R16 thermo fan cut in temp
  • Register
  • Help

Default R16 thermo fan cut in temp

Hi people, anyone know what engine temp the standard 1972 R16 thermo fan is mean't to cut in at? My car has an aftermarket VDO temp gauge that seems correct but thermo fan doesn't kick in until 100 degrees cel so I would like to know if this is correct!

Any ideas?

Ed.

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Ed B
    Hi people, anyone know what engine temp the standard 1972 R16 thermo fan is mean't to cut in at? My car has an aftermarket VDO temp gauge that seems correct but thermo fan doesn't kick in until 100 degrees cel so I would like to know if this is correct!

Any ideas?

Ed.
    From memory that's about right, don't have a workshop manual in front of me but from memory they cut in about 100 and out about 92. I have lower ones in stock, about 10 degrees lower if your interested.

David.

1000+ Posts

Default Haynes test

Quote Originally Posted by David Cavanagh
    From memory that's about right, don't have a workshop manual in front of me but from memory they cut in about 100 and out about 92. I have lower ones in stock, about 10 degrees lower if your interested.

David.

According to the Haynes Manual page 58 item 12

In situe test Connect a test bulb to one side of the terminal circuit of the thermostat in the radiator - cold it should not light up, (circuit diagram shown in manual)

Start engine and blank off radiator to ensure quick warming up. Hold thermometer in contact with radiator and when radiator reaches 92 degrees Celcius (197.6 F) the bulb should light up (allow a margin of 5 degrees celcius either side)

Switch off engine and allow temp of radiator to drop to 82 degrees Celcius (179 degrees F) when the light should go out - Differential between lamp on or off should be 6-20 degrees celcius (42.8 -68 degrees Celcius)

Hope that helps
    Last edited by Kenfuego; 5th October 2005 at 10:53 PM. Reason: clarity

Quote Originally Posted by Ed B

Any ideas?

Ed.
    hi Ed
    my thermo switch has a mind of its own, so as a stop gap measure, I've bridged the circuit so the fan runs all the time .... gauge never goes higher than a quarter (use to sit on three quarters before) ... end of stress ....
    cheers frank

Fellow Frogger!

Default R16 Thermo Fan

I have just acquired another R16 but a TL (auto would you believe) and unlike the TS I had, it only has the idiot light that glows red when you are too hot. I have yet to drive on the road as I have to get a few things sorted for defect clearance but have run the motor to operating temperature and the fan cuts in and out at what seems an appropriately warm time.
    QUESTION:
    Can I run a temperature gauge directly off the sender unit located in the head to either a TS (or similar gauge) or even an after market gauge? Or would I need a different type of sender and wiring to properly run a temperature gauge? Repco currently have a temp gauge on special for $30 and sender units varying from $10 to $45, depending upon what fits.
    By the way the radiator switch in my TS never worked so I just fitted a switch and tell tale light on the dash to work the fan when necessary, which only seemed to occur when stuck in traffic on hot days. Even then the temperature dropped rapidly with the fan turned on. I would have thought that running the fan constantly would not allow the engine to reach and maintain an optimum operating temperature.
    Any advice appreciated.
    Cheers
    Phil H

Quote Originally Posted by philipjh
    I would have thought that running the fan constantly would not allow the engine to reach and maintain an optimum operating temperature.
    The thermostat will keep the coolant at the right temperature, but the fan will eventually fail as they really aren't designed to run constantly (plus there is the issue of current draw - the alternator is going to be loaded as well)

Excellent temporary fix though. I prefer a manual override switch to bring the fan(s) in manually should there be a switch failure. Cheap insurance against a cooked motor IMO. All you need to do is wire up a toggle switch in parallel with the radiator switch.
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Quote Originally Posted by Trackyellow
    hi Ed
    my thermo switch has a mind of its own, so as a stop gap measure, I've bridged the circuit so the fan runs all the time .... gauge never goes higher than a quarter (use to sit on three quarters before) ... end of stress ....
    cheers frank
    If the switch doesn't cut in till 100 degrees and does so every time without fail , the problem is the switch - get a new one...cheaper than a new fan. I'd also check the thermostat to make sure it is opening at the right temp and that it isn't blocked.

If you want greater control over the cut in temp you could look at using a Davies Craig fitting kit with adjustable thermostat (around$70) on your existing fan...if you go that way you won't need a new switch as the kit includes its own (not mounted on the radiator).

If the problem is intermittent it could be as simple as a worn or corroded connector. This is a pretty simple fix.

Of course the problem could be your aftermarket temp gauge/sender

Last edited by BogMaster; 6th October 2005 at 06:09 PM.
    Woo Hoo Honi ko'u 'elemu (Hawaiian)

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by philipjh
    QUESTION:
    Can I run a temperature gauge directly off the sender unit located in the head to either a TS (or similar gauge) or even an after market gauge? Or would I need a different type of sender and wiring to properly run a temperature gauge?
    The temperature sender on a TL is a simple on/off switch so you have to change it to a TS sender

Fellow Frogger!

Default R16 Thermo Fan

Quote Originally Posted by r16_magnus
    The temperature sender on a TL is a simple on/off switch so you have to change it to a TS sender
    Thanks for the response Magnus. I thought that was probably the answer.
    Anybody out there with a Sender and Temperature Gauge they want to part with (working of course) or else I will have to go the aftermarket route?
    Cheers
    Philip

By the way, Magnus, well done on setting up the R16 forum, I am sure it will be a great asset to all R16 entusiasts.

I have a new VDO Capiliary Style temp guage in my BMW and have found it reads 5-7 degrees higher than the actual temp, going by the sender unit to the Motec, and using an Infrared laser temp device as well. I always thought these type of guages to be accurate. Live and learn.

I think the std 16 cut in is 92 deg, a Pug diesel one comes in lower, maybe 87, don't remember.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

Thread Information