R8 Body Side Strips Anywhere?
  • Register
  • Help

Default R8 Body Side Strips Anywhere?

My R8 restoration is almost complete after eighteen months. But I still need the alloy strips for the body. Anyone, anywhere? The Renault 10 strips aren't the same -- they are made of stainless steel, as many of you will know, plus the pieces for the front and rear guards are too long. I have looked hard at how I might use the R10 ones anyway, but they don't seem to be bendable without crimping, and if I cut them to approximate length, there's still the problem of how to bring them to a point. The car doesn't look correct without the strips and I'm reluctant to consider the plastic stick-on substitute -- just not kosher, to me at least. I haven't tried overseas yet, but I'm hoping desperately that someone out there might have an R8 still sitting around.

Advertisement

Charger 071 on this forum has just wrecked an R8 and would have kept the strips if decent. Try a PM. Give The French Connection at Airport West in Melbourne a call.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    02 and 03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee +

I'm still hunting for side mouldings for my R8 -- new or secondhand -- and have just about given up on securing a set in the land of Oz. I've just sent away a parcel of emails and faxes to possible suppliers in France, USA and Belgium. A few people have told me that it's possible to get almost any part for an R8 Gordini, and certainly some of these that I've seen have perfect brightwork on them, some of which has to be new. The same could be true of some of the gorgeous R8s around, as the trim is the same for both cars. I've trawled all the web sites, and followed up all the leads I've been given, but I'm still hoping for someone out there who's purchased reproduction bits like taillight lenses or trim for an R8G, or knows where to get them overseas.

Default Got some

Clive,
    I have a set for you that comes from my future race car. They are in a good condition although not new. You can have them but it will cost you freight charges.
    Let me know.
    Frans
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive Atkinson
    I'm still hunting for side mouldings for my R8 -- new or secondhand -- and have just about given up on securing a set in the land of Oz. I've just sent away a parcel of emails and faxes to possible suppliers in France, USA and Belgium. A few people have told me that it's possible to get almost any part for an R8 Gordini, and certainly some of these that I've seen have perfect brightwork on them, some of which has to be new. The same could be true of some of the gorgeous R8s around, as the trim is the same for both cars. I've trawled all the web sites, and followed up all the leads I've been given, but I'm still hoping for someone out there who's purchased reproduction bits like taillight lenses or trim for an R8G, or knows where to get them overseas.
    The taillight lenses pop up from time to time on ebay, (just select the show items worldwide option) The down side is that they seem to go for hundreds of euros per set. Other G bits show up there as well but not as often. The strips should be able to be sourced good secondhand in Australia. If you get stuck pm me with a list of what you want and I'll see if a mate of mine has them in his alladin's cave 20 foot container of 8 bits.

http://www.enpi-retro-auto.com/ list aluminium brightwork for the 8 plus most rubber bits you woudl need and upholstery material for most french classics. www.neoretrofrance.com lists a lot of stuff for the 8/10 - the taillights listed are about 33 euros but I suspect that they are 10 style. Both these sites are less mechanically oriented than Mecaparts and there is a fair range of detail items that you don't find at Mecaparts.

You may need a good technical french dictionary to work out what some of the stuff is. Try http://www.granddictionnaire.com/btm...ndex1024_1.asp it is brilliant.

A good set of secondhand strips will polish up a treat with silvo etc.
    Hope this is of some help
    Last edited by BogMaster; 20th September 2005 at 10:46 PM.
    Woo Hoo Honi ko'u 'elemu (Hawaiian)

Quote Originally Posted by Frans
    Clive,
    I have a set for you that comes from my future race car. They are in a good condition although not new. You can have them but it will cost you freight charges.
    Let me know.
    Frans
    You are a champion, and I'm very interested. I sent you a PM, but I'll be out of touch for the next few days and may be unable to respond.
    All the best, Clive

Tadpole

Icon7

Quote Originally Posted by Clive Atkinson
    My R8 restoration is almost complete after eighteen months. But I still need the alloy strips for the body. Anyone, anywhere? The Renault 10 strips aren't the same -- they are made of stainless steel, as many of you will know, plus the pieces for the front and rear guards are too long. I have looked hard at how I might use the R10 ones anyway, but they don't seem to be bendable without crimping, and if I cut them to approximate length, there's still the problem of how to bring them to a point. The car doesn't look correct without the strips and I'm reluctant to consider the plastic stick-on substitute -- just not kosher, to me at least. I haven't tried overseas yet, but I'm hoping desperately that someone out there might have an R8 still sitting around.
    I have about 10 sets. I have 30 boxes of NOS parts for the R8. I need a rear bumper. I am building 2 R8's at the moment.

1000+ Posts

Default Try a google search

Some weeks back I was searching for some odd auto bits and pieces and came across a chinese manufacturer that had Renault tail lights displayed on the site and I seem to recall R8 tail lights shown - (I may be mistaken with the designation) but it would be worth a search they also had a stuff for other french cars but nothing for mine so i didn't bookmark the site and I can't find it in history to check.

Default Hold on

In Clive's PM to me he mentioned that he will be absent from AF for a few days. Hang on for a while because he might take you up on your offer Wayne.
    I do have rear bumpers as well if you are interested. It will cost you freight only.
    Frans
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Vernon
    I have about 10 sets. I have 30 boxes of NOS parts for the R8. I need a rear bumper. I am building 2 R8's at the moment.
    Hi Wayne, hold onto those extras! I have some extras and probably some little bits short on my 8 resto, tho as I haven't started it yet I am not sure exactly yet. The spares are all mixed up with Dauphine bits. I know ill need a front left wing to. The list WILL grow, but its pretty complete.

David.