fuego engine mount
  • Register
  • Help

Default fuego engine mount

Just cut my first thread ever,whilst fabricating up a MistaReno patented front mount,or my version of it.Thanks for sharing your design.There is a vibration being transmitted now,but as a male,I find it quite pleasurable.My car realy does give me the horn now.
    Jo

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi
    Just cut my first thread ever,whilst fabricating up a MistaReno patented front mount,or my version of it.Thanks for sharing your design.There is a vibration being transmitted now,but as a male,I find it quite pleasurable.My car realy does give me the horn now.
    Jo
    that vibration was too much, as something behind the dash would resonate between exactly 2 to 3000 rpm.Today I removed the creation and reinstalled with 2 strips of 1mm(ish) rubber mat between the body and the body-bracket,and rubber washers for the bolts that hold the bracket to the body. I drilled out a suspention bush washer, and placed an old bush on the drop link,but didn't have time to find another set for the bottom side.will do that another time. By decoupling the bracket to the body,a lot of the vibration has gone,but the mount still does the trick.I need not be so careful when coming quick off the throttle,like in traffic.I could previously feel the movement in the drive train through the gear stick, but that has all but gone now.
    Jo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fuego engine mount-e-mount.jpg  

Can't you get a standard mount?
    1986 Renault Fuego GTX
    1972 Mercedes Benz 280E
    1988 Nissan Trakka Campervan
    1972 VW Kombi

In business, words are words; explanations are explanations, promises are promises, but only performance is reality.
    Harold Ganeen.

Administrator

that vibration was too much, as something behind the dash would resonate between exactly 2 to 3000 rpm.Today I removed the creation and reinstalled with 2 strips of 1mm(ish) rubber mat between the body and the body-bracket,and rubber washers for the bolts that hold the bracket to the body. I drilled out a suspention bush washer, and placed an old bush on the drop link,but didn't have time to find another set for the bottom side.will do that another time. By decoupling the bracket to the body,a lot of the vibration has gone,but the mount still does the trick.I need not be so careful when coming quick off the throttle,like in traffic.I could previously feel the movement in the drive train through the gear stick, but that has all but gone now.
    Jo
    You probably made it too short (or to long) and when it is tightened up it takes to much load (either lifting the engine up or pulling it down)

I made sure that the mount I made was loadless when fully tightened.

Also be sure that the bolt that goes through the bush is a very loose fit.

I used an old rather worn sway bar bush and the bolt was actually completely free and didn't really touch the sides from memory.

There was certainly no more vibration than the original design...

5 years and still no issues

Maybe its just me, but I was perfectly happy with the stock mount. Tossed a $20 newbie in, and forgot about it. Never had any real longevity issues with it.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Administrator

Have a look at the front mount on my car (photo taken quite some time ago by Ken Fuego)
    Fuego Front Mount

It is not 'loaded' at all...

Hakkon, the front mount on Fuego's are rather weak and fail reguarly when driven hard and its failure can lead to failures of the other engine and gearbox mounts.

I've never had a mount break on my car in 150K which is doing Ok for a Fuego (especially considering the driving style I often employ)

Many Fuego owners also complain about axle tramp if they get wheel spin etc, but I haven't had any issues when at DECA or being driven hard on the road. It spins but still puts the power down smoothly. I think the better control of movement offered helps...

I know all about its supposed flaws, having had 2 Fuegos. Both of them were driven plenty hard enough, but just never had one fail.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon
    I know all about its supposed flaws, having had 2 Fuegos. Both of them were driven plenty hard enough, but just never had one fail.
    I must admit, I never have had one knowingly fail either but when I removed the one from my car (that looked Ok) it fell apart as soon as I unbolted everything...

They are not designed to take any static load, just to restrict movement, however the non-genuine ones seem to be alot more fragile than the original units.

I suppose the good thing is that they fail 'safe' in that they stay together even when the rubber tears (albeit allowing even more movement than normal)

I've had two fail on me, one every coupld of years and I'm no Evil Kneivel, repalcing them, it even feels pretty fragile, like the ballistics gel in Mythbusters. To scared to look again after going through a massive pothole the other weekend.

Administrator

Oh yeah, forgot to mention (and it can't be seen in the pictures)

There is tubular sleeve around the bolt that goes through the bush (between the 2 side 'legs' ) to prevent the bush being squashed when you tighten the nut. It also ensures that the nut tightens up by a proper metal on metal contact.

It is hard to say from the photo, but it looks like you just tightened a bolt up without the sleeve.

This means that the bush will have no way of moving freely (and will transmit alot more vibration) and the nut will probably come loose also...

You may have done this but it is hard to say...

If I had any faith in the OE mount,I'd not be doing this.I think that the front bush is an exelent indicator of the state of the other mounts, as if they are a bit sus, the front will go ,for sure.I tend to go through mounts,and luckilly have not suffered any major consiquences, but am keen not to either!
    Mr Reno,I''m sure you are right about the loading bit.The bush I used was from the control arm side of a fuego droplink, and has a metal sleeve already.The bolt is the same size bolt, as the damper/sway bar bolt.Had to drill out the mount a bit.I have washers from the end of the drive shafts,to fit on either side of the bush but ran out of time re-assembling, and left them (and a few others) out. This meant that the bolt is reaching the end of its thread with maybe 10mm to go before it causes the bracket to bite into the bush.
    the rubber de-coupling has made a huge difference, but I think I'll try again tomorrow,with the other side of the droplink, the non sleaved side,giving it a bit more complience.
    The difference it has made to the car is quite amazing.might even think about a rolling first gear start.
    Jo
    Jo

If I had any faith in the OE mount,I'd not be doing this.I think that the front bush is an exelent indicator of the state of the other mounts, as if they are a bit sus, the front will go ,for sure.I tend to go through mounts,and luckilly have not suffered any major consiquences, but am keen not to either!
    Jo
    Other mounts aside, I also gave up on replacing front mounts with OEMs the last one I put in lasted 1 month! AND I must mention, this is on brand new rear engine mounts.

Maybe it depends on the engine? My understanding was that the original design transmitted too much vibration through the car, so they removed one.

Ill have to take a photo of the broken mount, its floating in the middle, but not going anywhere. Its like there is too much upward force.

David.
    Last edited by vivid; 22nd September 2005 at 08:25 PM.