Renault 25 Limousine
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Icon1 Renault 25 Limousine

The Renault 25 was a large, luxurious car aimed at highly demanding motorists. It offered all the comfort, safety, performance, equipment and interior space that could be expected of a top-end car, and it was designed from the outset to introduce a wealth of innovative features.

The Renault 25 was not exactly a hatchback and not exactly a saloon, but the best of both. The highly accessible boot could be extended with the greatest of ease, thanks to an original rear-seat design.

This large tourer offered vast interior space for all vehicle occupants. Yet it was not uncomfortably large for urban driving. Designers had been very insistent on aerodynamic qualities, and the car's Cd of 0.28 facilitated both high performance and low fuel consumption. Advanced convenience features included remote-control door locking, steering-wheel radio controls, and full electronic surveillance with speech synthesis.
    Name: Renault 25 Limousine
    Model year: 1986
    Engine: Renault 6-cylinder unit with 90° V-configuration - Capacity: 2,849cc - Bore: 91mm - Stroke: 73mm - Electronic ignition and injection
    Power: 160bhp at 5,400rpm
    Gearbox: Five forward speeds and reverse
    Brakes: X circuit with disks on all four wheels (ventilated at front) and power booster
    Coachwork: Five-seater saloon
    Dimensions: Length: 4.71m - Width: 1.80m - Height: 1.41m
    Weight: 1,280kg
    Top speed: 215kph

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Renault 25 Limousine-large_v1_39.gif  

Quote Originally Posted by danielsydney
    ...steering-wheel radio controls...
    bzzt wrong - steering wheel controls are cruise, radio is controlled by the wand protuding behind (like most modern Renaults). Possibly this is lost in translation.

Engine: Renault 6-cylinder unit with 90° V-configuration - Capacity: 2,849cc - Bore: 91mm - Stroke: 73mm - Electronic ignition and injection
    Reckon I'd have to dispute the 2,849cc motor and electronic injection - later models (Phase II) yes, but not in 1986. Happy to be proven wrong though :-)
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Here some shots of a 25 Limo
    http://renault25.site.voila.fr/page7.html

or these r25 specials.... my they played with them alot
    http://www.renault25.nl/Reghistorie/specials.htm
    limo section
    http://www.renault25.nl/Reghistorie/limousines.htm
    pics but no info

Is this renaults first try and the ncap rating's with stronger windows ;-)

Yes, the bulletproof windows were pretty amazing. God knows how they managed to get them to open and close, or even how they stopped the door hinges from breaking with that weight!
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Reckon I'd have to dispute the 2,849cc motor and electronic injection - later models (Phase II) yes, but not in 1986. Happy to be proven wrong though :-)[/QUOTE]

The R25 V6 always had electronic injection. The first models came into NZ in 1984 with all the bits - voice synthesiser, remote c/lock, climate air etc. We initially got the 2.7L V6(efi), and the 2.0L GTS. The 2.2L (efi) GTX arrived in 1985 and was the most popular model. The V6 Turbo came in 1986. All (except the turbo) were initially available with manual or automatic transmissions.
    Last edited by nzrhysco; 17th October 2005 at 06:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nzrhysco
    The R25 V6 always had electronic injection.
    Wow! FOUND! In little old Adelaide, Australia. From the previous reply, what must be a rare prototype 25V6i (non limo) fitted with factory Bosch K-Jetronic injection! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by nzrhysco
    The R25 V6 always had electronic injection.
    Mine doesn't. Prove otherwise.

The Renault 25 was a large, luxurious car aimed at highly demanding motorists. It offered all the comfort, safety, performance, equipment and interior space that could be expected of a top-end car, and it was designed from the outset to introduce a wealth of innovative features.

The Renault 25 was not exactly a hatchback and not exactly a saloon, but the best of both. The highly accessible boot could be extended with the greatest of ease, thanks to an original rear-seat design.

This large tourer offered vast interior space for all vehicle occupants. Yet it was not uncomfortably large for urban driving. Designers had been very insistent on aerodynamic qualities, and the car's Cd of 0.28 facilitated both high performance and low fuel consumption. Advanced convenience features included remote-control door locking, steering-wheel radio controls, and full electronic surveillance with speech synthesis.
    Gearbox: Five forward speeds and reverse
    Brakes: X circuit with disks on all four wheels (ventilated at front) and power booster
    Coachwork: Five-seater saloon
    Dimensions: Length: 4.71m - Width: 1.80m - Height: 1.41m
    Weight: 1,280kg
    Top speed: 215kph
    & Citroen were 10 years ahead with the CX Prestige. Better seats too

farmerdave

QUOTE]

The R25 V6 always had electronic injection. The first models came into NZ in 1984 with all the bits - voice synthesiser, remote c/lock, climate air etc. We initially got the 2.7L V6(efi), and the 2.0L GTS. The 2.2L (efi) GTX arrived in 1985 and was the most popular model. The V6 Turbo came in 1986. All (except the turbo) were initially available with manual or automatic transmissions.[/QUOTE]

No, Simon, I have the other rare version. And I must confess that a third was dismantled by self for the greater good.

The phase 1 v6 (2664 cc) had k-jetronic injection and bosch ignition, phase 2 cars had Renix injection and ignition and a TOTALLY different manifold. You are welcome to look at any time.

NZ did get very early RHD production GTX (1984 cars sold as 1985 models), as well as GTS and TS spec cars. The TS (and to a lesser extent the GTS) were poverty spec with no renault radio, no voice warning, manual windows, manual seats etc etc. The external trim is also considerably different from the top spec cars, lacking lots of the rubbers and seals which make the car much quieter.
    Climate control air conditioning was not fitted on any model until late 1986-1987.

Danielsydney, can you post or PM the source of this article please?

Can anyone confirm the Cd of 0.28?

CX Prestige- 10 years out of date in 1984, not the look for France at the time. Although it got much worse a year later in NZ. .
    Have you ever sat in a top spec R25, driven one for hours at a time? The seats are beyond compare.

Farmerdave
    Last edited by farmerdave; 17th October 2005 at 08:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by farmerdave
    QUOTE]

The R25 V6 always had electronic injection. The first models came into NZ in 1984 with all the bits - voice synthesiser, remote c/lock, climate air etc. We initially got the 2.7L V6(efi), and the 2.0L GTS. The 2.2L (efi) GTX arrived in 1985 and was the most popular model. The V6 Turbo came in 1986. All (except the turbo) were initially available with manual or automatic transmissions.
    No, Simon, I have the other rare version. And I must confess that a third was dismantled by self for the greater good.

The phase 1 v6 (2664 cc) had k-jetronic injection and bosch ignition, phase 2 cars had Renix injection and ignition and a TOTALLY different manifold. You are welcome to look at any time.

NZ did get very early RHD production GTX (1984 cars sold as 1985 models), as well as GTS and TS spec cars. The TS (and to a lesser extent the GTS) were poverty spec with no renault radio, no voice warning, manual windows, manual seats etc etc. The external trim is also considerably different from the top spec cars, lacking lots of the rubbers and seals which make the car much quieter.
    Climate control air conditioning was not fitted on any model until late 1986-1987.

CX Prestige- 10 years out of date in 1984, not the look for France at the time. Although it got much worse a year later in NZ. .
    Have you ever sat in a top spec R25, driven one for hours at a time? The seats are beyond compare.

Beh, ouf, et Renault , what were Renault making in 1976 in comparison to The CX Monsieur Nouvelle Zealande?

Farmerdave[/QUOTE]

Fellow Frogger!
    2013 Grand Kangoo
    2011 Megane 3 RS
    2001 Clio Sport 172 (23/85)
    1997 Spider (No. 652)
    1988 5 GT Turbo Phase II
    1968 10

Quote Originally Posted by farmerdave
    QUOTE]

Hmm, sounds like The Factory tried to bury the rare K-Jet 25V6's on the other side of the world to keep them from prying eyes :-)

OK, back to reality. I've just trawled through the good book (or fische in this case aka PR 1129).

The Z7W motor (2850cc) was used in certain Series 1 models. The B29A sold in Germany, Austria and Switzerland used the motor with K-Jet injection from 1986 to 5/87.

Then from 6/87 to the end of the Series 1 models it was used in the B29A & B29F models sold in Belgium, Germany, Austria and Switzerland, the B29F being the lead free version with Renix injection. There was also the B293 for the French and Belgium markets that used the same leadfree 2850cc motor.

The drag coefficient of 0.28 was claimed by Renault and was for the depleted spec 25TS you mentioned, with skinny tyres, a single driver side mirror and devoid of other air dragging items. I remember a fuss being made about it because it was not long after the Audi 100 claimed a drag coefficient of 0.30 (for the cheap model and 0.32 for the CD model).The AUS spec brochure for the 1985 25GTX claims a drag coefficient of 0.31.

Hi,
    here some pics of the streched Limousine, in quite a bad condition. This used to be a turbo model (180HP) and some idiot converted her to a station waggon

http://www.ulsc.de/vantastic.de/r25/index13.html (currently for sale)

The turbos were always equipped with the renix injection system. Early ones have 180 HP, later ones are catalysed (B29G) and have 205HP.

Daniel

my R25 -> http://63980.rapidforum.com/topic=110677387566

good thread!!in the uk i have a 25 v6 turbo(phase 2 89 model)182 bhp standard,NO uk spec turbo had cruise control,and every one was manual,auto was never an option and it was never made,all uk 25 turbos where 182 bhp,i have several brochures which show the limo,but i,ve never seen one,any 25 v6 turbo is a very rare car in the uk,with only a small amount surviving,i think you could only get a phase 1 limo,items include,k-jetronic injection,auto only,10.8 inches longer,individual lighters,unique rear seats,horizontal side roof lights,the executive pack included electric rear seats,armrest,compartment for luggage,limo badges,my turbo has the mega rear electric ergomatic front seats,these had several seperate swiches for inflating various parts of the seats,very rare option,i have black leather(mint condition)in mine,but also have a complete set in cloth for spare(mint again)the limo spec is for uk,i love my 25 turbo!!

sorry front seats,not rear!!

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel R25
    Hi,
    here some pics of the streched Limousine, in quite a bad condition. This used to be a turbo model (180HP) and some idiot converted her to a station waggon

http://www.ulsc.de/vantastic.de/r25/index13.html (currently for sale)
    OMG, what a piece of crap! Its scary what people do...
    2013 Grand Kangoo
    2011 Megane 3 RS
    1997 Spider (No. 652)
    1988 5 GT Turbo Phase II
    1968 10

Quote Originally Posted by Craig
    OMG, what a piece of crap! Its scary what people do...
    It looks like a pretty (pun intended) straight forward conversion, only the hatch has been modified. All you need is a replacement hatch to bring it back to original (in looks anyway).
    As for the rest of the car the story does not look good. It's sagging in the centre, judging by the cracks around the B pillar, roof and the door misalignment.
    And for the engine bay, "Oh mister Hart, what a mess!"
    So what's the go here? Is this dude planning to restore it?
    Cheers Renomad

"Today's mighty oak, is just yesterdays nut that held it's ground"

Current frogs, Dad's R19 & Dad's Scenic.

Past frogs, R12 Wagon X2, R12GL, Fuego X2, R10 X2, R8 X.5!

Quote Originally Posted by Renomad
    It looks like a pretty (pun intended) straight forward conversion, only the hatch has been modified. All you need is a replacement hatch to bring it back to original (in looks anyway).
    Unfortunately not that simple, there is a roof extension just forward of the hatch, so it's a big job.

Hi,
    i don't really think the car is sagging in the centre. (don't hope so, anyway). The roof had to be adapted to fit the boot part- and they used some kind of filler. And this is where the cracks appear now.

The stretch part of these cars is very rust-sensitive: It looks like Heulieuz did not care about rust prevention.

The history of the car is the following: In 1992 the boot was added. Then, after 1998 somebody ripped out the engine to fit it to a Renault Alpine. Uli bought what was left of the car and got a new engine and gearbox. Now he is running out of space, time and and my last information was that the engine and body were sold separately. I hope that this was not the end of the story.

Daniel

(I spend one year in rural Victoria in the early 90s- but my English is now a bit crap)

=farmerdave Can anyone confirm the Cd of 0.28?
    The R25 was refered to in an auto design book from my local library that also listed the Cd as 0.28, in the same year this was matched by the Porche 911.
    The R25 used was a low spec model that was on 175 tyres and without a passenger side mirror, just working within the law but not the spirit to me but worked well in the advertising no doubt
    Cheers- GavinS 25 GTX 1987 build 2165cc auto - TBR. Renault is properly pronounced "Rhen-oh."
    .......................................Nissan Skyline (daily driver)
    Seek the blindspot and unknown of The Johari Window.

Is this dude planning to restore it?
    Can it be restored?

Quote Originally Posted by Davide Perinet

Beh, ouf, et Renault , what were Renault making in 1976 in comparison to The CX Monsieur Nouvelle Zealande?

Farmerdave
    [/QUOTE]

You would have to say in 1976 the R30 would be a good place to start.

If we go forward you would find the R19 automatic from 1988 would be a much better all round performer than your average CX C-matic slug.

Not to mention the fact that such vehiclles are supported by the best Renault mechanics in all of Granville and sourced with parts from the world's biggest central Renault parts warehouse somewhere in France. What more could one ask?

Last edited by BogMaster; 18th October 2005 at 04:49 PM.
    Woo Hoo Honi ko'u 'elemu (Hawaiian)

Fellow Frogger!

Can it be restored?
    Only if theres no automatic gearbox...
    2013 Grand Kangoo
    2011 Megane 3 RS
    1997 Spider (No. 652)
    1988 5 GT Turbo Phase II
    1968 10

interesting history on the limo,shame it needs so much work,good to see some pics of it,hope it gets saved,but big job i think,and maybe a tad expensive??any other limos survive,roadworthy,saw the other pics on this thread,does anyone have any more pics of the v6 turbo limo??

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

You would have to say in 1976 the R30 would be a good place to start.

If we go forward you would find the R19 automatic from 1988 would be a much better all round performer than your average CX C-matic slug.

Not to mention the fact that such vehiclles are supported by the best Renault mechanics in all of Granville and sourced with parts from the world's biggest central Renault parts warehouse somewhere in France. What more could one ask?

[/QUOTE]

I guess the R25 and the CX Prestige were the last of the real *limo* type cars. The CX prestige was simply on a station wagon platform, and has the much needed extra roof height and space in the back seat.

I've never been inside a R25 limo though.

Hey Bogie .... Are you having a love affair with the R19 I've only ever driven manuals, so I dread to think how bad the slugomatics are. With the CX I'd think you'd be surprised, as much as it pains me to say it the automatics/C-matic would be the pick of them as a daily car. The clutches & gearboxs aren't great to use. The automatic has a surprising turn of speed and would effortlessly leave any locally sold R19 for dead. They are quite low geared though, so IMO rev to much on the highways.

Strange as it sounds the R25 IMO now looks very dated, yet the CX still looks new and fresh, particually the Series II models. You could almost pass a CX for a new car if it was in good enough condition. The GTi Turbo Prestiges are *VERY* saught after and command huge price premiums. Did they make the R25 Limo with the turbo'd motor ??

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information