Help! What do the numbers mean and Intro
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Help! What do the numbers mean and Intro

Hello from Dillsburg, PA USA I hope I can participate even though I'm not from your little island down under.

I'm new here and recently aquired a few unwanted vehicles (at least here in the USA). I have 3 Renault R8s and 3 Simca 1000s. Since I'm in the R8 forum I'll stick to these for now.

Can anyone tell me what the numbers on the identification plates (oval and diamound shaped) mean and possible tell me what my numbers on my race car tell me? I would really like to know the year of my R8 since I don't have any paperwork for it. If there is a place to look this up please point me in the right direction, thanks!

Advertisement

Oval Tag:
    R1132 (I've been told this means it's a regular R8 not a Gordini, but does it tell me engine size or what transmision I have?)
    205 280 (what do these numbers tell me???)

Diamond Tag:
    R1132 (same as above I assume)
    3457178 (what does this number tell me?)

Thanks and hope to lean and share as often as possible here.

Herb Mooney

Herb
    Welcome to the forum mate.

Nothin' small about this island Fella, it's bigger'n Texas.

And we have thousands of renault experts, one of whom wiil be along shortly, to answer your question.

Onya Herb.

ed ge

but I'd hazard a quess:

R1132 non gordini model no. & engine capacity

205 280 chassis number
    3457178 engine number or vice versa, check against papers or engine block.

quesses only here Herb.

Quote Originally Posted by mooneys
    Oval Tag:
    R1132 (I've been told this means it's a regular R8 not a Gordini, but does it tell me engine size or what transmision I have?)
    205 280 (what do these numbers tell me???)

Diamond Tag:
    R1132 (same as above I assume)
    3457178 (what does this number tell me?)
    R1132 means that the car is an R8 1100 or R8 Major as it was known in Europe. The number 205 280 on the oval plate is the consecutive build number for the car, and the number which Renault use as the reference foe identifying the vehicle. From that number, my thoughts are that it would be a 1966 model year car, but I'll check later when I've got the details in front of me.

The diamond plate is the plate that contains the chassis number of the car. this is another consecutive build number, but is not as significant as the oval plate number in determining the model year of the car.

Tadpole

Thanks! Great info and quick response.

So which number would be my "Vehicle Identification Number" which would go in the registration forms for the Government here, any idea? 205 280 or 3457178 or maybe both? I'm trying to make this car legal for the road paperwork wise.

I can't verify the engin number because the previous owner removed the ID plate. It's set up for racing so I am guessing the motor is not original and probably modified or maybe even a R10 motor. Is there an easy way to ID the engine from looking at it?

Here are some pictures:

Thanks

Herb

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    R1132 means that the car is an R8 1100 or R8 Major as it was known in Europe. The number 205 280 on the oval plate is the consecutive build number for the car, and the number which Renault use as the reference foe identifying the vehicle. From that number, my thoughts are that it would be a 1966 model year car, but I'll check later when I've got the details in front of me.

The diamond plate is the plate that contains the chassis number of the car. this is another consecutive build number, but is not as significant as the oval plate number in determining the model year of the car.
    Last edited by mooneys; 13th October 2005 at 12:26 AM.

Here are the oval plate number sequences:
    1964 MY. 1-72955
    1965 MY. 72956-205095
    1966 MY. 205095-231359.

So from the above it makes it a very early 1966 model year car, French model years generally start in September of the preceding year, lining up with the Paris Motor Show.

For rego purposes the number to use would be 3457178 or the diamond plate number, as the chassis number is the old equivalent of the VIN. Also the chassis number is the one stamped into the body on the floor, betwen the RHF door sill and the seat slider.

Tadpole

You folks are awesome!

within 24 hours I've got all the info I need initially from the "bigger then texas" little island down under

It's been a week and no one has been willing to help from the European or USA Renault websites

I was even told if I pay to join the Renault Owners Club Of North America I might get the help I needed identifing the car. I was a member but hadn't renewed my membership yet. I never knew they were so uptight and closed liped about helping other Renult owners. I don't think I'll be joining again
    I know where I'll be spending most of my time... AUSSIE FROGS

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    Here are the oval plate number sequences:
    1964 MY. 1-72955
    1965 MY. 72956-205095
    1966 MY. 205095-231359.

So from the above it makes it a very early 1966 model year car, French model years generally start in September of the preceding year, lining up with the Paris Motor Show.

For rego purposes the number to use would be 3457178 or the diamond plate number, as the chassis number is the old equivalent of the VIN. Also the chassis number is the one stamped into the body on the floor, betwen the RHF door sill and the seat slider.

Quote Originally Posted by mooneys
    It's been a week and no one has been willing to help from the European or USA Renault websites
    It's because you mentioned you have Simca's, so we feel sorry for you. If you hadn't mentioned that then you would have to pay! :-)

Nice looking little beasty in the pics though.

I forgot the details for the engine. Those are not on either the oval or diamond plates. On the motor there should be an aluminium plate riveted to the block above the oil filter. There will be a stamped code on there followed by the engine number.

These are possible engine codes fitted to your car.

689-XX (XX = an index number that helps further identify the motor) 956cc
    688-XX 1108cc motor
    804-XX 1108cc 8 Gordini block, never know, you may have the block but not the head!
    812-XX 1255cc 8 Gordini 1300 block
    810-XX 1289cc
    847-XX 1397cc

The gearbox is identified by a small aluminium disc under one of the bolt heads on the end casing. Usually though the disc goes missing so it can be difficult to fully identify the gearbox. Most of the type 330 grearboxes are fairly similar though, apart from differences in bellhousings, input shafts, gear selectors and 10 or 11mm diameter crown wheel bolts.

Tadpole

I have a habit of collecting these little unwanted cars and when I saw the 3 SIMCA 1000s sitting in the basement of an old Chrysler dealer with very lonely looks on their faces I had to take them all home (I told my wife they followed me home )

I also have a pair of NSUs, one Prince 1000C and one 1200C. Who knows what could be next. I have seen a few lonely Sunbeam/Hillman Imps and I have my eye on a Mini Cooper Pannel Van but the price is a bit over my budget right now.

Unfortunately the plate on the engine has been removed, probably because its a bigger engine then is allowed in the R8 for the class of racing the previous owner was running in. The fellow I bought the car from seems to think it's a R10 motor, but since they all look the same I guess I'll never know. It does seem like it's got more power then it should so I'm happy to know it's fast

Thanks again for all the info. I'll look for the disc on the gearbox later, maybe that will help ident the engine.

Herb

Welcome Herb,

I told you these guys were great. The R8 looks great in the picture & if you look close you just see the back of the Simca I've got dibs on. When did you pull the engine? Also did you see the Renault engine on ebay? I was wondering if it was an R5?, if so do you want to take a road trip to Ohio?

Scott

Well, well - a fellow NSU fan and Prinze owner. Welcome

Tadpole

Hey Scott,

I didn't know you were playing over here in Aussie Land, You may have mentioned it, but it slipped my mind. I think I found it in a search for R8 parts. I need a set of headlights and turn signals so I can get this car street lehal. I wish I had known about this site sooner, this group is the best bunch of folks I've run into so far online :-). Anyway, I didn't have the motor out, it was out when the Previous Owner had it. I'm getting it ready for a Parade this Saturday (get a chance to run it on the street with out tags) if the weather holds out and I hope to run it in the Hershey Autocross on the 23rd.

Herb

Quote Originally Posted by supo
    Welcome Herb,

I told you these guys were great. The R8 looks great in the picture & if you look close you just see the back of the Simca I've got dibs on. When did you pull the engine? Also did you see the Renault engine on ebay? I was wondering if it was an R5?, if so do you want to take a road trip to Ohio?

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by edgedweller
    Nothin' small about this island Fella, it's bigger'n Texas.
    Atually, it's slightly smaller than the US contiguous 48 states according to CIA factbook

In Australia: 05 206 GTi 180 and '97 406 v6
    In Lebanon: 09 C3 Exclusive

All in Silver

Previously '01 206 GTi

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Pug4eva
    Atually, it's slightly smaller than the US contiguous 48 states according to CIA factbook
    Size doesn't matter....right?????

I didn't mean to offend anyone on the "BIG" island down under. My "little island down under" comment was posted in jest, sorry. Besides, If I ever have to leave the USA I'm headed for "your island", love the Aussies!

Herb Mooney

Hey, no problem Herb, it was me that was takin' the piss outa you yankies.

ed ge

I was gonna start on Dillsburg next,but got distracted.

Thread Information