The Fuego dilema
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Administrator

Default The Fuego dilema

Been thinking recently about replacing the trusty Fuego with something newer, perhaps next year.

I was thinking along the lines of Megane 2.0 3 Door or 225.

Problem is I had this sneaking suspicion in the back of my mind that when push came to shove, I might not be able to get rid of the Fuego, I've had it for 6 years, know the chassis like it is an extension of my arm and have found it damn near bullet proof...

So I started thinking about why I wanted to get rid of the Fuego and most of my reasoning centered around the materialistic principle of 'wanting something new'...

The problem is, I was a mechanic in a former life and as such preform all of my own servicing and maintenance (something I wouldn't be able to do on a new car with a warranty).

This is not a big issue whilst in warranty, but when your 3 years are up, I'd imagine that a Megane or similar would make a Fuego feel like a Tractor to work on in comparison (not to mention the higher parts prices). Do I then trade it in on another new car with warranty?

I did some quick calculations and if I spent $35K on a Megane 3 door (or similar), it would require about $1000 a year for servicing (I do 30K a year)

And would be worth about 20-25K in three years as a trade in with 100+K on the clock....

Therefore, if I was to trade in every three years I would be paying close to 5K a year to maintain a warranty

In return for that 5K, I would admittedly be getting a car that is a safer (I've never crashed a car but I suppose it's a consideration) sightly more fuel efficient but one that handles no better than my current car...

I kinda feel like I'd be buying a new car just for the sake of it...

35K would build a damn nice Shed...

Advertisement

Am I the only person to break down the mechanics of purchasing a new car?

Is it basically just a materialistic purchase for most?

What is the general motivation for people to purchase new cars?
    Last edited by mistareno; 20th September 2005 at 12:49 PM.

1000+ Posts

Default Everyone should have at least one new car

Richard

I think that everyone at one stage in their life is entitled to experience one new car if only to get it out of your system, My new car was an excellent experience because I bought well at the best price so that depreciation was not much of an issue (it was 1968 after all) I kept it over 20 years and it served the family well, but I would not do it today unless it was a company car.

Like I did, you will be driving late model cars as part of the priveledge of working for the G/ment, so you see the best and the worst of those, especially when tested by multiple drivers (some who can drive and some that can't)!

Every dollar now put into bricks and mortar will build an asset (and if a good shed, a welcome retreat when you feel the need to tinker ) the shed and your property will increase in value, whereas todays new vehicles suffer horrendous initial depreciation and of course no one really cares when they scrape your new cars door with a shopping trolley etc.

The choice is do you wait like I did and buy just before the new family arrived as with two salaries coming in its a wonderful time to spend money. Later its a bit tight for a few years on one salary, but the kids make up for it and there is no harm to live on a budget for a few years

The choice then is to wait till you have paid everything off, and in this day and age credit is shoved at everyone to keep you in debt and at the mercy of your friendly bank. You can always wait until you "retire" and then buy your new car, but by that time you will probably regard a good holiday as a higher priority.

Today, most seem to run a line of credit and accept being in debt as a way of life and it is easy to have everything today, but in the end it must be paid for even on the drip feed.

Your choice. for long term or short term enjoyment, and thats an "Old guys" perspective. My

Hi Some good comments.
    Back in the "good old days" I bought a new car every two years-leased of course. These ranged from Alfa GTVs (105s) , Peugeot 504 and 505s, Datsun 240K, Holdens etc. We were always a two car family and usually had a second car suitable for kids sports etc.

After taking early retirement at 45 due to major heart attack-lifestyle change- we kept a 504 (1979) we had had for a couple of years and a 1966 MB 250s that we had bought while on a trip to Sydney.
    Could not afford new cars and sold Peugeot when lease expired.
    Gradually went back to short term consultancy work after 4 years but could not justify new car.

We found that a Mercedes Benz, Peugeot especially bought privately with a history was far better value than a new Holden , Falcon etc.
    They had maxed depreciation, some models actually appreciated or held value and were relatively simple to maintain.
    To cut a long story short we have a very nice MB 280E (1972), the 1986 Fuego which we have just bought and our Nissan camper.
    The MB is appreciating-parts are relatively cheap-if needed and it could be driven around Australia tomorrow. Fuego will also be ready to do this shortly.
    To give a comparision a local firne bought a 1992 Falcon , at his wife's insistence, newly retired and he wanted to get a small camper. The camper he wanted -Toyota- recently sold again for $2000 more than he could have git it for and he has been offered $2000 trade on new Falcon which he can't afford. He could have bought 6 X $2000 cars in the same time and still be $10,000 in front if he dumped them .

Just a personal opinion. If you are young and got the "bickies" get the new ones but cars are now becoming throwaway products so try and get a classic that will be enjoyable.
    1986 Renault Fuego GTX
    1972 Mercedes Benz 280E
    1988 Nissan Trakka Campervan
    1972 VW Kombi

In business, words are words; explanations are explanations, promises are promises, but only performance is reality.
    Harold Ganeen.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I think your on the wrong board for people to talk up new cars.

If I had to have a new car, no way would I be looking at the Frenchies ... I'd head to the auctions and by a near new Verada/Camry/Fowlcan for a fraction of it's new price with probably less than 10,000kms on it (don't laugh, keep your eye on the auction sites, they go through with less than 10,000kms on them). If it lasted 10years I could then drive it to the tip, it's paid for itself.

I've been driving since I was 16years old, the old CX2400 I have up my backyard is one of the cars I drove on my 'L'earner plates.... I purchased it from my father for far less than it was worth when my Renault 12 got wiped out (someone else run up the back of it, the only accident I've ever been in .... And it wasn't my fault ). I drove that CX until I was 29 years old ... You would drive new'ish/new cars:

--Doesn't ride as well as mine
    --Doesnt' handle as well as mine (once you learn how to drive the big floaty barges that is)
    --doesn't stop as well as mine
    --feels faster
    --the ventilation works, nice ... the air-con blows cold .... droooolllll....
    --steers like sh!t compared to the CX
    --quieter than the CX ...
    --headlights aren't as good
    --seats aren't as good
    --Won't loose a cent on my car ... After all how can something that's near worthless be worth any less. If I drive it long enough it might even appreciate.

Hmm, the only bonus I could see with a newer car was:

--possibly less servicing (the old CX really does cost bugger all to run)
    --air conditioning ... sheer heaven it would be to have a nice cool car to drive in summer
    --Hopefully it'd use less petrol (then again, it would most likely be CX sized so use at least the same amount)
    --it would be quieter

I did end up parking the old CX up in 2003 ... Why Well I was kinda forced to retire it as I can't afford to register more than one car ... and my father was selling his car ... that I HAD TO HAVE ..... .... The car that's replaced it A Citroen CX

I still have:
    --No air conditioning
    --No ventilation
    --It's bloody hot in summer
    --This one is worth something, but it'll always be worth that and most likely appreciate instead of depreciate.

I still drive new cars and think:
    --Nice ... it's quiet
    --the air con works
    --It steers like sh!t
    --It rides like crap
    --the seats are garbage
    --It's slower than my 20year old CX
    --It handles like [email protected]
    --It'll cost a sh!tload in depreciation I can't afford

Will this line of thinking never end The answer was simple in my case, I got SWMBO a modern car that's quiet with decent air con

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

MrReno,I would personaly put buying a new car last on my priorities list,largely for the reasons you stated.35 thousand buys alot of other stuff,and even the fuego would become a super fuego if you injected $5k a year into her.I get to drive other cars from time to time, and each time I get back in the fuego, I dont feel like I'm geting in a $800 car.Can't put a price on the joy I get from fiddling with her ,either.
    Jo

Quote Originally Posted by mistareno
    Is it basically just a materialistic purchase for most?
    One look at my profile below will show the age of my cars. We have an R12 which is so totally at the end of it's life it's not funny (accident damage, tyres close to bald, very rattly motor etc.)

We are now shopping for a new car for the following reasons:
    • Worn out existing (32 year old) car
    • 1 year old child (safety)
    • Very little spare time available for day-to-day repairs/maintenance
    • Adelaide summer approaching (airconditioning would be nice!)
    • Reliability now more important than in the past (pre baby)
    I think the big reason for not sticking with an older car for the day-to-day stuff is really down to the lack of time for repairs, and the desire to have a car that we can travel in without fear of an obscure/unobtainable part failure leaving us stranded.

Something that doesn't bother me so much as a single person, but with partner and baby aboard, that sort of "adventure" isn't quite as fun ;-)
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Yeah,

my opinions would probably be like macquered's if I had to pay someone else to service my old cars ... Partically if I was going to buy something like a BX16valve (the service people see that 16valve badge and the $$$ signs just light up in there eyes .... And it probably will need quite a bit of servicing).

To run a 2nd hand frenchie on the cheap you really do need to pick the right car and find a good mechanic. Eg: a BX or 405 8valve .... Possibly more economical running would now be Xantia/406 (I can't think of a Renault to put in here, I think I'd prefer to drive a Magna to a Renault 19 ) They would need to be 8valve 5spd manuals as the 405/BX are getting long in the tooth.

I can't think of a 4year old replacement that would be an interesting car after the Fuego either Maybe a Poogoe 306 ... Though the 16valve versions of them always seem to be having an issue of some sort here.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Sounds boring but a Subaru Liberty is a nice car to drive, bloody safe
    considering the built in stability management programs etc etc
    and not bad on the fuel. The four wheel drive is the only thig I miss
    from my Clio and thats a huge safety bonus in terms of braking
    and accelerating in weet slipopery conditions. Build quality is good,
    they are reliable and the engines last for decades, plus they don't
    depreciate as quick as many cars.
    Second hand they are a little expensive but you get a lot of car for your
    money and they are nice to drive, way better than a MAGNA!

Cheers,
    Biologist
    ----------------
    A
    one Megane Family

I dont think anyone really buys a new(ish) car for sound finacial reasons, especially if they of the DIY persuasion.

Richard, I think you should get the new Renault, and sell me your Fuego for cheap. I have mostly gotton the newish car thing out of my system, and am seriously having Fuego thoughts again...
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon
    I dont think anyone really buys a new(ish) car for sound finacial reasons, especially if they of the DIY persuasion.
    Money comes and money goes. As a previous poster said, it's worth having a new car at least once in your life!
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

I've got a good suggestion for MistaRenault .... It makes so much sense I feel like doing it myself.... The interesting bit will be finding the cars.

The idea being you run two Fuegos, that way you have a backup car incase one needs work.

Fuego 1 : Deisel Fuego (yeah, they did make them unless my memory is even worst than usual). Brilliant fuel economy ... The car you'd do the bulk of your travelling in to keeps costs waaaaayyyyy down.

Fuego 2 : Fuel injected V6 Fuego ... Lotsa power, heaps of funs, but uses to much petrol so is only used as a backup car ... Or when your driving for enjoyment

(hey this is someone who thinks very logically here... What could be more logical than running a CX GTi turbo as a daily car ... And maybe I should get my fathers deisel wagon to run as a second car .... You just know it makes complete sense ).

The plus side is this would cost far less than buying a new car, and most likely you wouldn't lose $$$ on the Fuegos if you ever tried to sell them !!

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Icon12

Richard....now for someone's (about the same age) worth perspective
    I actually went through the same mental process when the megane225/ RSC182 came out....

The fuego is a hard car to "upgrade" from....

I have also had the luxury of being able to drive alot of different new & late model cars....& all the while I've been doing that, I've been assessing them from the point of view of potential fuego replacement...
    Most modern cars fall short of the fuego as an overall package....

If the V6 laguna salon came in manual..the choice may have been easy...but it doesn't so...

The 225 & the 182 were the first cars to come along that were serious contenders for replacing the fuego...in the hands of someone who knows how to drive them...both handle better than the fuego...& both can stop ALOT quicker! Both are just as comfortable...and alot more responsive.

the 225's acceleration is pure glee to a fuego driver....all that overtaking power that we wish we had! It is very quiet (disconcertingly quiet) but has a nice note from the exhaust when opened up (very, very nice note) fuel economy is on a par with most fuegos....but you get alot more horses under you without having to feed them much more....people have canned the feel of the steering, but I found the steering feel to be better than a PS fuego, but not as good as a non PS fuego. It's suspension & ride are on par with the fuego...a tad smoother....& the air con works well! (no need to say any more on that!) The Brembo's are just AWESOME! The boot capacity, whilst not as versatile as the fuego's, is roomy enough to be a true contender.

yes, of course the car costs more to buy, service etc..but hey, it's a new car! & fuego's are ridiculously cheap! (the ultimate bang for your bucks car)
    the 225 can be driven sedately, once the innitial excitement has been restrained (making a good daily driver), but always that exhilarating accelleration is available at the press of a pedal (serendipity to a fuego driver)
    & this is probably the major feature that makes the car fun (for a fuego driver)

I personally decided against the 225 for the sole reason that I didn't believe I could restrain myself well enough to keep hold of my current record of being the only member of my immediate family who has never lost points off their license (a record I am very chuffed about! ) If I were to lose a point, or move to the NT...then it would be a different story, 225 would be my first choice

I ended up choosing the 182 instead, as I found I could get over the lack of boot space (if I retained a fuego as a track car) & because the 182 is SOOOOO much fun to drive ...it ought to be illegal! the 182 is really the only car I have driven which is categorically & astronomically more fun to drive than the fuego.

Alas...I am not in the position to finacially change from the fuego yet.
    & I comfort myself with the knowledge that the fuego has what both the above cars don't have....that incognito factor....the ..."WTF is a hairdressers car doing keeping up with....OMG! pushing me on the corners...my brand new, hotted up, high performance beast?....& you paid what? for a car that can do that!???!!!...but it's 20 yrs old!!!!! OMG!"

Aus
    P.S. I wouldn't be selling the fuego....it would be rob roy/ motorkhana bound
    Last edited by mistareno; 20th September 2005 at 12:51 PM.
    Aus
    ".....the good health of a pond is held in a delicate balance. A pond's condition
    deteriorates when the bottom environment cannot support animal life.
    The bottom is the area that runs out of oxygen first, it is where the most oxygen is used........"

'84 fuego GTX
    '87 fuego GTX
    '85 fuego GTX
    ....beginning to look a bit frightning isn't it.

Everybody buys cars for different reasons. I would have loved to buy an Alfa GTV every couple of years when I was in business but it was not logical to cart clients around. Had Holden and then Fairlanes and then the best of the lot- comfort ,quiet, handled, stopped, and I loved it. New 1978 504.

I still loved Alfas and my S4 EH but the Pug was ideal for what I needed.
    505s followed and then to MBs but not knew. Still kept a 504 though for many years. My daughter first cars were 504s for safety and reliability.

My current choice for a "fun car" is the Fuego. Can't justify 105 series Alfa and also not many had air or power steering.
    Third part insurance only- economical and people ask what is it? Normals who drive GMH, Ford and our Asian cars and could not tell an M3 BMW from a Hyundi can't believe it is nearly 20 years old.

So horses for courses and if eveybody liked the same there would be some real boring cars out there.
    1986 Renault Fuego GTX
    1972 Mercedes Benz 280E
    1988 Nissan Trakka Campervan
    1972 VW Kombi

In business, words are words; explanations are explanations, promises are promises, but only performance is reality.
    Harold Ganeen.

Administrator

Hmmm,

The 225 does still interest me, but I'd have to drive the revised one as I find the existing one very nose heavy and understeery when compared to my car in it's current suspension guise.

The braking issue is not really much of an issue, as my car just with GreenStuff front pads pulls up on a dime (it weighs 300kg less than a Megane) and when the pads are worn I'm putting on R25 front discs and calipers which should improve endurance further still...

The main thing I probably dislike about my car is the highish NVH levels.

It's probably not bad for a 20 year old car, but compared to current cars that have the engine and suspension mounted to isolated subframes it feels harsh...

I wonder if I could manufacture an engine subframe

1000+ Posts

Richard, my wife has a three year old Astra which is the family workhorse. The reason is purely functional - everything works, it's built like a brick outhouse, and it's safe in a crash. This last point was most important because it carries my two primary school kids around.

I do all the work on it, too - I'm buying a timing belt kit this weekend ($150) and it'll be done ASAP. I've replaced the front discs and all the brake pads, the pollen filter, and of course gneral servicing is a given. You'd only have three years to wait to get your grubby mitts on the dirty bits...

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Fellow Frogger!

Default Replacement

Dear Richard

Consider a 5yo or less Xsara. Its got twin airbags, ABS and a little French style. Because they are neither fish (Citroen) nor fowl (Peugeot), they are generally unloved and have depreciated to the point of a cheap buy. Also just superceded by the C4.

French
    Newish
    Safe
    Comfortable
    Handles
    Steers
    Brakes
    Affordable

1000+ Posts

David, they might not be a fish, but they sure do look like one.
    Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Fellow Frogger!

Default Stuey

They must be fish. They are certainly NOT fowl! :

And add to previous post
    Economical

Mistareno, I was in a similar predicament a couple of years back. I have a young family who take up alot of my time, my beloved Fuego was starting to demand too much attention with constant breakages, nothing major but little things that needed attention (electrical mainly).
    I didn't have the to time to work on her anymore and it was getting to the stage where I would be praying that she would start for me in the mornings so I could go to work! (this is starting to sound like a movie plot to Christine)
    So for ease of mind I bit the bullet and got myself a new car (my first), it starts everytime, is comfortable, everything works and is fun to drive, but unfortunately it's not a Renault because I do not fit in the Clio (which I had my heart set on) or Megane!
    Depreciation is not a problem for me as I keep my cars for a long time, I've had my beloved Fuego now for 20 years and my current ride will be pasted on to my eldest son in 6 or 7 years when he's old enough to drive.
    Now here is the good part, because Fuegos are considered worthless I was only offered $1700 trade-in (which in hindsight was a good offer), but I thought "NO!, she's worth more than that!" and rather foolishly, thought that I could sell her for more, but no takers.
    So now I was stuck with an out of rego Fuego that was worth even less!
    But now my kids are getting a little older, they are starting to do their own thing, which means I now have a little time to start tinkering on my beloved Fuego and as they get older, I'll have more free time.
    So my advise to you would be, get the new car and if you are as attached to your Fuego as I am to mine, keep it as a future project!

By the way, and this will probably upset a few people, I reckon my new car, an Opel Corsa (Holden Barina) runs rings around my Fuego! My beloved Fuego feels like an old 4X4 compared to the Corsa, but it does'nt mean I like her any less!
    Cheers Renomad

"Today's mighty oak, is just yesterdays nut that held it's ground"

Current frogs, Dad's R19 & Dad's Scenic.

Past frogs, R12 Wagon X2, R12GL, Fuego X2, R10 X2, R8 X.5!

Quote Originally Posted by Europa
    One look at my profile below will show the age of my cars. We have an R12 which is so totally at the end of it's life it's not funny (accident damage, tyres close to bald, very rattly motor etc.)

We are now shopping for a new car for the following reasons:
    • Worn out existing (32 year old) car
    • 1 year old child (safety)
    • Very little spare time available for day-to-day repairs/maintenance
    • Adelaide summer approaching (airconditioning would be nice!)
    • Reliability now more important than in the past (pre baby)
    I think the big reason for not sticking with an older car for the day-to-day stuff is really down to the lack of time for repairs, and the desire to have a car that we can travel in without fear of an obscure/unobtainable part failure leaving us stranded.

Something that doesn't bother me so much as a single person, but with partner and baby aboard, that sort of "adventure" isn't quite as fun ;-)
    Hey Europa,

wrong place for this, but book 'The boss' in for a test drive of a 2nd hand Xantia vsx .... Your going to be bloody amazed at the car you get for the $$$$. I would be surprised if you couldn't get a mid '90s car for the $4-8000 range ...

I'd never have got one personally, however my mother was selling hers, and as much as it pains me to say, it's a seriously nice car to drive. It would out handle my CX GTi Turbo, ride easily as well as it and feels so bloody solid that if I took on a [email protected] tank in it, the [email protected] tank would come off second best.... Just like you I bought it when my wife was 7months pregnant ... We suddenly desperatly need a modern reliable car with decent air-con. For the $$$ there worth they are simply a phenominal buy Best bit is there just a 406 with proper suspension and usuable hatchback body ... The best bit about the 406's/Xantias is there just slightly bigger/heavier 405's/BX's and just as reliable.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Quote Originally Posted by Renomad
    Mistareno, I was in a similar predicament a couple of years back. I have a young family who take up alot of my time, my beloved Fuego was starting to demand too much attention with constant breakages, nothing major but little things that needed attention (electrical mainly).
    I didn't have the to time to work on her anymore and it was getting to the stage where I would be praying that she would start for me in the mornings so I could go to work! (this is starting to sound like a movie plot to Christine)
    Not that I bought a new car, but my R16 is MUCH more reliable and convenient now that we have a 2yo to get in and out of the car (was really starting to hate driving a 2 door) and one on the way in a few weeks, my Fuego has been sitting in my driveway ever since. Not to mention the second Fuego now keeping Shanes Citroens company.