Dauphine 6v Votage Regulators
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Dauphine 6v Votage Regulators

I am loking for a 6v votage regulator to suit my Dauphine G . Does any one have a spare they can part with? Or any ideas as to what else may work ie volkswagen regulators or even early Holdens? Cheers

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by glenough
    I am loking for a 6v votage regulator to suit my Dauphine G . Does any one have a spare they can part with? Or any ideas as to what else may work ie volkswagen regulators or even early Holdens? Cheers
    Sort of ripped from my other reply with additions for Holden stuff.

Has it been ascertained if it is the regulator at fault?

The Ducellier 8212A generator is the tropic spec version. The 8212A regulator is the tropic spec regulator with a part number of 8545981. This is listed as supply until stocks exhausted, with the supersession Ducellier part being 8546732. This cross references with and is identical to the R4 Ducellier regulator. Of which I've got a spare if you need one, condition unknown, but probably worth a go if you want.

I've just checked the details of a VW 6V regulator, the generator of a 1960's VW is nominally 180-200W, max 300W. This compares to the Dauphine G of 200W max power. So a VW 6V regulator may also be suitable, probably consult with an auto leccy first though.

The Holden FX/FJ Bosch generator is rated at 130 watts, 30 amps.

It is nescessary to use a regulator rated to the output of the generator. A regulator for a higher output generator will lead to overcharging, whilst one from a lower output generator (say the Holden one) will produce insufficient current.

These keep popping up on ebay too. Check "Renault 4CV" and "Renault 4 CV".

I had a non-brand "Multiset" regulator fitted about 35 years ago to mine - it has cutout, voltage and current regulation with three terminals. Has always worked perfectly, touch wood!!

JohnW

Fellow Frogger!

The parameters of a regulator i.e. current and voltage can be adjusted. It is regulating what comes off the generator. the windings on the regulator need to be fat enough to handle the current so a non standard regulator needs to be physically near the same size as the "original".

Fellow Frogger!

I have had a look thru my parts and only have one wich i need as a spare for my Dauphine. If neccessary you could borrow it to get going again. It is second hand out of a wreck so do not know how good it is.

Also Simon do you know what this part is Jaeger 8 537 527 it is NOS in box indicator arm for a Renault and appears to be older than Dauphine style?

Thanks
    Graelin

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks once again for your advice. I have sent a pm to Simon and Gralin, hopefully I'll get the car to the French Car Day next Sunday.

Cheers

Tadpole

Default regulator

Hi there,
    I think I have a 6V regulator in the shed. I converted my 4CV (which is now a Gordini) to 12V and still have it. I also think I kept the generator athough the bronze bushes need replacing. Be interested in a 6V horn?
    Colin

Fellow Frogger!

Why don't you 6V people convert to 12V? A 12v generator to fit can't be hard to find, a 12V coil no problem, and there is no need to change the starter motor, wiper motors really fly on 12V and a set of bulbs. but originality may be important.

Default 6V voltage regulators

I have a couple of R4 6 volt regulators. If you can find out if they fit, I can have an auto electrician check for a good one and send it to you. Reply on [email protected]
    Happy Sixteening ... John E

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman
    ... and there is no need to change the starter motor, wiper motors really fly on 12V and a set of bulbs. but originality may be important.
    Surely the start motor and wiper motor will eventually burn out with twice the voltage?!
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Thread Information