Laguna engine transplant
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Laguna engine transplant

Hi.
    Would anyone know if a '96 V6 Laguna will accept a '99 facelifted 2.0 16V engine? Im not sure if they share common engine mounts. I'm considering having a transplant done in view of increasing cost and difficulty getting parts for an ageing V6.
    Here in Malaysia it's possible to import a front half of a used car, and regulations allow engine transplants. So, the whole engine block, gearbox, wiring and even dashboard will be transferred over.
    Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks.
    BTW, does anyone know how much a throttle potentiometer for a 3.0 V6 costs in Australia?

Advertisement

Hey voyager, sounds like a interesting project, I am sure there are some Laguna dudes here who can help....

my question was more about the Renault scene in Malaysia, have renault been selling cars in malaysia for a long time??....

I saw this website http://star-motoring.com/ and was wondering if you get allot of second-hand cars from singapore?

I'd say the motor should fit, although it would be a case of comparing the various mounts etc. Probably at worst the subframe would have to be swapped over.

Although then there are other potential component problems. The four cylinder car would have four stud wheel hubs compared to the five studs of the V6. So it may be easier to transfer the engine and gearbox, then check the compatibility of the driveshafts between the 4 cyl and V6. Perhaps the renault dealer will let you sit down with the parts catalogue before the conversion for you to check the detail differences between the various components.

I'd say it is possible, just one of those conversions that would take time and patience when it comes to interfacing the various wiring looms. Would it be cheaper to just buy a later model 4 cylinder Laguna?

Tadpole

Renault were selling in Malaysia back in the 70s then disappeared until the early 90s when the R19 was sold through the Volvo dealership.
    Then around '96 another dealer took over the franchise and started selling a small number of Lagunas, Meganes, Scenics, and Kangoos. Then about 2 years ago, the local Nissan dealer secured the rights to sell Renaults. They now assemble the Kangoo here, while the Scenic and Espace are imported. Unfortunately, the models available are limited and new prices are about 3-4 times what you pay in Aussie.
    I think there were only about 15 units of V6 Laguna sold here, hence the difficulty in getting parts. The facelifted and the Laguna 2 never made it here at all.
    I've been looking for a potentiometer for ages now, and I think my auto box might be showing signs of retiring soon. That plus higher fuel prices and a lower reg tax might make this project worthwhile in the long run. I guess Im not ready to part with my Laguna yet.
    The only 2nd hand cars we get from Singapore would be those that are chopped in half, waiting to be cannibalised for parts. It's a big business here.

Thread Information