Indicators not working
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Indicators not working

Hey guys,

the flashers/indicators on the 17 have stopped working- i have checked obvious things like bulbs and fuses but no luck- is it common for the flasher unit to just 'give up'. THe car passed it's MOT/WOF then they just stopped working- any thoughts?

Advertisement

the light flasher on the dash has always been variable too....

Cheers Ben

Yes they can just fail - and you can adapt them easily enough to the "off-the-shelf" flasher units available from Kmart and other quality establishments :-)

This may have already been done.

Of course, the problem could also be in the switch itself etc. etc.

Time to get out the multimeter and see where the volts are going!
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Fellow Frogger!
    Hmmm,
    electrics have never been my strong suit I must admit. Perhaps a few basics might help me get a head start? What is the best 'level' to set the mulitmeter to? is it Ohms?, as you are measuring the resistance?

If so what sort of values should it be throwing at you for something like this. Obviously between the power and earth wires to and from it'd be markedly different- wouldn't it?

If I had a rough idea as to the right settings, and what typical values meant- i.e 40 ohms means too much resistance for power to move down a wire etc etc. Any time I've had help with it my mates just do it and don't show me, and most text books I have read launch into it too quickly/with too much depth. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers Ben

1000+ Posts
    Ben,

Ohms/resistance is good for checking continuity (ie. checking that the connection from point a to b is continuous) and to check an earth. Basically, 0 ohms means no resistance (ie. full conductivity) and infinity ohms means no conductivity. Depending on your meter, infinity could be shown as an error or a negative - mine shows -0.01. Note that in reality you won't get 0 ohms for a good earth, but something close like 0.05.

Volts (the 20 volt scale) is the one you use to test whether 'power' is being received by a connection. The red probe goes on the wire, and the black on a convenient earth like a screw into the bodywork etc. - try a few earths if you get no reading. Generally you should get around 11-14 volts, depending on battery state and whether the engine is running. Note that if you reverse the wires, it's no problem as you'll just get a negative reading.

Cheers

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Just replace the flasher unit. Any number of cheap aftermarket replacements are available. I bought one at K Mart.....If that doesn't work check the earths and then drown your troubles in Nulon...or Steinlager

[quote]Originally posted by Stuey:
    <strong>Ben,

Ohms/resistance is good for checking continuity (ie. checking that the connection from point a to b is continuous) and to check an earth. Basically, 0 ohms means no resistance (ie. full conductivity) and infinity ohms means no conductivity. Depending on your meter, infinity could be shown as an error or a negative - mine shows -0.01. Note that in reality you won't get 0 ohms for a good earth, but something close like 0.05.

Volts (the 20 volt scale) is the one you use to test whether 'power' is being received by a connection. The red probe goes on the wire, and the black on a convenient earth like a screw into the bodywork etc. - try a few earths if you get no reading. Generally you should get around 11-14 volts, depending on battery state and whether the engine is running. Note that if you reverse the wires, it's no problem as you'll just get a negative reading.

Cheers

Stuey</strong><hr></blockquote>
    Woo Hoo Honi ko'u 'elemu (Hawaiian)

Fellow Frogger!
    Hey,

I checked- there was no power getting to the flasher unit (hence was getting very frustrated with the multimeter!).

So I got in and cleaned some contacts/wiggled som wires and whaddayaknow- it started working again- I guess it must have been the steinie I had in my hand........

Ben

Thread Information