Scenic RX4 fuel cover
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Scenic RX4 fuel cover

Hello All. 1st time Renault driver, long time admirer...

I picked up a 2001 Scenic Rx4 on the weekend, love it heaps...

I went to put some fuel in and the fuel cap cover snapped off in my hands.

Anyone had this happen to them too? Any good wreckers in Melb to pick up bits and pieces like this...

Good to see a healthy forum community with French cars.

Cheers FuZZy

Advertisement

No idea on the RX4, my parents 1996 Laguna V6 fuel door (plastic) has evidence of araldite on the hinges (they bought it secondhand like that) - so far it hasn't broken (after 6 years). Might be a cheap fix for you!
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Tadpole

I brought a new one. $107... I love french plastic, it's so expensive..

The door movement is not a straight circular hinge, I can now see why I broke it....

Plastic fuel covers not such a hot idea for something that is opened so often. The 406 one feels very flimsy and I am always ultra gentle with it
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Yeah mine broke off too at about 12 months and was replaced under warranty. I notice they put vasaline on the hinges everytime it gets serviced so I'd recommend doing that.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzyt
    Hello All. 1st time Renault driver, long time admirer...

I picked up a 2001 Scenic Rx4 on the weekend, love it heaps...

I went to put some fuel in and the fuel cap cover snapped off in my hands.

Anyone had this happen to them too? Any good wreckers in Melb to pick up bits and pieces like this...

Good to see a healthy forum community with French cars.

Cheers FuZZy
    Hi FuZZy

Had the same whilst in warranty in 2003 and dealer refused to replace it (perhaps something of a reflection of their current ‘situation’).

Welcome to the world of after thought engineering, the RX4 is after all a beefed up Scenic and a limited variant of what is a very well sorted car.( nicely done as a 'soft roader over all though) But the idiot engineer that put the pen to this hinge must have missed lesson 101 in fulcrum force dynamics. Take a look at the ( lack ) of cross section on the piece on the door that breaks. It’s less than 2mm thick by 17mm long. ( for comparison the end of a Secure Digital memory card has a way thicker cross section). How on earth did Renault expected it to last ? there is a huge load on this when the hinge binds on the spring clip. The cynics amongst us would think that this was blatant revenue raising.

Agree that the pricing is absolutely ludicrous at $107 for a Piece Of S#!^’ plastic petrol flap. When some jack ass smashed the right rear tail light in my driveway o’night ( in an effort to steal the car ?? WTF ). That only cost me $87 odd bucks. Now that complex light assembly came complete with all the coloured bulbs, as Rove McManus says ‘What The!!’ Someone please explain that pricing structure to me – please!

Get used to breaking it as it will happen again if you don't keep grease up to it. Word of advice is not to push it forward towards the front of the car as you open it. Pull the finger recess rearward with thumb/forefinger as you open it - GENTLY. Poor design will see the spring steel clip put excess force on what is a very thin plastic hinge if pushed towards the front of the car.

Don't throw your old one away - take it to a shop that can 'weld plastic' back together, don’t bother wasting your time trying to glue this kind of plastic. The guy that did mine 'beefed’ up the hinge joint, now it’s the spare ( cost me $15 bucks ). He also took a look at the new one installed on the car and shook his head in disgust ( I can’t repat the profanities , suffice to say he doesn’t have a high opinion of the flimsy design – or the engineer that created it )

Otherwise missus loves her RX4 – now all I have to do is figure out how to stop the handle on the rear door cracking its housing in the tailgate - that sucker is just one huge plastic door without a joint around the handle, What The!!

Yours aye

Sandgroper
    93' 205GTi
    'don't force it son - use a bigger hammer'

1000+ Posts

Fuzzy T, did you previously go by the name Mr T?

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Thread Information