DIY fuego timing adjuster
  • Register
  • Help

Default DIY fuego timing adjuster

Got bored today, being school holidays,and not having any Kids,so I made up a ignition timing control for the fuego.Started with an old TDC sensor,stripped the old sensor off and drilled out the top row of holes and filed, making a track for the new sensor to slide in. Next I cut the wings off the good TDC sensor, and cut out some plate to make the back plastic plate flush with the wings.Then,using the cut off wings,I made a spacer for the new bracket.Had to buy a couple of 4mm bolts with nylocks, and trimmed to size.So i didn't end up with bits falling into the bell housing, got a bit of epoxsy and tacked the bits together.
    Jo

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DIY fuego timing adjuster-bracket.jpg   DIY fuego timing adjuster-img_0030.jpg   DIY fuego timing adjuster-img_0025.jpg   DIY fuego timing adjuster-img_0032.jpg  

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi
    Got bored today, being school holidays,and not having any Kids,so I made up a ignition timing control for the fuego.Started with an old TDC sensor,stripped the old sensor off and drilled out the top row of holes and filed, making a track for the new sensor to slide in. Next I cut the wings off the good TDC sensor, and cut out some plate to make the back plastic plate flush with the wings.Then,using the cut off wings,I made a spacer for the new bracket.Had to buy a couple of 4mm bolts with nylocks, and trimmed to size.So i didn't end up with bits falling into the bell housing, got a bit of epoxsy and tacked the bits together.
    Jo
    Been there done that

I moved mine as far to the drivers side (advanced) as I could and it certainly made the car feel more responsive. The head has never been off my car so it is still running the stock C/R and never pinks...

It's been like that for a few years now and has been fine...

I've always advanced the timing,too, I just decided to do it properly. normaly I just rip it off and super glue it on to to the plate in a more advanced place, but that tends to fall off,with a bang and a puff, after about 8 month.I'm hoping this one will not suffer the same end.
    Jo

This mod I am sure is a good one for Carbie equipped Fuegos (although I never bothered), but now you have EFI it is not needed. The ECU does all timing control duties in concert with the knock sensor.

Leave it standard, or it may upset the computer.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon
    This mod I am sure is a good one for Carbie equipped Fuegos (although I never bothered), but now you have EFI it is not needed. The ECU does all timing control duties in concert with the knock sensor.

Leave it standard, or it may upset the computer.
    Sorry Haakon, I canot leave something alone, and to tell the truth the tune of the motor is not great. Firstly, the car reves to 3000 rpm with just the tinyest sniff of air,and then there is this surging at low load/ highish revs that is the same freqency as the rev limiter. anyway, the car idles sweet as, and hammers well but it was all happening at low revs and choking above 5000.Moving the timing has opened up the high end somewhat.
    Jo

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi
    Sorry Haakon, I canot leave something alone, and to tell the truth the tune of the motor is not great. Firstly, the car reves to 3000 rpm with just the tinyest sniff of air,and then there is this surging at low load/ highish revs that is the same freqency as the rev limiter. anyway, the car idles sweet as, and hammers well but it was all happening at low revs and choking above 5000.Moving the timing has opened up the high end somewhat.
    Jo
    Sounds like something is amiss. Get everything running right in standard tune before mucking with timing. I would be looking for induction air leaks and at the temp sensor first.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon
    Sounds like something is amiss. Get everything running right in standard tune before mucking with timing. I would be looking for induction air leaks and at the temp sensor first.
    Something is very amiss.The temp sender seems fine except for the fact that it is so bloody hot down there where the pod is, and there are no induction leaks that I can find.
    I am not too concerned about upseting the computer that has upset me by not being able to setle on an o2 sensor, and one that need a $270 knock sensor to work properly. thats about a quarter the cost of a new programable ECU,and with the plans I've got for her, I'll just bully this one into geting me from A to B in usual fuego style until this plan happens.
    Jo

Default Advanced but not applied

Quote Originally Posted by mistareno
    Been there done that

I moved mine as far to the drivers side (advanced) as I could and it certainly made the car feel more responsive. The head has never been off my car so it is still running the stock C/R and never pinks...

It's been like that for a few years now and has been fine...
    Yeah, when I had my ignition troubles resulting in replacing the ignition module (open circuit secondary in the coil) I also bought another TDC sensor. I did some drilling of the bracket on the original to allow it to slide then tighten into a more advanced position - never tried it out. Is it really worth doing?

Quote Originally Posted by The Gonz
    Yeah, when I had my ignition troubles resulting in replacing the ignition module (open circuit secondary in the coil) I also bought another TDC sensor. I did some drilling of the bracket on the original to allow it to slide then tighten into a more advanced position - never tried it out. Is it really worth doing?
    you bet it is. its returned some of the advance that i reckon was confiscated from me when the knock sensor failed to respond to the computer.Try it out and find out for yourself.I reckon you'll leave it advanced.
    Jo

Fellow Frogger!

Will a 20 dizzy fit on a carby fuego?
    I have never seen a Fuego motor up close.

there are two fuego dizz styles ,for power steering or non PS.Non PS one comes off the fly wheel end of the cam shaft, the Ps model has one below the inlet manifold,as the Ps pully is used on the camshaft end.
    Jo

Thread Information