Dash Handbrake light
  • Register
  • Help

Dash Handbrake light

I dont seem to have much luck with my 19 lately My dash handbrake light is coming on intermittantly, flashing. The handbrake is functioning normally however.
    Where does a beginner start....?

Advertisement

I'm sure there has been discussion re: this before somewhere..

Check the handbrake sensor switch and the wire connecting to it.

Not sure how many dress panels you will have to remove to do this. Usually a flashing handbrake light is caused by the switch wire being earthed somehow. Haynes book may help you out with this.

It happened to me once when I accidentally pinched the wired under my Recaro seat mount in my R17TS.

I'd imagine the logic would still apply to the newer R19!
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Hi Danial,

it's not the pad wear light is it. If it is the light may be only flickering sometimes when you use the brakes (the handbrake light doesn't double as the pad wear warning light does it??)

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

1000+ Posts
    ...and the switch is somewhere around the handle, usually a plunger type, activated by movement of the handle, sort of like the interior light switches operated by the door. Remove the trim around the handle and check out the switch for security (ie. it's not loose) and the wire leading to it. It could even be the switch insides, but unlikely as they're not as highly stressed as, say, a brake light switch.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

No on my car the brake pad light is a separate light but it is also flashing on and off. I have to check the wires near the brake lines actually. That is a different issue. I might have a look on the weekend around the handle...

had the same problem on a 504 once - insulation on wire near pad had rubbed away and was intermittenly touching the suspension when vehicle was moving

Europa,
    Bugger the 19, tell me about your 17TS, and Freddie,
    Good to have you aboard, I'd reconise that 17 anywhere, did you have a good trip home on Sunday? I'm doing the article for the club mag, your mate with the 12. Is he in the club? Does he want to be?

David.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Hi Dave,
    Trip home was great - topped off an excellent day in fact - mate with the 12 is Ian Phillips - thought he was in the club - is secretary of Geelong Cruising club - will discuss RCCV with him if he isn't - he is also restoring a 17TL (silver) - getting ready for a paint job soon I believe - is aiming at all French day for that - does that mean he has 18 months to go?

If anyones interested i topped up my brake fluid reservoir with dot 4 penrite fluid and alss no more light flashing. My handbrake is fine and my bottle is full also. So if anyone has a similar issue check the fluid first it has wires that are connected and that triggers the light.

I think you'll find most posters on this BBS would have assumed you would have checked your fluid level first...
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Hey Daniel, I think someone, who surprisingly has the same name as you, proposed a similar diagnosis and solution some time ago, here it is...

"danielsydney
    Fellow Frogger!
    Member # 349
    Posted 15 September 2001 09:59PM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm not sure if I posted it to this website or renault19.com but I now have my dashboard 'brake light' staying off. It was flashing on intermittantly, even when the handbrake was released. I changed the brake pads about a week ago and replaced the fluid with some new 'penrite dot4 fluid'. All is now fine. If any other 19 owners have this problem Check the fluid first then the handbrake then the pads. My cars going now like a dream. This makes me very happy!!
    ------------------
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Posts: 93 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jul 2001"
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

1000+ Posts
    Daniel,

As the level is dropping and your light has come on twice in a year or so, next step is to make sure there's no leak, and the pads aren't down to the metal - the fluid level drops with wear on the pads. Yes, irrespective of having a pad warning light!

On average, autos use pads more quickly too. With the possible exception of the guys on this forum..

Cheers

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Yeh, I'm an exception, my 25 V6 Auto hasn't had any pad wear for the past year...

errr, possibly because it's been on axle stands for 90% of that time...

wink Europa i didnt know you had a Renault 25 Auto? What is it like? I love the look of the new Laguna. Way out off my budget however. Would love to win one, maybe. Beuatiful car though got a leaflet that folds out last night but the rain ruined it. Fantastic creation. Would dread any problems with it after the warranty ran out.. :p

Thread Information