Renault Clip wanted
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Renault Clip wanted

Hi,

i am trying to find myself a Clip tool - not an easy task as they are quite expencive as new. However a used one would be perfect and suite my budget and would be a perfect addition to my handy XR25 S

Any ideas or tips on such tool ? I would even pay a reward for any tip leading to a deal !

Advertisement

Best regards,
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by renaultbiler
    Hi,

i am trying to find myself a Clip tool - not an easy task as they are quite expencive as new. However a used one would be perfect and suite my budget and would be a perfect addition to my handy XR25 S

Any ideas or tips on such tool ? I would even pay a reward for any tip leading to a deal !

Best regards,
    Tom
    whats does the 'S' stand for in XR25 S.?
    Jo

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi
    whats does the 'S' stand for in XR25 S.?
    Jo
    Hello jo

The "S" means that the XR25S can connect directly to an external diagnose station while an XR25 (without the "S") needs an interface between itself and the external diagnose station.

I have never seen such diagnose station (other than a scetch of it) but i assume its a printer, scope and other useful features.
    Its a table on wheels with amongst other things a screen on it.

I think that most newer XR25 is infact the XR25S version since Actia started producing them - the old ones fabricated from Renix i think was only the XR25

Other features separating the XR25 and XR25S i have no clue about

Tom
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Renault Clip wanted-xr25s.jpg  
    Last edited by renaultbiler; 26th September 2005 at 05:26 AM.

Great info. Thanks,Jo

If your in Norway, I reckon it should be easier their in europe to get one than here in Australia, how much have you seen them for???? euros?

I heard the Clip can be a CD and data cable if you have a pc laptop or get the whole renault unit, don't know if that is totally true?....

Have a look in this E-Bay section, some interesting harnesses and stuff
    Garage Equipment & Tools --> Renault
    http://search.ebay.ie/search/search....&fsop=3&fsoo=1

Here is a strange Auto CD with reference to clip, plus other renault manuals..... russian
    http://autocd.com/autocd.html?q=10&gc=1231&sha=0

Renault infoTech - freelance option looks interesting
    http://www.infotech.renault.com/fo/index.jsp

Tadpole

Hi, thank you for your reply Covert

Actually it is quite difficult to get hold of one - only Renault workshops can buy them through the dealer in Norway, also very difficult to find one in other european countries.
    I have one on hand in GB, but its missing the CAN interface. Also one on hand in russia but its a bitch to get them to arrange delivery or pickup service even though i've offered to cover all expences with it

Basically i would buy one rather from Australia than Germany or Italy etc because of the software language on the computer operation system. I would prefer English on the computer even if the Clip software can easily be altered to english.

Both i have on hand is approx 2500 Euros, and that i would pay straight of if anybody could offer one seriously.

About the laptop installation only - sure, it can be done but then i would not be able to run the measurement pack on it, also i like things to be as they are suppose to be

Not an easy task to get one up here u see, and its a shame
    Tom ---> www.renaultbiler.no
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    PHP Code:
    <? require "Renault Clip tool" ?>
    1980 Alpine A-310 - with 2.5 V6 Turbo
    1983 R30TX - 65000 km
    1993 Espace RT 2.2
    1988 Trafic 2.1D 4x4

Tadpole

danielsydney asked to see some pictures of my Espace - i can't believe they dont sell them in Australia ??? !! ???
    However, i've attatched some humble photos - sorry for the bad quality as i grabbed them from my website in a rush.

Mine is "old", a 1993 model 2.2 petrol. This is phase 2 Espace (91-96)
    The car is a genious family trolly !! We are planning to buy a newer Grand Espace soon as this one actually is on the limit for our family of 6.

Tom
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Renault Clip wanted-espace7.jpg   Renault Clip wanted-espace5.jpg   Renault Clip wanted-espace17.jpg  
    PHP Code:
    1983 R30TX - 65000 km
    1993 Espace RT 2.2
    1988 Trafic 2.1D 4x4

Tom those pictures are great. Looks like a great machine.

Tadpole

Hay,

just 4 info - now i have found and bought the Clip tool - and what a bargain for a 1 year old machine too.... very happy indeed
    PHP Code:
    1983 R30TX - 65000 km
    1993 Espace RT 2.2
    1988 Trafic 2.1D 4x4

1000+ Posts

Default Well done!

Good that you found one Tom - perhaps a detailed description of what it is plus use etc would educate a few of us that have never met one - sounds like a handy gadget.

Tadpole

Yes, i'll give it a try - but i still havent tried it out and i am no "expert" what so ever Any expert that comes across this must correct me if i am wrong

The Renault Clip is the new generation Renault Diagnostic/configuration tool for most Renault - both old and new + all new models still to come for many years ahead, overtaking after the well known but a bit "tricky" XR25 box. Also there is another tool on the market doing most of the same things as the Clip - this is called Actia NXR, but thats another story for now.
    Note that the XR25 is still required for some purposes on "old" cars - for example the active suspention system on R25 and Safrane can not be calibrated with any other tool than the XR25.

The Clip is a box (kind of plastic brief-case) with a laptop in it + connection leads both with the old 12 pin and the new standard 16 pin plug.
    In the box under the laptop, is some electronics located.
    The first Clip's had the connectors on the left side of the box through the electronic board and up to the laptop. The resent models come with the now required CAN interface that is connected directly to the computer via USB, and the box no longer have the connections available on the left side - The connection between laptop and box-electronics is via USB as the "old" ones - therefore 2 USB ports are now in use on the laptop.

This means that if you can get your hands on the CAN interface with cables, this will make almost full Clip tool if used on most common laptops (dedicated HP-Compac models) as long as you install the Clip software successfully.
    The CAN interfaces are however just as hard to get as a complete machine and costs almost the same ..... example from Poland, a used CAN interface and cables are normally around 2000 Euros !

But if you are planning to run the Clip measurement pack on the Clip, the electronics in the box is required (what i heard anyways..)
    The measurement pack is another box to be connected to the laptop and makes it possible to use features as oscilloscope and many other things via the Clip laptop. It comes with two boxes packed with all kinds of test leads to test individually components on the car.

The Clip tool makes fault diagnostics and reset on all electronics in the car + you need it for programming new keys, cards, car setup and configurations.
    New Clip cd's are released all the time with updated software to adapt new models etc. Also a reprog cd are updated and issued many times every year - this containes new and updated software for the cars electronics such as the ECU etc. and you therefore can update the cars software with latest release each time it is in the workshop on normal service or repairs.

This means that a Renault that is some years old and the owner did not use the Renault workshop for service and repairs, most likely has older and maybe more "buggy" software compared to a car that has been serviced at Renault workshops and has updated software installed !!

Huh....enough for now - hope somebody understood my info here...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Renault Clip wanted-old_clip.jpg   Renault Clip wanted-sonde-can-clip.jpg   Renault Clip wanted-new-clip-can.jpg  
    PHP Code:
    1983 R30TX - 65000 km
    1993 Espace RT 2.2
    1988 Trafic 2.1D 4x4

Tadpole

just in case anyone interested, the first Clip i've seen on ebay is on right now:
    sheck out the auction here

shall be fun to see the winning bid
    PHP Code:
    1983 R30TX - 65000 km
    1993 Espace RT 2.2
    1988 Trafic 2.1D 4x4

1000+ Posts

Default Diagnostics dilema

Tom,
    thank you for all the useful info on Renault diagnostic. However, i find it disturbing that one would need constantly - it seems- updated CD's (the maker won't supply to DIY and if they do, they make it finacially impossible)because the buggers are either too dumb or too smart by half to get the systems right in the first place. I tend to think it is a ruse.
    Sad, it doesn't only apply to frog cars. Tried to buy a manual for VW Golf from a dealer and the only way is to buy their CD for $A 1500 or $A1600.

It would not be difficult to have a universal 'language' for car computers and an relatively cheap interface for a laptop many more could use to solve problems.

It's not only DIY but small garages find it difficult as well especially that manufacturers only give comprehensive info to their dealers.
    Doesn't seem fair or right to me, sure it is to them.

Suppose one has to like it or lump it. A solution is to buy an older car.

Tadpole

Hi JoBo,

actually, talking engine diagnostics only there is a standard supporting all petrol cars from year 2001 and all diesel from 2004 - this means that you can buy an interface and software very cheap to plug on your laptop and it will read fault codes, reset service light, read live engine data and so on on all light vehicles. This is the OBD II standard.
    Renault uses interface type KWP2000 or ISO 9141-2 and later CAN - most such software support all current standards so its just to select autodetect and go

But when it comes to the rest of the car (engine is more and more just a small piece of the total electronics onboard) it is required with the original equippment to do full access.
    Software are however offered secondhand on e.g. Ebay as soon as an update has reached the seller - so no problem as you can get yourself new disks from time to time if you would like to.

But it will never again be as easy as it is with the good old cars where a sledge hammer and a span key did almost everything
    PHP Code:
    1983 R30TX - 65000 km
    1993 Espace RT 2.2
    1988 Trafic 2.1D 4x4

1000+ Posts

Thank you for that info, Tom

Thread Information