Renault 5 GT Turbo, LHD, $10K, Adelaide
  • Register
  • Help

Default Renault 5 GT Turbo, LHD, $10K, Adelaide

Renault R5GT turbo 5 speed, left hand drive, low kms, road version of rally car, $10000 C4050334J Graham Henshall Cars, LVD145091 LONSDALE 08-8384 1015

Oh, and before people ask, it isn't a mid engined 5 Turbo or Turbo 2.........

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    Renault R5GT turbo 5 speed, left hand drive, low kms, road version of rally car, $10000 C4050334J Graham Henshall Cars, LVD145091 LONSDALE 08-8384 1015

Is it old enough that it can be legally driven on the road (well in NSW anyway)

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

The most important bit would be to ensure you can register it in the country. It may well have been imported as a 'wreck' or 'parts car', possibly it may never be allowed to be registered out here.

Anyone have an old Renault 5 wreck in there backyard that doesn't need it's ID numbers anymore

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by Simon

How come you havent already bought it Simon?
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

Quote Originally Posted by gti138
    How come you havent already bought it Simon?
    Three letters, L.H.D. :-)

Also Id prefer to remember a certain January day in 1988 when I was allowed to experience the AUS evaluation 5GT Turbo. Absolutely Amazing. It would be a shame to spoil the memories. Also Id like my next car to have airconditioning, I just have to wait for the old 12 to peg out first before I can really say I need another car.

Also the other thing, price. Normally I hate commenting on older car values, but Ive now broken my rule twice in two days :-). The price at $10K seems on the optimistic side. Ive not heard of any of the factory RHD 5GTTs in AUS that have sold at or above $10K. And those values are unlikely to have escalated to an extent where a LHD car at $10K is good value, especially when RS Clios are not a lot more in comparison, on a features, performance and desirability basis.

Value, in the case of special interest vehicles, is a special value more set by the desirability of the car to the individual purchaser. Someone on AFs may think that it is worth $10K. Certainly the price of this car is now a lot lower than the $20K asking I had heard a couple of weeks ago when it was advertised as expressions of interest wanted.

As Shane has pointed out though, you really would have to verify the documentation the car was imported on. Whether it was as parts, for competition (in which case leaving it as LHD may be OK), or if it can be converted for road use. Certainly its use even as a competition car may also be limited, its eligibility in the competitive classes of the various targa type rallies would have to be ascertained. At less than 30 years old it is also ineligible for any type of concessional LHD registration in SA.

Tadpole

Any pictures of the vehicle?

1967 1135 R8 Gordini
    2012 BMW One Series M Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Pommy
    Any pictures of the vehicle?
    I have a question for all those R5GT turbo fans, is this not a late model GT and thus the better car of the series.... I remember these just storming down the autobahn's in germany, I would be sitting on 160kmph in our 1.2 R5 and these would just blaze past us.

I remember the Renault 5 GT Turbo Raider at the 1990 munich motorshow.... this looks very close to one of those.....this has the rear spoiler so at least it is a late model ... fixing the fuel vapour problems the early ones had...

1989 Renault R5 GT Turbo Hatch.The road version of the rally car.It has a homologation fuel tank system.This car is left hand drive and can be registered in Western Australia,Northern Territory and Tasmania with out having to convert.In the other states it has to be converted to right hand drive.I have sourced all the necessary parts for conversion from New Zealand and if the winning bidder has, or wants to do the conversion they can follow through with getting the parts.This is a rare car with low kms and is in excellent condition.The R 5 was introduced in 1972 and the first Turbo version in 1978.These were known as the Turbo 1 with a 160bhp 214kw mid mounted engine,winning the Monte Carlo Rally in 1981.Four hundred were built to comply with Group 4 homologation.This was followed by the Turbo 2 from 1982 to 1986,also mid engine.Introduced in 1985 was the GT Turbo with FWD and more subtle body design.These were known as phase 1 weighing 860kg with 115bhp 154kw and an air cooled Garret T2 turbo.1988 saw the phase 2 with 120bhp 160kw,water cooling for the turbo, body and chassis changes.This car is a 1989 model. There is an S styled scratch on the bonnet and minor scrape on the right rear bumper,Please phone 08 8384 1015 or 0418 842 088 if you have any questions.2004 Sports Car International listed R5Turbo No 9 as top sports cars of the 80s.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Covert
    I have a question for all those R5GT turbo fans, is this not a late model GT and thus the better car of the series.... I remember these just storming down the autobahn's in germany, I would be sitting on 160kmph in our 1.2 R5 and these would just blaze past us.

I remember the Renault 5 GT Turbo Raider at the 1990 munich motorshow.... this looks very close to one of those.....this has the rear spoiler so at least it is a late model ... fixing the fuel vapour problems the early ones had...

1989 Renault R5 GT Turbo Hatch.The road version of the rally car.It has a homologation fuel tank system.This car is left hand drive and can be registered in Western Australia,Northern Territory and Tasmania with out having to convert.In the other states it has to be converted to right hand drive.I have sourced all the necessary parts for conversion from New Zealand and if the winning bidder has, or wants to do the conversion they can follow through with getting the parts.This is a rare car with low kms and is in excellent condition.The R 5 was introduced in 1972 and the first Turbo version in 1978.These were known as the Turbo 1 with a 160bhp 214kw mid mounted engine,winning the Monte Carlo Rally in 1981.Four hundred were built to comply with Group 4 homologation.This was followed by the Turbo 2 from 1982 to 1986,also mid engine.Introduced in 1985 was the GT Turbo with FWD and more subtle body design.These were known as phase 1 weighing 860kg with 115bhp 154kw and an air cooled Garret T2 turbo.1988 saw the phase 2 with 120bhp 160kw,water cooling for the turbo, body and chassis changes.This car is a 1989 model. There is an S styled scratch on the bonnet and minor scrape on the right rear bumper,Please phone 08 8384 1015 or 0418 842 088 if you have any questions.2004 Sports Car International listed R5Turbo No 9 as top sports cars of the 80s.
    Yes, its a late model, I think the last one was late 90 or early 91. Its been modified under the bonnet, with various cooling pipes being different, and hence possibly a turbo modification, and of course the strut brace. Plus it has the extra boost dial and ugly piping to match. It also has white dials which is not factory, plus the metal pedals. Unsure what the ugly black things are on the rear plate lights.

Still has the LHD battery of course. All Phase II, and IIRC Phase I of the Super 5 GTT have the rear spoiler. Its not a raider, its not the right colour and it has silver wheels. All Phase IIs have the extra cooling system for the fuel pipes and carby. They all have the homologation fuel tank.
    2013 Grand Kangoo
    2011 Megane 3 RS
    2001 Clio Sport 172 (23/85)
    1997 Spider (No. 652)
    1988 5 GT Turbo Phase II
    1968 10

Thread Information