Restoring an R12... Engine choice?
  • Register
  • Help

Default Restoring an R12... Engine choice?

Hi,
    I'm restoring a 1972 Renault 12 at the moment and Iv'e gotten to the stage to pick the powerplant. Ive been toying with a few ideas, and have come here to ask the opoinion of some of you guys:
    1: Supercharged 1289cc:
    I would run the supercharger of the Toyota MR2 or corolla 4AGZE engines and put around 6-7psi into the R12. Should intercooling be necessary (which I don't think it is), i would run a small top mount intercooler fed by a gordini type bonnet scoop. This combo should, fingers crossed, net around 100hp at the crank.
    2: Renault 16TS 1500 crossflow:
    This conversion seems relativley straightforward with a decent increase in power. I'd be running the standard 4 speed R12 gearbox with a renault 18 input shaft and bellhousing. The only other problem I would have is I would need to run a rernault 17 sump or custom fabricate one. Any ideas on the performance times you could expect out of a 12 with a 16ts engine?
    3: Renault 18GTS 1600:
    This seems to be a rare conversion, but the upsides I can see is that I could use the 18 sump and wouldn't need a new bellhousing or input shaft to bolt it to the 4 speed R12 box. The other upside is that the engine runs a relativley low compression with 18GTS pistons and sleeves (suitable for supercharging somewhere down the track) but can aso take the 16TX pistons and sleeves for a good NA build up. What is the difference in power between the 16 engine and the 18? What performance could I reasonably be expecting?
    4: Renault 16TS/18GTS hybrid:
    Renault 18 block, 16TS head, cam and pushrods to create a cross flow 1600. The sump will be a perfect fit into the R12 (unlike 16ts), the engine will have more cc than a 16TS and could take 16TX high compression pistons and sleeves for good NA power. With a standard 16TS cam and single downdraught carbie, I'd say 100-110hp would be easily acheivable. Any ideas?

At the moment I'm leaning towards the blown 1300, simply because it's the easiest, cheapest and the least likley for anything to go wrong. The only thing i'm wondering is whether I'll be able to get enough power out of it and still be reliable. What would you guys suggest I do? If there is anything you can think of that I haven't put as an option here, please tell me.

Look forward to your ideas,
    Toby

Advertisement

At the moment I'm leaning towards the blown 1300, simply because it's the easiest, cheapest and the least likley for anything to go wrong. The only thing i'm wondering is whether I'll be able to get enough power out of it and still be reliable. What would you guys suggest I do? If there is anything you can think of that I haven't put as an option here, please tell me.

Toby[/QUOTE]

Easiest? Cheapest? You have to be dreaming buddy. The easiest and cheapest would be the 17/15 transplant. Just drops in with virtually no mods needed. It may be that you will need to do a bit of rewiring because of the engine layout but nothing really expensive. The extra braking from the vented discs would be good..they just bolt on. The 15/17 have a similar floor pan to the 12. The motors have the front mount as well (unlike the 16). If you can find a suitable 15/17 engine it will be cheaper than a supercharger, easier to fit and will give you some extra oomph. Adding the 17 sway bar will also help the handling.

Woo Hoo Honi ko'u 'elemu (Hawaiian)

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by renault12
    Hi,
    I'm restoring a 1972 Renault 12 at the moment and Iv'e gotten to the stage to pick the powerplant. Ive been toying with a few ideas, and have come here to ask the opoinion of some of you guys:
    1: Supercharged 1289cc:
    I would run the supercharger of the Toyota MR2 or corolla 4AGZE engines and put around 6-7psi into the R12. Should intercooling be necessary (which I don't think it is), i would run a small top mount intercooler fed by a gordini type bonnet scoop. This combo should, fingers crossed, net around 100hp at the crank.
    2: Renault 16TS 1500 crossflow:
    This conversion seems relativley straightforward with a decent increase in power. I'd be running the standard 4 speed R12 gearbox with a renault 18 input shaft and bellhousing. The only other problem I would have is I would need to run a rernault 17 sump or custom fabricate one. Any ideas on the performance times you could expect out of a 12 with a 16ts engine?
    3: Renault 18GTS 1600:
    This seems to be a rare conversion, but the upsides I can see is that I could use the 18 sump and wouldn't need a new bellhousing or input shaft to bolt it to the 4 speed R12 box. The other upside is that the engine runs a relativley low compression with 18GTS pistons and sleeves (suitable for supercharging somewhere down the track) but can aso take the 16TX pistons and sleeves for a good NA build up. What is the difference in power between the 16 engine and the 18? What performance could I reasonably be expecting?
    4: Renault 16TS/18GTS hybrid:
    Renault 18 block, 16TS head, cam and pushrods to create a cross flow 1600. The sump will be a perfect fit into the R12 (unlike 16ts), the engine will have more cc than a 16TS and could take 16TX high compression pistons and sleeves for good NA power. With a standard 16TS cam and single downdraught carbie, I'd say 100-110hp would be easily acheivable. Any ideas?

Toby
    You can still pick up the odd cheap R17 for running gear, but many 15/17 fans will want to hang me from the nearest tree for suggesting it...

The R17 running gear will bolt straight in if you use the 17 gearbox (or for better economy and cruising and lower noise a modified R18 5 speed box can be used).

There is no reason why the R12 engine won't handle the boost as it handles more than that in its R5 Turbo application (albeit somewhat modified)

Quote Originally Posted by mistareno
    You can still pick up the odd cheap R17 for running gear, but many 15/17 fans will want to hang me from the nearest tree for suggesting it...

The R17 running gear will bolt straight in if you use the 17 gearbox (or for better economy and cruising and lower noise a modified R18 5 speed box can be used).

There is no reason why the R12 engine won't handle the boost as it handles more than that in its R5 Turbo application (albeit somewhat modified)

Where abouts would you reccomend looking for R17 running gear? How much would you be looking at? What engine did the 17's run? My apologies for all the questions but I really have little idea about the renault 15 or 17.
    Toby

Where abouts would you reccomend looking for R17 running gear? How much would you be looking at? What engine did the 17's run? My apologies for all the questions but I really have little idea about the renault 15 or 17.
    Toby
    Toby,

If you do find a 15/17 that is restorable, let me know... dont rip the guts out of it to send it to a likely grave.

If it isn't restorable let me know anyway, I may be after some bits.

David.
    Powered by high grade French plutonium.

Quote Originally Posted by vivid
    Toby,

If you do find a 15/17 that is restorable, let me know... dont rip the guts out of it to send it to a likely grave.

If it isn't restorable let me know anyway, I may be after some bits.

David.
    Thats what i figured... from what I've been reading the 15/17 is a rare car, and very hard to find in Australia. I didn't reallt want to rip one of these to pieces, I was looking for a moreh humane way of getting some more power.
    Toby

If you found a 17 you may as well restore it instead! Already having 2 12s I think a 15 or 17 would be a welcome change. Much sportier too if you can find one.

hey Renault 12,

How about just getting some good hp out of the 1289 with twin webers cam etc. It's been done a million times with good results? Ask Ross for some specs coz that's what he has in the back of his dauphine. Also saves the small number of 15/17"s getting around.

If you want something different but more expensive maybe bring in a R18 turbo or R5 Alpine turbo motor from NZ. Great power, and the 5 motor should go in very easily while an 18 would be similar to the 17 conversion.

Good luck
    2002 Monaco Blue Renaultsport Clio 172
    1975 R1317 Renault 17 Gordini

Sounds like a good idea...
    Just to clarify the issue I waas never considering using a R17 for the engine as I would restore the whole car if I found one and not just take the engine. I'll have to ask Ross about a good 1289, it certainly sounds like an idea. How would one of these modded 1289's go? much harder than a R16ts engine?
    toby

i think Ross has a 1397 motor but the same principles will apply, 1289 are thought to rev better and 1397 are known for more torque. A worked 16 motor would easily out preform a smaller sierra block but a worked sierra should go as well or better than a standard 16TS and you won't have dramas changing engine mounts, bell housings etc.

Jensen
    2002 Monaco Blue Renaultsport Clio 172
    1975 R1317 Renault 17 Gordini

Toby
    You could try www.partslocator.com.au (currently listing 3 wrecks) - (you could try looking Vivid) - alternatively Clive Woodward in Queanbeyan has a 17 he may be willing to part with 02 6297 9078 .

If you look around you will locate one.

Last edited by BogMaster; 19th September 2005 at 09:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by renault 12
    If you found a 17 you may as well restore it instead! Already having 2 12s I think a 15 or 17 would be a welcome change. Much sportier too if you can find one.
    Some are just beyond it but have reasonable running gear. Finding bits to get a crusty 15/17 into good order would be incredibly more difficult than doing the same for a 12. At the end of the day unless you have a basically well preserved cosmetically intact 15/17 it is not worth the effort for the value of the end result.

If you can find a 15/17 that is fundamentally tacky in the body and cosmetics but with OK running gear do not hesitate to wreck it if you want the engine for your 12.

Quote Originally Posted by BogMaster
    You could try www.partslocator.com.au (currently listing 3 wrecks) - (you could try looking Vivid) - alternatively Clive Woodward in Queanbeyan has a 17 he may be willing to part with 02 6297 9078.
    BogMaster I REALLY wish you hadn't shown me that site.

Quote Originally Posted by BogMaster
    If you can find a 15/17 that is fundamentally tacky in the body and cosmetics but with OK running gear do not hesitate to wreck it if you want the engine for your 12.
    I have to agree, cosmetics are the 'hard to get' bits in most cases of our older froggy cars.

BogMaster I REALLY wish you hadn't shown me that site!

David.