R18 Turbo
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: R18 Turbo

Tadpole

Default R18 Turbo

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone knows how many R18 turbos ever came to Australia, if any?

The reason im asking, is due to a hair brained scheme I have in regards to turbo charging my R16 powered R10.

Has anyone else done this to the 807 motor before? The R18 is basically the same motor to the R16, so it should be possible.

Any help would be apreciated.

Advertisement

thanks.

AFAIK there is only one 18 Turbo in Australia. This was the evaluation model imported by Renault Australia just prior to them pulling out of the market. It was trawled around various motor shows and featured in a promo brochure. I'm, mot aware of any others in AUS, then again I never thought there were so many Renault 9's in AUS as there seem to be.......

Then there is the Renault 5 Turbo Rally car, a Bob Watson creation of a mid engined Renault 5 using a normal front engine Renault 5 bodyshell. However Bob Watson decided to fit a turbo charged 16 motor. I remember this car from the 1989 Renault Roundup in Vic, fishtailing along the VFL Park Mt Waverly access road, before the VFL people announced the event would be chucked out if things didn't chill out. It was amazing!

Then also there is the Renault Australia (SA) sponsored speedway car from Rowley Park in the 1970's that used a supercharged 16 motor. So all alternatives have been tried.

Hi John,
    Welcome firstly to our aussiefrogs community.

R18 turbos.
    I believe there was only ever one that made it to Australia officially. The car was silver and from what I remember it was an apraisal car. Lat know to be for sale in northern NSW a couple of years ago. I am not sure if the thread would be in the archives, but I remember someone posting a link to the ad which was form the Trading Post. Of course there could be more hiding out there that no-one knows about and I guess it would just mean asking the right person the right questions.
    There wil be others who have more to tell you i am sure.
    I can tell you that the Fuego turbo also used the 807 series engine for it's application. There is a couple of them in Australia and there is always one or two doing the rounds of the New Zealand auction sites.
    Good luck with it.
    Chris
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Quote Originally Posted by HONG KONG PUGGY
    I can tell you that the Fuego turbo also used the 807 series engine for it's application. There is a couple of them in Australia and there is always one or two doing the rounds of the New Zealand auction sites.
    Good luck with it.
    Chris
    Actually there is the ex-South Africa UK spec Fuego Turbo that was for sale at the Brisvegas FCD in July, if anybody knows the contact details. Also there is a nice Fuego Turbo occasionally seen in Adelaide, I think that car is the one seen in Victoria a few years ago, so there are at least two Fuego Turbo's around.

hey John, maybe you should direct some questions towards this AFer as they seem to have both turbo cars that Simon refers to in there colllection!

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/members/robbie_renault.html

Jensen
    2002 Monaco Blue Renaultsport Clio 172
    1975 R1317 Renault 17 Gordini

Quote Originally Posted by Jensen
    hey John, maybe you should direct some questions towards this AFer as they seem to have both turbo cars that Simon refers to in there colllection!

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/members/robbie_renault.html

Jensen
    Wow
    Robbie renaults could be their own little satellite renault club..or may-be start an Australian Renault Muesuem
    Well done 'robbie'. John, he'd be the man to chat too.

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Icon10

John
    Welcome to aussiefrogs. The R18 is a great little car. If there were some more of them around I would have one. I never see them advertised. I was told by a reliable Renault expert that they were poor quality and came from a bad era of Renault.
    I TOTALLY DISAGREE.
    I love the Renault 18. I think it is far better than the 12 and a very cute Renault. Shame about the Renault 11 and the fact that none of them came here. Very sad. If you can get a good R18 in reasonable condition grab it mate. Hope to hear more from you. A great site with loads of info is below.

http://ptikem.free.fr/indexgb.htm

Quote Originally Posted by danielsydney
    I was told by a reliable Renault expert that they were poor quality and came from a bad era of Renault.
    I TOTALLY DISAGREE.
    If that expert was David Collier, then believe him. The 18GTS's assembled in AUS were fairly poor quality. The Australian factory never really came to grips with assembling the 18 which involved a different style of assembly to the previous cars. As a result there were a lot of warranty problems, and at a time when Renault Australia were in financial trouble that eventually led to them closing down Australian production.

Icon14

Simon it was David actually and he said the same thing about the R21 and R25 too but I wasnt turned off by that. I have a real soft spot for the R14 and 18.
    Here is a great pic of an advert from France on the R11 turbo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails R18 Turbo-11_pub.jpe  

Quote Originally Posted by danielsydney
    Simon it was David actually and he said the same thing about the R21 and R25 too but I wasnt turned off by that.
    So why do you drive a nice reliable modern car? :-)

Daniel,
    I'd have to agree with SImon and David. The R18, I have read was to be a 'world' car for Renault. It was that very much. We had an R18 wagon for a while, good nippy car, similar weight and dynamics to an R12 then they have the 1600cc engine so go relativly well. Build quality let them down terribly imho. I think Reggie tried to match it with the competition and went down the cheap plastic road way too fast. If the R18's build quality was half as good as an old R12 or 16 it would have been top of the tree for sure. This is only an opinion though.

Chris

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

It was actually quite successful in terms of European sales. Just that in the export markets (such as US and Australia) the car was overpriced and underdone when new. Certainly the Fuego influenced Series 2 version with the modified suspension geometry and with a better range of engines was something that the Series 1 should always have been.

Tadpole

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your responses, I have sent off a pile of emails to 18turbo owners and am hoping for some responses. If you guys dig up anything else i'd love to hear about it.

I think the R18's are a little under apreciated in some ways. I drive an R18 station wagon here in Canberra to work and back everyday, as well as doing big miles with it on the weekends. Its showing 380,000 on the odometer and still runs very well. Its a very reliable car, particularly due to the fact that It's maintainance schedule is somewhat lacking....

As far as i know, its the original motor but the gearbox was changed to a Feugo 5 speed before we got it. The 5 speed makes it very economical which is handy at the moment with petrol prices the way they are.

I agree that the build quality on this particular model is pretty poor, that and the fact that they look like early holden gemini's. The tiny wheels can get pretty exciting in the wet to

All in all though, the 18 is a reliable run-about, but unfortunatley a fairly un-remarkable Renault. But then again, thats why we have the R10.

Thanks again,

John's Renault's

Its showing 380,000 on the odometer and still runs very well. Its a very reliable car, particularly due to the fact that It's maintainance schedule is somewhat lacking....

Great to hear its still going well with that many miles on it. I have a soft spot for the R18.

Fellow Frogger!

[

The reason im asking, is due to a hair brained scheme I have in regards to turbo charging my R16 powered R10.

Has anyone else done this to the 807 motor before? The R18 is basically the same motor to the R16, so it should be possible.

Damien Gardiner, who used to be very active on Aussie Frogs, built an 16 powered R10 race car that I think was turbo'd - you might check the archives of a couple of years ago. Damien has sold the car and gone in other directions but their were numerous references to the beast.
    Those people that say I know - generally don't.

Years ago, there was a chap here in Adelaide with a R17 Turbo.

Went reallly well, but blew head gaskets like you wouldn't believe. I don't think it was the best Turbo installation ;-)
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Boulton
    [

Or you could go the US spec Fuego Turbo, which is a 1.6

David.