Automatic fluid changes...
  • Register
  • Help

Automatic fluid changes...

Does anyone on thid Renault forum know how often the AD4 transmission fluid should be changed and checked on the Renault 19? It is a sealed unit and has to be taken to a mechanic to check out..Also there is a trans fluid filter that needs changing aparently. How often should this be checked/changed?

Advertisement

Hi Daniel

If the AD4 auto is the same as the AR4 (R25 4 speed autos), then it is a nightmare and is best left to a mechanic, as you need a fair bit of equipment.
    Do you have a manual?

regards

Luke
    Cheers - Luke

1990 Renault 25 V6 Baccara - Gunmetal Grey
    1974 Renault 17TS (1317) - Silver

Luke im not sure if its the same as the renault 25. it is aparently a sealed unit and yowners cant change or top up fluid in it anyway so a manual is no point. May have to make a trip to colliers at Granville in sydney

Daniel, look in your owners manual, that will have details of service intervals.
    '05 Pearl Black Mťgane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Without being too provocative, it might be better to change the transmission.

That should produce some discussion!

JohnW
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

:p :p ill ignore that last message :p :p

Turn left onto Parramatta Rd; and head about 20 odd kilometers out to Colliers my friend.

Kevin.
    KB

danielsydney:
    :p :p ill ignore that last message :p :p
    Daniel,

Sorry - no offence meant. But quite a few 17s were changed to manual, and I thought it just might be an option at some stage. Much more reliable.

Cheers

JohnW
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

The AD4 is the same intenally as the AR4 in my R21 Marseille, and the fluid can and should be changed often to ensure longevity. Officially you need the Renault diagnostic computer to talk to computer on your trans to determine fluid level (an design that confirms my suspicion that the french like to annoy people for fun). There are ways around it, but its tricky and hence best left to someone with the computer.
    Auto Paris in Melbourne has one, and may be able to refer you to one in Sydney.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Looks like another trip out to colliers in sydney. I just find that concept of taking a car to be checked by a mechanic for something so simple that i used to check on my old R12 every day.Its stupid..... disappro

Tadpole
    if it was so simple we would not need the computer.... you need the computer to get the oil at the right temp... which it gets from a temp sensor built into the solenoid pack. you then have to drain off a certain amount if not enough you have to start again....
    aswell you should be using a full snythitic oil i use a esso one at the moment it work really well...
    its bad enough having to buy the computer to do it in the first place....
    regards paul

:p I understand paul. When my airfilter was changed and i put a k&n on the car i can actually see where the transmission gets filled up. its very interesting actually. Id love to know how my transmission works. Have no idea really how it works. Have had the solonoid replaced just after i bought the car. A cigarette lighter looking type thing. Goes ok now though, but the fluid maybe needs changing. I understand these Renault computers are very expensive about $AUD25000. An investment id hate to have to make... tongue

Thread Information