Just a few questions about 17's.
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Just a few questions about 17's.

Well, don't know if any of you remember my previous thread, but I have a 1977 Renault 17ts that has been sitting in a garage since 1992 (still has the rego sticker too!) that I want to get up and running again, as a present for the owner who is overseas at the moment. I belive that it is the only one of it's kind in Australia, so parts aren't going to be cheap. Pretty much all I want to know at the moment, is what size tyres to run (It has 13x195's on it at the moment, but I couldn't get the profile) and where to get them in Canberra? (I'd prefer Michelin...)

Thnaks,

Matt.

Advertisement

What size rims are on the car? If they are the original R1318 rim, they should be 4.5”x13, in which case 195 section tyres would be too wide. My suggestion would be 175/70 on the 4.5” rim.

If it has 5.5” rims, 185/65x13 tyres would likely be the optimum size given no power steering etc.

The only parts that are unlikely to be cheap/easily obtainable will be the unique Mk 2 body/trim parts, the rest of the parts are likely normal Renault parts bin stuff, so shouldn’t be too hard or expensive to to obtain.

The mark 2 version was a cheap version and used a lot of parts off other models, For example the steering wheel and instruments are series 1 R20 (I think) so parts may not be as hard as you think, just identifying them could be the problem.

David.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    If it has 5.5” rims, 185/65x13 tyres would likely be the optimum size given no power steering etc.
    Hmm, I'm pretty sure they are still the stock rims, the wheels are covered in dust, so I must have misread the width...but I was just having a read of the owners manual, it appears that this one -was- equipped with power steering? Or was it a foresight that never made it into the car?

Just found the pics you posted in this thread. Restoration - 17ts

It shows that it has the stock 17TS R1318 4.5" rims, also looks like it would be one of the original Michelin ZX's on that rim too, probably 155x13.

As for power steering, it was only available as an option on the LHD R1318's, so yours would still be manual steer.

Fellow Frogger!

Just found the pics you posted in this thread. Restoration - 17ts

It shows that it has the stock 17TS R1318 4.5" rims, also looks like it would be one of the original Michelin ZX's on that rim too, probably 155x13.

As for power steering, it was only available as an option on the LHD R1318's, so yours would still be manual steer.
    Yep they're Michelin ZX's. I guess i'm right in assuming that there is no way i'd be able to track down another set of them?

AFAIK, whilst the ZX is available in the Michelin Classic range, I think it is only available in the weirdo sizes of 135x15, 145x15 and 165x15. Also as the style is now more than 25 years old, being superseded by the XZX in 1979ish, any old stock in 155x13 size will likely be very old and not really suited for use. Best to choose something from the range of current readily available tyres, and as it won’t be from the Michelin Classic range it will likely be a lot cheaper too!

Quote Originally Posted by Selekta
    Yep they're Michelin ZX's. I guess i'm right in assuming that there is no way i'd be able to track down another set of them?
    Finding 155x13 may be difficult. You are probably better off taking Simon's initial advice on tyre sizes.

If yu just must have a 155x13 tyre please note that K Mart is currently flogging Czech Barum 155x13 textile radials for around $40. Barums aren't a bad tyre, I have used them on 20's and 12's without any problems. Before you choke on your cornflakes at that prospect I'd have to say that you wouldn't have to go far to find a better tyre than the Michelin ZX....in this case just as far as K Mart.

Last edited by BogMaster; 6th October 2005 at 05:55 PM.
    Woo Hoo Honi ko'u 'elemu (Hawaiian)

Quote Originally Posted by BogMaster
    If yu just must have a 155x13 tyre please note that K Mart is currently flogging Czech Barum 155x13 textile radials for around $40. Barums aren't a bad tyre,
    I think a nice 17TS is deserving of a better set of tyres, rather than a set of $40 Barum's. :-)

I think a nice 17TS is deserving of a better set of tyres, rather than a set of $40 Barum's. :-)
    Agreed Simon, they were also deserving of something better than the zx's in the first place.

The sensible thing would be to go with the more modern profiles and find a good quality tyre that will suit the vehicle...which is basically what you suggested in the first place.

On the cheapskate, east european quality at a bargain price, front 175/70 x 13 Barum "Brilliantis" Steel radials are $66 fitted and balanced at K-Mart. They really aren't a bad tyre I just bought another set yesterday. I used Barums on the last 16 I owned, the 20 that succeeded it and the now defunct 12 wagon I drove until recently.

Last edited by BogMaster; 6th October 2005 at 07:11 PM.
    Woo Hoo Honi ko'u 'elemu (Hawaiian)

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks all, I'm going to take Simon's inital advice though, 175/70/R13 Michelins, $94 each

Now I have the problem of getting the new tyres on...I guess i'll have to use axle stands or something...would be alot easier if 17's came in Ford's '63 - '98 5 Stud pattern and offset!

If anyone knows of a 17 or 15 for sale I'd happily replace a fuego with one.
    Powered by high grade French plutonium.

Quote Originally Posted by Selekta
    Now I have the problem of getting the new tyres on...I guess i'll have to use axle stands or something...would be alot easier if 17's came in Ford's '63 - '98 5 Stud pattern and offset!
    Take the wheels off the car (if it is not registered) to the place where you are buying the tyres from? Or am I missing something?? Don't try and stuff around fitting the tyres to the rims yourself, unless of course you have modern tyre fitting equipment in your garage.....

At least the wheels have holes in the centres, it will be easier for them to be balanced. There shouldn't be any groans from the tyre place when you say they are from a Renault :-)

Quote Originally Posted by vivid
    If anyone knows of a 17 or 15 for sale I'd happily replace a fuego with one.
    Yes Dave and you know him too. Andrew at French Connection who you bought the 16 off has a very nice 17TS (Gordini) that he doesn't use often enough to justify the rego, its very clean, very original and he's just finished rebuilding the motor and the gearbox was recoed last year. He doesn't want to sell it as its such a great car but if the right person came along who could put it to better use he might be interested.

David.

Fellow Frogger!

Take the wheels off the car (if it is not registered) to the place where you are buying the tyres from? Or am I missing something?? Don't try and stuff around fitting the tyres to the rims yourself, unless of course you have modern tyre fitting equipment in your garage.....

At least the wheels have holes in the centres, it will be easier for them to be balanced. There shouldn't be any groans from the tyre place when you say they are from a Renault :-)

Hehe, I'm just having an indirect whine that I need to buy some wheel stands

Quote Originally Posted by David Cavanagh
    Yes Dave and you know him too. Andrew at French Connection who you bought the 16 off has a very nice 17TS (Gordini) that he doesn't use often enough to justify the rego, its very clean, very original and he's just finished rebuilding the motor and the gearbox was recoed last year. He doesn't want to sell it as its such a great car but if the right person came along who could put it to better use he might be interested.

David.
    I saw that car at his place when i picked up the 16.
    Good looking car!

I'd better start saving the pennies, the $20 I sell the Fuego won't go far.

I should now be spending my money on giving my 16 longer legs with that TX.

David.