SA Bay to Birdwood 2005
  • Register
  • Help

Default SA Bay to Birdwood 2005

Hi,

I watched the SA Bay to Birdwood classic car run yesterday until she-who-must-be-obeyed found where I was hiding. Had the mobile turned off and all.

Advertisement

I counted one Simca, two Citroens, one Pug and ten Renaults. There were more Triumph TR6's and as many Datsun Fairlady/2000's. Unless there was a bunch of French cars in the last half hour, we frog fanciers weren't as many as I had hoped.

The next classic car run is in 2007 and I hope to have my round-eye in the run then. I exhort frog fanciers everywhere to come and holiday in SA in September 2007 and be part of the world's largest automobile parade (1760 vehicles this year). Let's be a Tour de Force in 2007!

To qualify, vehicles must be manufactured between 1954 and 1970 and the run attracts classic cars of all kinds from Austins, Imps, Prefects, Fiats to Caddies, T'Birds, Merc's, Rollers, Munro's, HO's an Edsel and even a P76. It's a car perv's paradise.

I spoke to one TR6 owner and a bug-eyed Sprite owner who put the top up for the first time EVER (it rained constantly). They were not very happy about putting the top up but they were definitely not going to abandon the run either. The sacrifices some people make for their cars! Most of the open cars continued tops down. They looked pretty chilly despite their furs and woollies - I bet a more than a few were ice-blocks by the time they got to Birdwood. Wonder how many took a sickie today?

Quote Originally Posted by uggliozzi
    To qualify, vehicles must be manufactured between 1954 and 1970 and the run attracts classic cars of all kinds from Austins, Imps, Prefects, Fiats to Caddies, T'Birds, Merc's, Rollers, Munro's, HO's an Edsel and even a P76. It's a car perv's paradise.
    From http://www.baytobirdwood.com.au/

"Please note that the rules for eligibility for both events have changed. The "Run" is now for vehicles more than fifty years old and the "Classic" for those vehicles less than fifty years old and more than thirty years old."

So the next event in 2007 will encompass cars manufactured between 1957 and 1977.
    Last edited by Europa; 26th September 2005 at 03:18 PM.
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

I wandered down to have a bit of a look on Sunday. Only stayed around for half an hour or so until I got dragged to do somethings. But in that time I saw a Renault 5 and a rear engined renault of some sort. I didnt catch the front as it was going past me when I walked out onto the kerb.

Was great to see the event again. But funnily enough I was amazed at the number of people with similar aged cars who just go for a drive up at the same time. I didnt wave to them - just the people with the numbers on the windscreens.
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

Europa,
    Thanx for correcting me on the qualifications . If I had have known that I could have taken my R12 Break this year instead of sitting on the side of the road.

So what was the list of renault's (models) that were there this year and who attended (with car) from this forum if any ???

I drifted down to Wakefield Street about 9.30. I saw three 750's, one Dauphine G, one square eye 10, one 16 (sans appelation), one 16TS, one 12 station sedan, one 5 "Alpine transformation".

hey simon which of my cars should i bring next year?.

Quote Originally Posted by robbie_renault
    hey simon which of my cars should i bring next year?.
    Any which is fifty or more years old. The 2006 event is for the 50 plus year old cars.

Then again I didn't enter this year so I'm not really the one to ask what cars you should enter :-)

Entries also close at 1750 total cars, which they reached without difficulty this year - I would suspect one would need to enter early to ensure a place!
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Icon7

Quote Originally Posted by Europa
    Entries also close at 1750 total cars, which they reached without difficulty this year - I would suspect one would need to enter early to ensure a place!
    Caps,

Simons observations were correct as to the Renault's represented.

The Renault 12 was my 1974 Tritan Green R12 wagon.

Cheers Rod
    Cheers
    Rod

Thread Information