had them fitted to his 16TS as a special order when he bought a new car. I was too young to notice any difference though. I've also heard of people using coil over shocks but don't have any other details of what is involved.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Tadpole
    Thanks for the info Simon. This gels with what I heard about torsion bars but nobody seems to know the specs for those. I have mailed the R16 site in ?Jordan which has pictures of the successful jordanian 16TS in the 1970s Sahara rallies.

The Coil over shock sounds interesting - need to get a wheel off and get my mind around that. I guess a beefed up torsion bar may be a first step to taking the top out of some of the roll. We have fitted all new suspension bushings front and rear and new lower wishbones front.
    Will see how that goes - Thanks again for your interest

Thread Information