Dauphine G Licensed
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Dauphine G Licensed

Well after a great deal of help from many here ( thanks to you all )I have finally managed to get my Dauphine G licensed hopefully in tme for the French Car Day next week.However there is a sequel......... on my way home from the sucessful roadworthy examination she died!!!!!!!! Just coughed several times and died with no battery charge to start her again????? Well I now find the voltage regulator has given up the ghost. My manuel tells me I need to match the regulator with the generator. I have a Ducellier 7188G generator which I understand needs to be matched to a Ducellier8212A regulator. Now what chance of me finding one of them ever let alone in a hurry. Can any one advise me if the regulators are in fact interchangable ??? or apart from converting to 12 v there is any thing more I can do? Will a volks wagen regulator work? Can I get the stuffed regulator repaired it is a Lucas??? I ma buggered if I know cheers

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by glenough
    Well after a great deal of help from many here ( thanks to you all )I have finally managed to get my Dauphine G licensed hopefully in tme for the French Car Day next week.However there is a sequel......... on my way home from the sucessful roadworthy examination she died!!!!!!!! Just coughed several times and died with no battery charge to start her again????? Well I now find the voltage regulator has given up the ghost. My manuel tells me I need to match the regulator with the generator. I have a Ducellier 7188G generator which I understand needs to be matched to a Ducellier8212A regulator. Now what chance of me finding one of them ever let alone in a hurry. Can any one advise me if the regulators are in fact interchangable ??? or apart from converting to 12 v there is any thing more I can do? Will a volks wagen regulator work? Can I get the stuffed regulator repaired it is a Lucas??? I ma buggered if I know cheers
    Regulators are really generic in that just as long as the regulator is for a similar sized generator no problems will arise. Iguess on some really early charging systems (1920s) different approaches were used but from the mid 30's not much changed in generator regulation.

Quote Originally Posted by glenough
    I have a Ducellier 7188G generator which I understand needs to be matched to a Ducellier8212A regulator. Now what chance of me finding one of them ever let alone in a hurry. Can any one advise me if the regulators are in fact interchangable ???
    Has it been ascertained if it is the regulator at fault?

This is a good case of where providing the full details helps. The Ducellier 8212A generator is the tropic spec version. The 8212A regulator is the tropic spec regulator with a part number of 8545981. This is listed as supply until stocks exhausted, with the supersession Ducellier part being 8546732. This cross references with and is identical to the R4 Ducellier regulator. Of which I've got a spare if you need one, condition unknown, but probably worth a go if you want.

I've just checked the details of a VW 6V regulator, the generator of a 1960's VW is nominally 180-200W, max 300W. This compares to the Dauphine G of 200W max power. So a VW 6V regulator may also be suitable, probably consult with an auto leccy first though.

Thread Information